• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wind 1 Turbine 0

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke
    World average - Deaths per TWh

Coal – 161
    Wind - 0.15

On average, 6 human beings a day die digging coal.

Chortle. Snigger.
    Well Phil, let’s just ignore the major detail that only conventional fossil fuelled, peak power hydro and load following nuclear power stations enabled you yesterday, in this decidedly inclement windy weather, to provide the necessary stable electrical load to operate your computer to give you the freedom to write the above invective.

Let’s ignore also the fact that your devotedly pro-global warming, reflexed, strawmaned, snarky statement only displays the circumstance that there are vastly more conventional fossil fuelled power stations in operation compared with the token sample of windmills.

But the fact that you laugh at and insult the sanctity of the human sacrifice that has endeavoured to give us cheap energy in order to live in the comfort, health and security in which we cherish, shows to everyone here, once again, that you are simply another condescending individual conforming to the stereotype of a predictably mendacious, embittered, zealous .
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      'anal bum tickler'
      "Top Secret" now that was a funny movie.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Did I mis-hear, or did they report measured wind speed of 165mph?!
        Twas in the Cairngorms, so about 4000 ft above sea level, but you're right, it's a lot.

Apparently only 8 mph lower than the highest recorded.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Don't jest this town is not big enough for two pricks.
          FTFY
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Can renewables work beyond a token gesture/global warming gimmick?

If money was (almost) no object, with wave energy, wind energy, solar, biomass, geothermal and hydro could we switch off every fossil and nuclear power station in Britain. Could it work from a practical point of view?

I'm actually interested to know.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

If money was (almost) no object, with wave energy, wind energy, solar, biomass, geothermal and hydro could we switch off every fossil and nuclear power station in Britain. Could it work from a practical point of view?

We had this discussion in the 32000 turbines thread. Or I tried to, but BB and pj hijacked it and started throwing graphs around.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

this is the US a few years ago.
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Take a look at "Sustainable energy without the hot air" and you can work it out in a spreadsheet.

Ch. 18 does it for you. Short answer is not without greatly reducing current consumption. Electricity maybe but not all energy use.
                  Last edited by doodab; 9 December 2011, 12:55.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I have never been a politicised person. I only vote now and then. The strongest I ever felt on an issue was probably defence and maybe fox hunting, which I thought was a bit naff.

I never thought about Greenpeace or the WWF or global warming much, or the greens or the environment. I was quite happy to let the missus sort the different bins out.

But after listening to you for the last year, and others like you, I have to say that I am 100% against everything you stand for. I dont want to be ruled by non accountable zealot NGO's and I dont want your brand of petty back biting data fudging non falsifiable science either

Maybe one day it will dawn on you that your shrill tub thumping can actually alienate otherwise moderate minds

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

A lot of Danish homes have a gas furnace that burns natural gas from the North see.

Unless you consider that renevable - I do not believe that these homes got their heating from renewable energy sources.
                      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                      X