• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chrismas Small Talk"

Collapse

• Shivers
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That plan fails if a BJ under the tree is your dream Xmas.
    Live the dream - just ask nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    There is a lot to be said for going out over Christmas, and i mean way out like barbados or skiing.

We have to have the wifes sister and husband round, they have never been on holiday only ever go shopping when he is not at work and they have not a single friend, they bring nothing to the party. me and my son's have a competition to see how long the husband can go without uttering the words "A bloke at work" then we revert to how many times in the day he says it.

Apart from the obvious, (telling them to feck off) what am i going to do!!!
    Do the christmas quiz in the newspaper.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
    Just completely ignore them and go about your business as if they weren't there - it will be like the Xmas you've always dreamed of
    That plan fails if a BJ under the tree is your dream Xmas.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Why not appear to get raving drunk very early in the morning.
    Why pretend?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    talk about their holidays,
    read some of the crap jokes from the crackers
    tell them about your strange neighbours
    talk about the dog
    ask him about his boss
    tell him about how you are experimenting with cooking popcorn (or similar)

dont mention -
    religion
    politics
    death
    wars
    global warming

small talk - it aint easy - but someones got to do it

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    your implication with the comment was that you may need to remember not to be too cheerful as people may suspect you of having an affair.

My comment was meant to imply that that was highly unlikely!

I'm not as miserable in real life as my internet persona might suggest

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    your implication with the comment was that you may need to remember not to be too cheerful as people may suspect you of having an affair.

My comment was meant to imply that that was highly unlikely!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I heard a rumour that you don't really do you!

Am i being thick or does that not make sense?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'll have to keep that one in mind
    I heard a rumour that you don't really do you!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Had a family do a few months back. My nephews are mostly enjoyably wierd but one has always been rather quiet and dull, except on this occasion when he was really animated. We all said "he must have something on the side" and a month or two later his wife found out he had. Never pays to let it show you are having fun.
    I'll have to keep that one in mind

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Had a family do a few months back. My nephews are mostly enjoyably wierd but one has always been rather quiet and dull, except on this occasion when he was really animated. We all said "he must have something on the side" and a month or two later his wife found out he had. Never pays to let it show you are having fun.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Thank your lucky stars. I got home yesterday to find 6 people in my house eating my food and drinking my beer.
    And doing your wife no doubt......

Happy Xmas.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    On Xmas day got the wifes sisters last boyfriend(ex) coming over(as he was on his own for xmas) as well as her present boyfriend. They've not met before. Could be priceless.
    It sounds a bit Jeremy Kyle to me.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    On Xmas day got the wifes sisters last boyfriend(ex) coming over(as he was on his own for xmas) as well as her present boyfriend. They've not met before. Could be priceless.
    Nice, nothing better than a good punchup at christmas, keep the booze flowing

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Yippee. Talking about physics, my book Basic Superfluids arrived this morning. Looks like it's pitched just right - Not too simplistic, but nor full of hideous looking equations.

and obviously an ideal book to read while sipping a good whisky.
    Looks good. I've just ordered it for my dads birthday. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Shivers View Post

My usual tactic is to ask for a book I've been looking forward to reading for a while. On Sunday, I'll be hopefully reading 'why does e=mc2' by Brian Cox whilst sipping whisky and letting the in-laws etc get on with it. Hopefully it's a decent read.
    Yippee. Talking about physics, my book Basic Superfluids arrived this morning. Looks like it's pitched just right - Not too simplistic, but nor full of hideous looking equations.

The book ... give(s) a readable introduction to the three superfluids of low temperature physics. A short chapter describing experimental techniques is included. The emphasis throughout is on physical principles rather than technical detail, with the aim of introducing the subject in an accessible yet authoritative way
    and obviously an ideal book to read while sipping a good whisky.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X