• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cheese

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cheese"

Collapse

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I'm not a big cheese lover, infact I don't think I've ever had any of the soft cheese mentioned. A bit of dairy lea, philidelphia, cheddar, red leicester

Like the question that was asked to Steven Gerrard during a radio interview -
    "What is your favourite cheese?" to which he answered melted.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    If your tastes run to the bland.
    Or you have a subtle palate able to discern delicate flavours.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Edam, Leerdammer and that ilk are nice - where are they from? Holland?
    Um, yeah!

They do have some good local cheeses in cloggers, a lot of the markets have borenkaas (locally made farm cheese, with various flavours of mustard seeds, cumin or peppers) and you can't beat a nice slice of oude kaas or overjarig. Maasdaam is nice (quite similar to Jarlsberg).

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Edam, Leerdammer and that ilk are nice
    If your tastes run to the bland.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Britain, France, Italy and Spain (just for Manchego), are there any other nations who make cheese worth talking about?
    Edam, Leerdammer and that ilk are nice - where are they from? Holland?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Most supermarket stuff is pretty bland but buffalo mozzarella softened on garlic rubbed ciabbata with a basil leaf and balsamic vinegar to dip, yum!
    Yeah, supermarket crap to 'proper' I use in many recipes as a subsitute for any other cheese. Unfortunately as close as I'll get.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Bastards

I hate the taste of cheese and can only eat Mozarella which doesn't taste of anything.

I love food but a closed door forever when it comes to cheese.
    Most supermarket stuff is pretty bland but buffalo mozzarella softened on garlic rubbed ciabbata with a basil leaf and balsamic vinegar to dip, yum!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Bastards

I hate the taste of cheese and can only eat Mozarella which doesn't taste of anything.

I love food but a closed door forever when it comes to cheese.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Spain has more than just Manchego to offer, and the Portuguese make some very good cheeses, oh, and Feta can be very tasty as can halloumi. I'd just settle for saying that Europe may be bankrupt and rubbish but at least no other continent can challenge our cheeses.
    Ah yes feta with a Greek salad and how could I forget halloumi? Dry fried or grilled I share a block along with some dolmades and souvlaki almost every week!

Not knowingly tried any Portuguese cheese?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    "Seriously Strong Cheddar". Although it's not all that seriously strong.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Yes it has poncy names but is French cheese better than British? We make over 700 varieties in Britain which is more than the France IIRC?

Sales of British cheese trump French - Telegraph

The British cheese that left the French feeling blue - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I like Camembert but even that can be a bit . Can't beat a good crumbly mature cheddar or a slither of Stilton on wheat cracker IMO.

Britain, France, Italy and Spain (just for Manchego), are there any other nations who make cheese worth talking about?
    Spain has more than just Manchego to offer, and the Portuguese make some very good cheeses, oh, and Feta can be very tasty as can halloumi. I'd just settle for saying that Europe may be bankrupt and rubbish but at least no other continent can challenge our cheeses.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Yes it has poncy names but is French cheese better than British? We make over 700 varieties in Britain which is more than the France IIRC?

Sales of British cheese trump French - Telegraph

The British cheese that left the French feeling blue - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I like Camembert but even that can be a bit . Can't beat a good crumbly mature cheddar or a slither of Stilton on wheat cracker IMO.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I like the taste of epoisse but it makes me heave; just can't keep it inside. Although this may be to do with it arriving at the end of a meal after a bottle of white, a bottle of red, a small bottle of dessert wine and a glass of port.
    Clearly it's the port which reacts badly with the cheese.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Memories of a good meal at a restaurant, tasting menu, so 9 odd courses.
    Then came the cheese course, waiter wheels over the cheese trolley, invites to try some/all of the cheeses, after 20 odd samples he asked; now which ones would you like to have for your cheese course
    To which the correct answer to that would be "I'm not sure can we just run through them again, please?".

Oops, I seem to have strayed into the 'Gluttony' thread.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Memories of a good meal at a restaurant, tasting menu, so 9 odd courses.
    Then came the cheese course, waiter wheels over the cheese trolley, invites to try some/all of the cheeses, after 20 odd samples he asked; now which ones would you like to have for your cheese course

Leave a comment:

Working...
X