• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The word Bob

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The word Bob"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
    He deleted the thread, but it was along the lines of '100 year Bob runs marathon'.
    Bob is the equivalent to calling me a Jock which in my book is perfectly acceptable.
    KUATB

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Your coded language is noted.
    Ah, what I meant was "The swallows fly south early this year..."

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Oh **** off Big Nose!
    Your coded language is noted.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I find it quite surprising that people don't find the term 'Bob' racist. It is derogatory in its origin (even if that origin is recent) and applied as far as I can see to Indian (or Indian sub-continent) people. How much it all matters in terms of forum banter is another matter and context is important (to get back to NAT's point).
    Oh **** off Big Nose!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    No, he was banned for being an idiot, persistently annoying other members... oh I see.
    I'm not sure how anyone could impersonate a moderator here, so it doesn't really arise. One of the issues I had with the PCG forums was the lack of discussion over moderator decisions. I think we're not quite so much like that here. I'm hapy to discuss my decision ad nauseum. I'm even amenable to being shown to have got it wrong, if that were to ever happen.

pF would be welcome here. I thought he was pretty amusing. Something about swans, IIRC.

While I agree that taking offence on behalf of someone who isn't actually offended themselves is usually caused by self-righteous political correctness, I disagree with your contention that only people of the subgroup can be offended by racism. If I think something is racist, then I find it offensive, even if I am not personally offended, and as a moderator, I have to do something about it.

The offence wasn't, as some people seem to think, the use of the word "Bob"; it was the specific way it was used. The infraction (not infringement) was handed out, due to prior postings from TiroFijo., which indicated to me that there was intent.
    I find it quite surprising that people don't find the term 'Bob' racist. It is derogatory in its origin (even if that origin is recent) and applied as far as I can see to Indian (or Indian sub-continent) people. How much it all matters in terms of forum banter is another matter and context is important (to get back to NAT's point).

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    PF was banned from the PCG forums for impersonating a moderator.
    No, he was banned for being an idiot, persistently annoying other members... oh I see.
    We're not as draconian here, are we?
    I'm not sure how anyone could impersonate a moderator here, so it doesn't really arise. One of the issues I had with the PCG forums was the lack of discussion over moderator decisions. I think we're not quite so much like that here. I'm hapy to discuss my decision ad nauseum. I'm even amenable to being shown to have got it wrong, if that were to ever happen.

pF would be welcome here. I thought he was pretty amusing. Something about swans, IIRC.

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    There's nothing I hate more than faux-offence on behalf of a subgroup that the offended person is not a member of.
    While I agree that taking offence on behalf of someone who isn't actually offended themselves is usually caused by self-righteous political correctness, I disagree with your contention that only people of the subgroup can be offended by racism. If I think something is racist, then I find it offensive, even if I am not personally offended, and as a moderator, I have to do something about it.

The offence wasn't, as some people seem to think, the use of the word "Bob"; it was the specific way it was used. The infraction (not infringement) was handed out, due to prior postings from TiroFijo., which indicated to me that there was intent.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Another Bob

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    What's women pretending to be men got to do with racism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_(Blackadder)

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I thought 'bob' denoted the action of a person at sea who is not proficient in swimming but is wearing a lifejacket?
    I thought it was short for Robert, as in Sir Robert Clive.

Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Now how did this inherent racism first manifest itself to you? As a kid? I'm just off to the Paki shop as they used to say in Scotland. Or popping out for a chinky? Dropping the N word in to conversation????
    A couple of G's, an N and an I, an E and an R....

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    There's nothing I hate more than faux-offence on behalf of a subgroup that the offended person is not a member of.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    In the 'Vagina Monologues', Bob was a man who enjoyed looking at it..

They even sold "I'm a Bob" badges after the show.

Churchill should get an "I'm not a Bob" badge.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Great PF was, is he still on shout99? Oh hang on:

Shout99 : showarticle

He's a funny fecker, but I'm not what our moderators would make of him. Or has he been on here before?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Great PF was, is he still on shout99? Oh hang on:

Shout99 : showarticle

Leave a comment:

Working...
X