• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm not a PC anymore"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    There be tons of subtle attributes
    Name some

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Mac Evangelist: Once you get a Mac you'll never look back
    Me: Hmm, I'll give it some thought
    Me: So I got a Mac
    ME: And? <shudders with delicious anticipation>
    Me: I'm not that impressed
    ME: You must be using it wrong

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Can't see the option on my new 2.3 Nexus S, or for that matter my old 2.2 phone. Though I can't help feeling the grid of icons app screen is a very Apple, and a very backwards way of using it (think Windows 3.1 Program Manager). With Android you just customise your main screens with the things you want.
    Maybe it's phone vendor specific - I don't think I could do it on my HTC Desire, but don't know what version that was on. You can do it on the Samsung Galaxy S II, though.

I tend to just use the Google search bar on the phone when I want to use an App that isn't on the home page(s), though.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I can do it on Gingerbread (2.3.3) - in the Applications screens, there is an option to add a new folder, or add a new page.

Not sure if I could do it on my previous Android phones - don't think I ever tried.
    Can't see the option on my new 2.3 Nexus S, or for that matter my old 2.2 phone. Though I can't help feeling the grid of icons app screen is a very Apple, and a very backwards way of using it (think Windows 3.1 Program Manager). With Android you just customise your main screens with the things you want.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you cannot see the difference you're probably using OS X like you are windows. There be tons of subtle attributes you quickly take for granted and soon forget to question when you become used to using the OS. Apple has given far more thought into human machine interface than Windows ever did.
    Mac Evangelist: Once you get a Mac you'll never look back
    Me: Hmm, I'll give it some thought
    Me: So I got a Mac
    ME: And? <shudders with delicious anticipation>
    Me: I'm not that impressed
    ME: You must be using it wrong

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Apple has given far more thought into human machine interface than Windows ever did.
    It's got a terminal window too, all I need to work

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I quite like my Mac, but I can't see how it's any better than my Windows PC apart from the shiny case. And I still don't think there is a credible alternative to MS-Office, given that "very good compatibility with MS" is a major priority.
    If you cannot see the difference you're probably using OS X like you are windows. There be tons of subtle attributes you quickly take for granted and soon forget to question when you become used to using the OS. Apple has given far more thought into human machine interface than Windows ever did.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Hmm, most of those I knew about and either don't use or find are pretty much on a Par with W7 equivalents.

Multitouch I don't really find that useful, certainly not on a desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

I quite like my Mac, but I can't see how it's any better than my Windows PC apart from the shiny case. And I still don't think there is a credible alternative to MS-Office, given that "very good compatibility with MS" is a major priority.
    My opinion, but these things make my life easier on a daily basis.
    Time machine
    Finder (previews etc)
    iLife suite
    Spaces/expose/whatever it's called now
    Full screen apps
    Multitouch gestures

I'm sure there's more, and some stuff that isn't so nice (I like that new snap to half screen thing in windows) but it's my favourite at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The job may well be but I've work to do and don't have time to faff around finding that DLL or restart 'sorry cannot close at this time' etc
    I don't remember having to find a DLL in the last 5 years, and I think My Mac crashed more recently than my Windows PC (neither makes a habit of it).

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It seems to me that Apple moved towards using commodity PC hardware because of it's proven longevity as a platform. Perhaps if they had chosen Intel instead of PowerPC to replace the 68000 back in the day they wouldn't have spent so long in the wilderness.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Reputation comment
    Macs are for gays. DP.
    subtle, I like your style DP

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Maybe they added that feature, I'm on Froyo and can't add folders to the Apps screens, only to the home screens. Unless I've missed something. Given that in my search the complaint appears to be a common one, probably not. With iOS you can drag on app over another to create a group into which other apps can be dropped, without creating separate shortcuts.
    I can do it on Gingerbread (2.3.3) - in the Applications screens, there is an option to add a new folder, or add a new page.

Not sure if I could do it on my previous Android phones - don't think I ever tried.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Not sure what iOS does in terms of grouping, but I have related Apps in folders, both on my home pages and also in the Applications menu screens.
    Maybe they added that feature, I'm on Froyo and can't add folders to the Apps screens, only to the home screens. Unless I've missed something. Given that in my search the complaint appears to be a common one, probably not. With iOS you can drag on app over another to create a group into which other apps can be dropped, without creating separate shortcuts.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    How come I can't group apps on my Android like on iOS without having to download third party software that's possibly riddled with bugs or ads, takes up CPU/memory and might go poof with future O/S upgrades? Such a simple obvious thing to provide. (You can create folders on the home screen and move shortcuts to folders, but that isn't what I want).
    Not sure what iOS does in terms of grouping, but I have related Apps in folders, both on my home pages and also in the Applications menu screens.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X