• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working / living in Dubai"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well at least Lord Haw Haw already had an alternative moniker: Comical Ali
    I look forward to lots of threads about how Dubai is paradise on earth and how Mr. Ali is having the time of his life.
    It's not a paradise. far from it.

In fact it can be likened to a pip tit.
    Nice and attractive from the outside, touchy feely

but under the surface its a roiling festering lump of sh1t.

I had this mate right, came back from the place last thursday. well, when I say came back, I mean parts of him came back.
    He was attacked up the alley near the Regency hotel, and they told him he had to submit to 'bunga Salaam' or they would cut bits off him. Needless to say, he put up a fight. As he said in the hospital, just before he expired
    'No one wants to subject themselves to bunga salaam from a six foot six begger up the alley near the regency'

dont go there. stay at home

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Well at least Lord Haw Haw already had an alternative moniker: Comical Ali
    I look forward to lots of threads about how Dubai is paradise on earth and how Mr. Ali is having the time of his life.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by aceboy View Post
    Dont ever bounce a cheque!!
    I presume there are no recruitment agencies out there

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And if one of those cheques bounces...
    Dont ever bounce a cheque!!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    We know its bad but then again, you have seen who wrote the article? Another reason to not trust the media 100%.
    Johann Hari is a bit of an idiot, but to be honest, he is a long way from being the only journalist who has made up stories, abused social media, wikipedia, amazon reviews etc. Plenty of them are at it, he just got caught.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And so I feel sorry for his sprog.
    It's not his.

HTH

mailman

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by aceboy View Post
    you usually have to pay for your property rent 1 years in advance in post dated cheques
    And if one of those cheques bounces...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Both the wife and I are trying to dis it cause we're apprehensive about such places.
    Get a couple of more wifes whilst at Dubai, threaten to return back with one of them if your wife v1 does not appreciate you more.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    We know its bad but then again, you have seen who wrote the article? Another reason to not trust the media 100%.
    I noticed that but there are enough bits in that article to ignore the fact the author turned out to be an idiot.

I can safely say its not a part of the world I'm rushing to go to mainly because I hate heat.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I think most people who end up outsourced here can return home as and when they want.

Well at least the bobs at current clientco can. It doesn't seem to be an option for the poor sods in that article.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Ok, who the **** are you and what've you done with DodgyAgent?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Bob's cheaper brother I take it? Not much difference to companies who outsource here really...
    I think most people who end up outsourced here can return home as and when they want.

Well at least the bobs at current clientco can. It doesn't seem to be an option for the poor sods in that article.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I have been there and seen the hordes of workers I think it is morally wrong to do business there.
    Bob's cheaper brother I take it? Not much difference to companies who outsource here really...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I have been there and seen the hordes of workers I think it is morally wrong to do business there.
    Ok, who the **** are you and what've you done with DodgyAgent?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Can I just re-iterate.. It gets fookin hot in summer and that coupled with 100% humidity makes it very uncomfortable. Granted you are in doors most of the time and everything has aircon on full blast it is awful. Most people try and go on holiday around this time.
    Very true - we were there just as the heat was ramping up... 40 degrees or so around Easter was hot but OK, but it gets to more like 50 and everyone just hides.
    I don't know you're right about 100% humidity though, it's a desert. The fact it's dry heat is the only reason 40 degrees is bearable... it was a bit like Vegas in the summer.

I spent some time out there and didn't have a problem finding alcohol anywhere really.
    Easy to find, but it's not available everywhere like here. I found it rather weird being in restaurants with no wine/beer... you have to specifically choose a restaurant with alcohol (we went to the horse-riding club).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X