• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Eurozone panic is over"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    So the one they will take is to keep going until Greece and Italy have no choice but to leave.
    Sounds like a good plan.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    He'll be gone in April though, surely?
    Ah, good point.

Who knows with the French voter though.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Imagine Sarkhozy being told by the Germans to f**k off with the rest of the dodgy states!
    He'll be gone in April though, surely?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Yes - but it is very hard for a weak currency to leave the Euro. It is easier(though still hard) for a stronger currency to leave.

I still hope there will become a Northern Euro leaving the southerners to the current Euro. The Southern block should be led by France.
    Imagine Sarkhozy being told by the Germans to f**k off with the rest of the dodgy states!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    So the one they will take is to keep going until Greece and Italy have no choice but to leave.
    Yes - but it is very hard for a weak currency to leave the Euro. It is easier(though still hard) for a stronger currency to leave.

I still hope there will become a Northern Euro leaving the southerners to the current Euro. The Southern block should be led by France.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    There is no orderly solution. The least worst is for Germany and Northern block countries to leave the Euro. The second worst is to print Euros.

But I agree that the wrong decision will be made - not just on idealistic grounds but also because of what is acceptable to German voters.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Firstly, they're not doing QE in the standard sense. LTROs are not QE.
    Secondly austerity will not work: how on earth are the PIIGs to recover if the medicine is killing the patient? 10 years ago they same medicine was tried in Argentina. It didn't work - they defaulted.
    Lastly I hope an orderly solution is found to the Euro problem or the economic consequences could be dire - but I fear not because the Germans are doing what they've always done historically: making the wrong decision on idealistic grounds.
    There is no orderly solution. The least worst is for Germany and Northern block countries to leave the Euro. The second worst is to print Euros.

But I agree that the wrong decision will be made - not just on idealistic grounds but also because of what is acceptable to German voters.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Eurosceptics are in a complete muddle, all they know is they don´t want the Euro to work, because.....well because it´s there.
    I haven't detected a complete muddle at all.

Their argument has been consistent for more than 20 years - which is that the common currency won't work in the long run because the member states have such diverse economies, governments and fiscal policies.

And they are being proved right.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Eurosceptics are in a complete muddle, all they know is they don´t want the Euro to work, because.....well because it´s there.
    Or they've been to somewhere like Spain or Greece and can see that it isn't working.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Rather like the aspirin that Cameron proposes before he´ll forward the loans?

I like the way the argument switches, before the ECB did quantative easing; this was seen as the reason why the Euro was going to collapse, now they´re doing quantative easing, that´s not right either.

Could it be that the right solution is to get government spending down, and to use quantative easing to get over the cash flow problem?

Maybe...oh hang on, that´s what they´re doing.

Firstly, they're not doing QE in the standard sense. LTROs are not QE.
    Secondly austerity will not work: how on earth are the PIIGs to recover if the medicine is killing the patient? 10 years ago they same medicine was tried in Argentina. It didn't work - they defaulted.
    Lastly I hope an orderly solution is found to the Euro problem or the economic consequences could be dire - but I fear not because the Germans are doing what they've always done historically: making the wrong decision on idealistic grounds.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Apparently resumed its downward march now. MArkets see that the loans are just an aspirin to deal with the pain, not a solution
    Rather like the aspirin that Cameron proposes before he´ll forward the loans?

I like the way the argument switches, before the ECB did quantative easing; this was seen as the reason why the Euro was going to collapse, now they´re doing quantative easing, that´s not right either.

Could it be that the right solution is to get government spending down, and to use quantative easing to get over the cash flow problem?

Maybe...oh hang on, that´s what they´re doing.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    it ain't over till the fat italian banker sings

one of these countries in trouble is gonna go pop as sure as eggs is eggs
    is found dangling under Blackfriars Bridge

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    it ain't over till the fat italian banker sings

one of these countries in trouble is gonna go pop as sure as eggs is eggs

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The markets keep deciding the panic is over - then 2 weeks later change their mind.
    Apparently resumed its downward march now. MArkets see that the loans are just an aspirin to deal with the pain, not a solution

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The markets keep deciding the panic is over - then 2 weeks later change their mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X