• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A message to Anti-Capitalist Protestors"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    12 hours per day for 301 days out of 365? Isn't there some health & safety law that would prevent that? Oil drilling platforms are dangerous environments. I woud imagine that a worker would need to be alert and have their wits about them at all times whilst working in that kind of environment. Can't see how anyone could achieve that if they were working so many hours. I know guys who work 12 hour shifts in chemical plants, and they typically only do 4 shifts before they then have several days off to recover.
    Yep, it possibly gives an insight into how the Gulf of Mexico and the southern swamps have ended up full of oil pollution.

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    AtW puts his tent up every night in his bed

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    She doesn't say what she does?
    Sponges off her husband and goes on strike when he won't buy her a new pair of shoes? I bet she protests a bit if he leaves the toilet seat up as well.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not exactly sure what her point is. I'm sure the protesters all have bank accounts too, that would have been shorter to point out but would miss the chance for some publicity.
    Her point is stop whining, keep your head down and get on with it.

Of course 'the man' got rich off the backs of automatons like her husband but she is too dumb to realise that.

She doesn't say what she does?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Not exactly sure what her point is. I'm sure the protesters all have bank accounts too, that would have been shorter to point out but would miss the chance for some publicity.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    Are the protestors really anti-capitalist?
    Well, the ones in finsbury circus have a huge banner that says "capitalism isn't working" which is a bit of a clue.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Maginty
    replied
    Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:10.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    If a journalist came round your house and demanded to look in your bedroom while you were asleep, wouldn't you tell them to **** off? I would.
    Well if I was making a public protest and there appeared to be no-one there apart from mannequins I might make an effort to dispel doubts, after all it is a public protest.

Isn't that the point of a public protest, to demonstrate that you are there?

It's pretty clear most of them went home. Difficult to believe that a bunch of benefit scroungers are going to rough it.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Then there is the question as to why journalists were agressively shooed away, and not simply allowed in to look into the tents.
    If a journalist came round your house and demanded to look in your bedroom while you were asleep, wouldn't you tell them to **** off? I would.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Maginty
    replied
    Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:12.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    But these aren't cunning soldiers concealing themselves from the enemy, wrapped up in Aluminium. Wouldn't you expect tents that show a bit of heat rather than either tents lighting up like a Christmas Tree or not at all? Most heat goes through the head, so how they hide this in their sleeping bag without suffocating. Then there is the question as to why journalists were agressively shooed away, and not simply allowed in to look into the tents.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I would expect a good sleeping bag and tent to reflect the heat. Even if you covered yourself with an aluminium emergency blanket it would fool the imaging.
    Which is pretty much what the military guy in the Guardian article I linked to said....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    It is not about lights. Those are thermal images. If there were bodies asleep (or otherwise occupied) in the tents then they would show up in the pictures.
    I would expect a good sleeping bag and tent to reflect the heat. Even if you covered yourself with an aluminium emergency blanket it would fool the imaging.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Well, more people living in tents should reduce demand, so we should see prices fall.

There are small tent suburbs in some japansese cities.
    We're being encouraged to live in tents and ride bicycles whilst the Chinese are building skyscrapers and driving Porsches.. I was counting on the demise of the West and the rise of the East to happen a little slower than this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X