• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the biggest change the world has seen in your lifetime?"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Whats wrong with starting from scratch, neither took any skill to build which we no longer have
    Not sure we are quite as good at rubbing along with the Frogs to be fair.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    As mentioned earlier. Saturn V and Concorde. Not to say we couldn't make them again, but we'd have to start from scratch.
    Whats wrong with starting from scratch, neither took any skill to build which we no longer have

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Making a sword is easy - just as making a chair is easy. Making an amazing sword that is folded hundreds of times is very very hard.
    There are still artisan samurai sword makers in Japan making swords with thousands of folded layers

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Making a sword is easy - just as making a chair is easy. Making an amazing sword that is folded hundreds of times is very very hard.
    I have tried DIY and I can assure you it isn't easy. At least, not a chair that's suitable for a 16 stone person to sit upon with confidence.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Saw a blacksmith on TV not so long ago make a bill hook from scratch. It didnt even need sharpening to be used (though he did put an edge on it shortly after). It cant be much of a step to make a sword.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'll bite. Name one

The only thing I can think of which might qualify is violins whose technique in manufacture has taken a few steps backwards over the centuries. But we can still make them
    As mentioned earlier. Saturn V and Concorde. Not to say we couldn't make them again, but we'd have to start from scratch.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post

Saw a blacksmith on TV not so long ago make a bill hook from scratch. It didnt even need sharpening to be used (though he did put an edge on it shortly after). It cant be much of a step to make a sword.
    Yes you can make a sword, even a fancy looking ceremonial one, almost as easily as a billhook. But to make a Saxon or Samurai multilayered sword that will stay sharp and not snap like a twig is much harder.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Super slim TVs and Monitors. Do you remember when having a 21" monitor meant you had to use a 10 foot table for the back of it. Also a tv larger than 42" took up half the lounge + dining room.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    A real example... maybe sword-making?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    There are still master sword makers.

In Japan.
    and the UK

Crisp & Sons - Sword Cutlers - Military & Ceremonial Sword Refurbishment, Sword Makers UK

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    And we still have the preserved knowledge to revive old skills.

A real example... maybe sword-making?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    There are many such examples. Machines we can no longer build because we don't have the skills any more.
    I'll bite. Name one

The only thing I can think of which might qualify is violins whose technique in manufacture has taken a few steps backwards over the centuries. But we can still make them
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 19 January 2012, 14:04.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    The biggest impact is the silicon chip. It created a step change in technology which has been the root of all other change and advancement.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    For me it is the arrival of the dishwasher, the drier, the clothes drier and satellite TV. It means that the wife has more time to do er chores leaving me more time to watch what I want
    Yes, the site of one's wife's pretty little head bobbing up and down at waist height is something I like to watch too.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    For me it is the arrival of the dishwasher, the drier, the clothes drier and satellite TV. It means that the wife has more time to do er chores leaving me more time to watch what I want

Leave a comment:

Working...
X