• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has Oracle always been this naff?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes, I had that "problem" myself.

In suity's defence, SQL Developer now ships with the 11g R2 client installer which is what he's actually using. I do need to install that myself later so I'll have an experiment and see if I can balls it up as much as he has.
    Didn't realise that it was now part of the 11g client as well - I didn't install it from there when I did the client install in January.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

In suity's defence, SQL Developer now ships with the 11g R2 client installer which is what he's actually using. I do need to install that myself later so I'll have an experiment and see if I can balls it up as much as he has.
    Some of the features in 3.1 look quite tasty as well, but I daren't try that in case I have problems with installing it and I don't know what to do.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I pointed it to java.exe and it ran fine.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    In Suity's defence, I've just tried installing SQL Developer 3.

I downloaded the version which didn't come with the JDK, and unzipped everything.

I ran sqldeveloper.exe and it asked me for a path to java.exe

Ah, I see the problem here; you should always get a female assistant to 'unzip everything'.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    In Suity's defence, I've just tried installing SQL Developer 3.

I downloaded the version which didn't come with the JDK, and unzipped everything.

I ran sqldeveloper.exe and it asked me for a path to java.exe

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    There's instructions? It was just the win32 client install. Click setup.exe, next, next, next, done. Alles. Kaput.
    FWIW, SQL Developer doesn't have a "Client install".

That said, the downloads page gives you a few options. Looks like you downloaded the one that says:

Originally posted by Oracle Corporation
    Oracle SQL Developer for 32-bit Windows (This zip does not include a JDK)
    (147 M)

To install and run:
    - Ensure you have a JDK installed, if not, download here
    (click the Download for JDK 6 Update <xx>, where <xx> is the latest update)
    - Download the file above
    - Extract sqldeveloper.zip into any folder, using folder names
    - Within that folder, open the sqldeveloper folder
    - Double-click sqldeveloper.exe
    I can understand that from that you might not realize that you need a JDK. I blame Oracle for hiding it in plain sight.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    It does say in the instructions that you need the JDK. Did you read the instructions?

Just saying like
    There's instructions? It was just the win32 client install. Click setup.exe, next, next, next, done. Alles. Kaput.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Dear Twunt,

You need more than just the JRE, you need the JDK. And when you install it, and point SQL Developer at the relevant java.exe it then falls over saying MSVCRT100.dll is missing.

So you have to manually copy that from the java/bin to the SQL Developer folder.

Shoddy product IMHO. Hey ho. You never have to arse around looking for the releveant .Net DK and move dlls around to run a .Net app. Just saying like.

Oh and FOAD.

TIA

Suity
    It does say in the instructions that you need the JDK. Did you read the instructions?

Before you install SQL Developer, look at the remaining sections of this guide to see if you need to know or do anything else first.
    Just saying like

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Isn't your DLL error telling you you need the MSVC runtimes installed? Or is that a slightly different DLL?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    No most people will already have a Java runtime installed and you really don't want multiple Java runtimes on computer.

Either way another tulip statement from SY.

As a contractor toad is great I've used it for 10 years. I doubt however that SY could afford to buy it.
    Dear Twunt,

You need more than just the JRE, you need the JDK. And when you install it, and point SQL Developer at the relevant java.exe it then falls over saying MSVCRT100.dll is missing.

So you have to manually copy that from the java/bin to the SQL Developer folder.

Shoddy product IMHO. Hey ho. You never have to arse around looking for the releveant .Net DK and move dlls around to run a .Net app. Just saying like.

Oh and FOAD.

TIA

Suity

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Sounds familiar but I'm not sure - it basically does a kind of "remote-desktop"/thin-client link to the DB? Is this the one which is a Java app?
    SQL Developer is written in Java so it's platform agnostic. I run it on Windows in a VM and also natively on Linux Mint and on Oracle Enterprise Linux.

There is also a public site where you can file enhancement requests, which shows how many they have implemented and (I think) what they think about the requests. There's lots of resources and tips as well.

And it's free.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    They don't connect using ODBC so no
    Visual Studio 2010 can connect through the server explorer to Oracle or any ODBC datasource.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Out of interest... do the MS dev tools let you work against non-MS DBs? Obviously you can hook your code to any ODBC DB, but their dev tools were pretty nice when I tried the express version of 2005/2008.
    They don't connect using ODBC so no

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    SQL Developer - which Suity can't get to work.
    Sounds familiar but I'm not sure - it basically does a kind of "remote-desktop"/thin-client link to the DB? Is this the one which is a Java app?

Out of interest... do the MS dev tools let you work against non-MS DBs? Obviously you can hook your code to any ODBC DB, but their dev tools were pretty nice when I tried the express version of 2005/2008.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'll have a look at SQL Developer. We use Toad here. Frankly though I think Oracle is a piece of tulipe.

In the process of replacing it with Netezza.
    Poor man's Teradata.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X