• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Wind 1 Turbine 0

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wind 1 Turbine 0"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    so when it is too windy we turn off the things we use to generate electricity from wind

what next blinds for fu<king solar panels..

jeez what is the world coming to???
    Or having to have overflows so hydroelectric doesn't get washed away in floods. Crazy. Oh - wait...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke
    No. just a contractor. But I can use Google, wikipedia and I occasionally open a scientific journal.

I therefore know that there was never a proposal to build 32K wind turbines, that Nil Axel Morner is a nutter, that DDT is still in use, that there is solid evidence for AGW, and there are those that deny it.

And so forth. No other skills needed.
    and the moon landings were faked and Father Christmas is real

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    so when it is too windy we turn off the things we use to generate electricity from wind

what next blinds for fu<king solar panels..

jeez what is the world coming to???

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    A lot of Danish homes have a gas furnace that burns natural gas from the North see.

Unless you consider that renevable - I do not believe that these homes got their heating from renewable energy sources.
    So what? pj clearly stated electricity not energy. And even in the UK gas is very popular for heating.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Pseudo-scientific? Just what are your qualifications?
    Googling, led me to believe he is in fact a Professor in a Northern Uni, assuming I am correct in my findings.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Oh I've wound up the deniers. Must be doing something right.
    Right on fecking cue! That's the kind of phrase used by preachers, not scientists.

In one of the discussions of the subject I got involved with about 4 years ago, someone accused me of being a "Holocaust denier".

It was a filthy trick to pull and I knew immediately that the other guy was preaching rather than pursuing a reasoned argument.

I've been cynical about the whole thing ever since. As EO put it, your lot alienated me.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Just stop reproducing any pseudoscientific tabloid blogospheric hogwash that happens to fit in with the denier's world view (e.g. branding a whole movement as lunatics based on a wholly mythical DDT ban), and there'll be nod need for anyone to point out that it is hogwash.

Simples.
    Pseudo-scientific? Just what are your qualifications?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I have never been a politicised person. I only vote now and then. The strongest I ever felt on an issue was probably defence and maybe fox hunting, which I thought was a bit naff.

I never thought about Greenpeace or the WWF or global warming much, or the greens or the environment. I was quite happy to let the missus sort the different bins out.

But after listening to you for the last year, and others like you, I have to say that I am 100% against everything you stand for. I dont want to be ruled by non accountable zealot NGO's and I dont want your brand of petty back biting data fudging non falsifiable science either

Maybe one day it will dawn on you that your shrill tub thumping can actually alienate otherwise moderate minds
    Well said EO!

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Well, Denmark gets 20% of all its electricity from wind, and are heading to 50% of all its electricity by 2025. About 50-80 hours a year, they get 100% of their electricity from wind. Yes, it is entirely technically possible to totally decarbonise the UK power sector within a few decades, given the political will. Check out Zero Carbon Britain or Positive Energy from WWF or independent studies from PriceWaterhouseCoopers, McKinseys, EREC, Gregor Czisch, Jacobson & Delucchi et al

100 % renewable electricity - PwC UK
    http://assets.wwf.org.uk/downloads/p...l_designed.pdf
    Roadmap 2050

In reality we will move towards a mix of nuclear, renewable and CCS, as described in the DECC (mis) represented in the 32K turbines thread. There's also a serious discussion of the costs of intermittency around if you care to look.

Key technology will be the development of a smart interconnection grid using HVDC allowing us to access hydro from Scandanavia to concentrated solar from North Africa. The wind is always blowing somewhere.

DESERTEC Foundation: Technologies
    As has been pointed out a number of times on this board 100% renewables is the emperors new clothes.
    Have you considered the question of what happens when the wind doesn't blow or (as right now) blows too much? Just how would you be supplying Scotland and the North today? Today when it is chuffin freezin! All the turbines are off. The coal and gas stations that have been running in standby are now on line. When in standby they are burning fuel for nothing, they have to produce watt for watt what the turbines produce but are not online so the greens and Govt. can point and say look we have 20% renewables. We are doing our bit AND meeting our targets.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    A lot of Danish homes have a gas furnace that burns natural gas from the North see.

Unless you consider that renevable - I do not believe that these homes got their heating from renewable energy sources.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I have never been a politicised person. I only vote now and then. The strongest I ever felt on an issue was probably defence and maybe fox hunting, which I thought was a bit naff.

I never thought about Greenpeace or the WWF or global warming much, or the greens or the environment. I was quite happy to let the missus sort the different bins out.

But after listening to you for the last year, and others like you, I have to say that I am 100% against everything you stand for. I dont want to be ruled by non accountable zealot NGO's and I dont want your brand of petty back biting data fudging non falsifiable science either

Maybe one day it will dawn on you that your shrill tub thumping can actually alienate otherwise moderate minds

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can renewables work beyond a token gesture/global warming gimmick?

If money was (almost) no object, with wave energy, wind energy, solar, biomass, geothermal and hydro could we switch off every fossil and nuclear power station in Britain. Could it work from a practical point of view?

I'm actually interested to know.
    Take a look at "Sustainable energy without the hot air" and you can work it out in a spreadsheet.

Ch. 18 does it for you. Short answer is not without greatly reducing current consumption. Electricity maybe but not all energy use.
    Last edited by doodab; 9 December 2011, 12:55.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

If money was (almost) no object, with wave energy, wind energy, solar, biomass, geothermal and hydro could we switch off every fossil and nuclear power station in Britain. Could it work from a practical point of view?

this is the US a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

We had this discussion in the 32000 turbines thread. Or I tried to, but BB and pj hijacked it and started throwing graphs around.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X