• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Family-friendly towns in England"

Collapse

• Joeman
    replied
    Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
    I know that every time this question pops up, it elicits a deluge of cynicism, but I'd like to get some advice on family-friendly towns in SW England, preferably, between the M3 and M4 corridor. I live in the Continent, but my expecting wife is British. We've thought about relocating to the UK so that my child can get easier access to the grandparents.

My criteria:

-outside London
    -IT jobs available
    -good public schools
    -family-friendly atmosphere
    -reasonable house prices <=500K

Any clues?

Sevenoaks...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    That's a rubbish area. Parts of Weeke and Stanmore in Winchester are to be avoided.

"Unlike most Brits, I practice the Germanic habit of saving and not living beyond my means. "

Only trying to help mate.
    Ex council house...

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    It's at the top of my list if anything comes up at Hinckley Point.
    Never depend on working locally down here. The rates are crap. I generally work in London or Reading or up the M5 towards Birmingham. Although that said several of the larger integration firms have work from home rules so I have done my current gig and my new one mostly sat at home. It's all commutable.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Swindon is nice this time of year.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Then you should move to Somerset. Theres no point moving to the aera where you are looking, when you will have no grandparent support for babysitting. You will have the inconvenience of having to drive away from London with everyone else every time there is a bank holiday and your wife wants to see her parents.

I moved my family to Somerset nearly 10 years ago this year. It's the best thing I ever did. You can get into London from Bristol or Bath Spa train stations in an hour and half and have a clear run down the M4 and A303,M3 for the Thames gateway. I am near Bristol airport as well so I can make it to Amsterdam in 50 minutes. It has a bonus of a very nice style of life when you are home at the weekends and there are nice places in your price range down here.
    Sshhh don't tell everyone.

On the downside the SW can be a more expensive place to live than London as good contract rates are few and far between.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Somerset. So everything in a 100 mile radius would be OK for the weekend-odd family visit: Bristol, Swindon, Portsmouth, SOuthampton, Reading.

I went to Exeter last summer and I liked it a lot.
    If you like where you currently live, why not spend the money buying somewhere nearby to house the grandparents?

Leave a comment:

• KaiserWilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Warwick is good if you are happy with M40 corridor. If that is too small, then Leamington Spa might suit, which has good train links to London, Birmingham (and airport) and Reading.

House prices cheaper than South and some IT industry. Schools good in Warwick.
    That's 125m to my inlaws. A bit far away, IMO. I'll stick to Bristol or Bath. Bath is awesome (sorry, lovely), but house prices are high.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Warwick is good if you are happy with M40 corridor. If that is too small, then Leamington Spa might suit, which has good train links to London, Birmingham (and airport) and Reading.

House prices cheaper than South and some IT industry. Schools good in Warwick.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I thought you were Kaiser's willy?
    Es tut mir leid, aber ich verstehe nicht......

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    Yep, just looked up the renting rates for Taunton. Pretty reasonable by Southern standards, two airports and the seaside not far away for the kids. M5 might be a bit of a drag during the holiday season, but anything nearer to London is a drag ALL the time.

I thought you were Kaiser's willy?

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Yep, just looked up the renting rates for Taunton. Pretty reasonable by Southern standards, two airports and the seaside not far away for the kids. M5 might be a bit of a drag during the holiday season, but anything nearer to London is a drag ALL the time.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Wales for £250K easy!
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    4 bed detached in Wales for £250K easy!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    A quick search gave this for 237K

3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in Westman Road, Winchester, SO22

OK. Not Buckingham Palace, but modest enough for a family.

Unlike most Brits, I'm a practice the Germanic habit of saving and not living beyond my means.
    Boring prick

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    You won't find much for 250K in nice areas, 400K is more like it.
    In the south, definitely (which is what he wanted). If you try the north, or Scotland, you'd have a fighting chance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X