• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Officially Benched on Monday for the first time in my life..."

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    But that still implies guilt. You're better just saying you were helping the police with their inquiries!
    Guilt? We're contractors ffs! We're guilty as sin, almost as guilty as yer average Catholic! Without the buggering about of course. Well most of us anyway, the buggering about bit I mean...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I find some clients just don't like the 'prison' thing. I just fill the gaps by saying that working long hours would have broken the terms of my electronic tag or that I was 'on the register' for that period. That sounds much better than jail time.
    But that still implies guilt. You're better just saying you were helping the police with their inquiries!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I find some clients just don't like the 'prison' thing. I just fill the gaps by saying that working long hours would have broken the terms of my electronic tag or that I was 'on the register' for that period. That sounds much better than jail time.
    Yes , they are much more tolerant these days. You do get the occasional 'Dont drop the soap in the showers then, eh? hahaha' at interview, or maybe the Investment banker doing a phone interview will come out with a wisecrack like 'well if you are going to rob us, leave a few million for me eh , hahaha'

but it's usually ok once you get in there. apart from the locks on the fridge and stationery cupboard, obviously

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Good point, I'll use that if I may.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    It'll be grand, he just has to say he's been in prison for the duration. Best way to cover gaps on your CV imo.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It'll be grand, he just has to say he's been in prison for the duration. Best way to cover gaps on your CV imo.
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Solves those SC questions quickly as well.
    Yep, win/win.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Solves those SC questions quickly as well.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I don't know how to put this gently, but you'll probably never work again now with a great big two week gap in your CV.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I don't know how to put this gently, but you'll probably never work again now with a great big two week gap in your CV.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post

Any kind words of consolation....?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    See you in the pub!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Sorry your cat died.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Are you 'avin a larf?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    As the title says, I will be officially benched as of Monday for the first time in a 12 year (on and off) contracting career. Always walked out of one into another.

Mostly due to my stupidity I hasten to add. I had a role secured 4 weeks ago which just needed a "final sign off by HR" at a big financial...that was 4 weeks ago. I only started to look a week ago for other stuff just in case this doesn't come off, which is looking increasingly unlikely even though they say it is still a go-er.

Schoolboy error on my part I think, should've carried on looking until the paperwork was in my hand.

treat it like a holiday, and get looking

Leave a comment:

• Officially Benched on Monday for the first time in my life...

As the title says, I will be officially benched as of Monday for the first time in a 12 year (on and off) contracting career. Always walked out of one into another.

Mostly due to my stupidity I hasten to add. I had a role secured 4 weeks ago which just needed a "final sign off by HR" at a big financial...that was 4 weeks ago. I only started to look a week ago for other stuff just in case this doesn't come off, which is looking increasingly unlikely even though they say it is still a go-er.

Schoolboy error on my part I think, should've carried on looking until the paperwork was in my hand.

Working...
X