• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Oracle always been this naff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Not that I can see, but it will connect via JDBC, LDAP, TNS or providing the connection details to the Oracle database (host, port and SID/service name)
    Additionally, if you wanted to install the Oracle ODBC drivers, then you'd need to have a TNS entry, which kind of defeats the object.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

SQL Developer - which Suity can't get to work.

You can also do database comparisons, data modelling, testing, session monitoring, debugging, DBA tasks....

Not that I can see, but it will connect via JDBC, LDAP, TNS or providing the connection details to the Oracle database (host, port and SID/service name)
      I'll have a look at SQL Developer. We use Toad here. Frankly though I think Oracle is a piece of tulipe.

In the process of replacing it with Netezza.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I'll have a look at SQL Developer. We use Toad here. Frankly though I think Oracle is a piece of tulipe.

In the process of replacing it with Netezza.
        Poor man's Teradata.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

SQL Developer - which Suity can't get to work.
          Sounds familiar but I'm not sure - it basically does a kind of "remote-desktop"/thin-client link to the DB? Is this the one which is a Java app?

Out of interest... do the MS dev tools let you work against non-MS DBs? Obviously you can hook your code to any ODBC DB, but their dev tools were pretty nice when I tried the express version of 2005/2008.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Out of interest... do the MS dev tools let you work against non-MS DBs? Obviously you can hook your code to any ODBC DB, but their dev tools were pretty nice when I tried the express version of 2005/2008.
            They don't connect using ODBC so no
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              They don't connect using ODBC so no
              Visual Studio 2010 can connect through the server explorer to Oracle or any ODBC datasource.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Sounds familiar but I'm not sure - it basically does a kind of "remote-desktop"/thin-client link to the DB? Is this the one which is a Java app?
                SQL Developer is written in Java so it's platform agnostic. I run it on Windows in a VM and also natively on Linux Mint and on Oracle Enterprise Linux.

There is also a public site where you can file enhancement requests, which shows how many they have implemented and (I think) what they think about the requests. There's lots of resources and tips as well.

And it's free.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  No most people will already have a Java runtime installed and you really don't want multiple Java runtimes on computer.

Either way another tulip statement from SY.

As a contractor toad is great I've used it for 10 years. I doubt however that SY could afford to buy it.
                  Dear Twunt,

You need more than just the JRE, you need the JDK. And when you install it, and point SQL Developer at the relevant java.exe it then falls over saying MSVCRT100.dll is missing.

So you have to manually copy that from the java/bin to the SQL Developer folder.

Shoddy product IMHO. Hey ho. You never have to arse around looking for the releveant .Net DK and move dlls around to run a .Net app. Just saying like.

Oh and FOAD.

TIA

Suity
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Isn't your DLL error telling you you need the MSVC runtimes installed? Or is that a slightly different DLL?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Dear Twunt,

You need more than just the JRE, you need the JDK. And when you install it, and point SQL Developer at the relevant java.exe it then falls over saying MSVCRT100.dll is missing.

So you have to manually copy that from the java/bin to the SQL Developer folder.

Shoddy product IMHO. Hey ho. You never have to arse around looking for the releveant .Net DK and move dlls around to run a .Net app. Just saying like.

Oh and FOAD.

TIA

Suity
                      It does say in the instructions that you need the JDK. Did you read the instructions?

Before you install SQL Developer, look at the remaining sections of this guide to see if you need to know or do anything else first.
                      Just saying like
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X