• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fracking hell - earthquakes in Lancashire"

Collapse

• PorkPie
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The energy to make windmills doesn't come out of thin air you know.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    True - which is why we'll end up with a load of windmills instead.
    The energy to make windmills doesn't come out of thin air you know.

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Stuff it, we need that gas out of the ground. Shale gas has totally transformed the energy industry in the USA.
    True - which is why we'll end up with a load of windmills instead.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Stuff it, we need that gas out of the ground. Shale gas has totally transformed the energy industry in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    Man made earthquakes - aren't we doing well?
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    So harmless that it causes minor earth quakes!
    Natural earthquakes have always affected that area of lancashire, as well as other parts of the country. The UK surprisingly has more tornadoes p/sqm than the US, constant tremors and in some areas like anglesey, you can see the rock formations of faults and plates colliding resulting in many different types of rock.

The thing is, since we dont have a large land mass, tornadoes dont have much time to build up in to super twisters. Quakes although very common, are felt less than on fault lines in other places globally.

So far, Ive felt/been awoken by two quakes this year. Only a couple of points on the richter scale, but I tend to sense them more than others I know.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Churchill, I told you to stop stamping your feet when you walk!
    What was that again oh fleet-of-foot and lardy-of-arse?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    So harmless that it causes minor earth quakes! Considering it was a small test drilling site. Can we assume that the effects will increase in magnitude with an increase in the scale of drilling?
    I also understand it affects ground table water in sucgh a way that you can ignite it.

** Not saying that Blackpool being flattened by an earthquake is a bad thing.
    That's just a benefit really, if your gas runs out, you can cook in the sink, bath or bog.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Churchill, I told you to stop stamping your feet when you walk!

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    So well, we need a machine to detect them happening...

I wonder how many of the objectors to fracking realise that (a) it's a harmless, proven technique and (b) it will release around four times as much energy as we've pulled from the North Sea at a tenth of the cost.
    So harmless that it causes minor earth quakes! Considering it was a small test drilling site. Can we assume that the effects will increase in magnitude with an increase in the scale of drilling?
    I also understand it affects ground table water in sucgh a way that you can ignite it.

** Not saying that Blackpool being flattened by an earthquake is a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    So well, we need a machine to detect them happening...

I wonder how many of the objectors to fracking realise that (a) it's a harmless, proven technique and (b) it will release around four times as much energy as we've pulled from the North Sea at a tenth of the cost.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    started a topic Fracking hell - earthquakes in Lancashire

Fracking hell - earthquakes in Lancashire

BBC News - Fracking tests near Blackpool 'likely cause' of tremors

Man made earthquakes - aren't we doing well?

Working...
X