• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bought a new toy today"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    For those that have one of these thingamabobs.

What are the mounting brackets and pole like? Easy to fix up?
    The unit I bought comes with a short pole to mount the sensors which is easy enough. Depending on where you want to mount it you'll need to buy your own and suitable mounting kit.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    For those that have one of these thingamabobs.

What are the mounting brackets and pole like? Easy to fix up?

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    I have a big large screen display they tells me the local weather, it's called a window.
    And it's hermetically sealed so that I can calculate the air pressure and windspeed from the way it curves inwards........... Oh hold on, mine are actually doing that tonight......

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I have a big large screen display they tells me the local weather, it's called a window.
    Why not get a clearer view and throw yourself through the window!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Special glass that changes colour with temperature and humidity?

Nice try with the razor-like wit though. You got the part about being insulting, now you just need to work on making it funny.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Mods...I'm a grumpy old git, do your stuff
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Thought I should try to become Godlike for my birthday, but I may have left it a bit late.

<Placeholder>

Insert witty post here!

</Placeholder>

P.S. some thread domination too.
    Mods... do your stuff (and deduct from her post count to discourage others)

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Thought I should try to become Godlike for my birthday, but I may have left it a bit late.

<Placeholder>

Insert witty post here!

</Placeholder>

P.S. some thread domination too.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Wot, a whole load of text is FTP'd as a file which is parsed by some javascript or something?

Which of these pages is the real one (they both look good):
    I have a number of pages I'm messing around with. The basic HTML pages and live gauges pages come with the Cumulus software. The Ajax pages are PHP but need quite a bit of hacking to work correctly and something I'm still tweaking. You can of course roll your own but there's plenty out there to get a quick start.

Cumulus

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    So in theory you could just configure and leave it to update automatically (got property in Spain that I am wanting set something up similar)? Are the Touch screen panel and USB receiver seperate, IE could you have the Touch Screen in the kitchen, the receiver in the server and the monitor on the roof?

Also second question, I assume you would need the USB receiver in server to get "live" data? Is it very data intensive when uploading?
    The model I have (WH1081), comes with a sensor array mounted on a pole and connected to the transmitter unit via cables. The touch sensitive console is also the data logger connected to a Win PC via USB as I mentioned. I let it run constantly connected and FTP'ing the data to my website every 15 seconds, not heavy at all.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Pretty much. The sensor array is in a temporary place until I get the kit delivered to get it mounted on the roof. Wireless to the console unit and a USB connection to the PC although it doesn't have to be connected all the time as it will store a month's worth of weather data.

I use an App called Cumulus which FTP's the data to my website where an assortment of pages display the data in a meaningful form although I'm still tweaking these. The website is hosted elsewhere although I tested locally before going live.
    Wot, a whole load of text is FTP'd as a file which is parsed by some javascript or something?

Which of these pages is the real one (they both look good):

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    So in theory you could just configure and leave it to update automatically (got property in Spain that I am wanting set something up similar)? Are the Touch screen panel and USB receiver seperate, IE could you have the Touch Screen in the kitchen, the receiver in the server and the monitor on the roof?

Also second question, I assume you would need the USB receiver in server to get "live" data? Is it very data intensive when uploading?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    So whats the stepup here, did you just stick the weather station outside and the USB receiver into your server, do you host your website yourself from the same box?
    Pretty much. The sensor array is in a temporary place until I get the kit delivered to get it mounted on the roof. Wireless to the console unit and a USB connection to the PC although it doesn't have to be connected all the time as it will store a month's worth of weather data.

I use an App called Cumulus which FTP's the data to my website where an assortment of pages display the data in a meaningful form although I'm still tweaking these. The website is hosted elsewhere although I tested locally before going live.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    So whats the stepup here, did you just stick the weather station outside and the USB receiver into your server, do you host your website yourself from the same box?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Looking forward to seeing the wind chill factor and clothes drying time formulae.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X