• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Rail Network in this Country"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Which is why I now cycle to work.

HTH
    Well that and the note from the Doctor, eh BP?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    primary school children could run it better
    Which is why I now cycle to work.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I recently noticed some weird extra traffic lights on the entry to roundabouts.

WTF? thought I, they don't seem to control the traffic on the roundabout at all.

Turns out they're for the bendybusabortion, so it gets priority.
    Back in the 1970s a local council tried to force motorists onto the buses.

Bus lanes with motorbike coppers waiting to pounce on anyone who tried to use them for a swift exit.

Traffic lights on roundabouts which were timed to hold everyone up. When folks complained about the cost of the lights the council claimed they were recycled. Get knotted the public said, these are brand shiny new.

One bus driver used to deliberately ram cars in the bus lane, and since it was legal to do he got away with it. He was eventually told to desist, for PR reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I use trains when possible because even with delays, it's so much nicer to be able to use the time reading/working. Durham --> London 3 hours, Durham --> Edinburgh 2 hours are both quicker than driving too.
    I started using trains years ago because I could either get some work done or simply enjoy a good book rather than getting frustrated with roadworks.

Big mistake trying to travel by rail on Sundays though, as Sunday was engineering day. All too often they'd cancel the train I wanted to take and dump us at Doncaster station to wait for the train from Aberdeen.

Which was usually packed.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    For the commute I;m doing now the train is cheaper and quicker than driving. Although there have been some long delays in the last couple of weeks, mostly due to chavs nicking cables. It can be beyond the wit of man to make on the of the copper lines live with nice high ampage in it, can it?

Mind you East Coast had a classic yesterday.

"If there is an Engineer on the train could he please make himself known to the Guard."

Followed by:

"We apologise for the delay, this is due to a door not closing properly. We have called for an engineer and Peter is on his way."

Took 5 mins to get it fixed and an hour for the engineer to get there.
    There probably was an engineer on the train but he called his union first who advised him to arrange the overtime payment with his managers before making himself known to the guard.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    For the commute I;m doing now the train is cheaper and quicker than driving. Although there have been some long delays in the last couple of weeks, mostly due to chavs nicking cables. It can be beyond the wit of man to make on the of the copper lines live with nice high ampage in it, can it?

Mind you East Coast had a classic yesterday.

"If there is an Engineer on the train could he please make himself known to the Guard."

Followed by:

"We apologise for the delay, this is due to a door not closing properly. We have called for an engineer and Peter is on his way."

Took 5 mins to get it fixed and an hour for the engineer to get there.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Another classic 37 minute delay this morning.

No idea why.
    I'm suprised usually they're 29 minutes so you can't claim compensation

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    I realised last month how many delays I get as I have a pile of the compensation forms at home and they go in without thoughts whenever the delay is >30 mins, it's part of my routine now and the forms are filled in in autopilot mode. I can't remember the last time I got a monthly ticket renewal without having at least one voucher to put against it.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Yeah it was fine before.
    it was fine in the morning, infact it had been fine since last Friday which was their last major cock up on my route

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Haven't used a train for a long time and no plans to unless there's no other choice.
    I use trains when possible because even with delays, it's so much nicer to be able to use the time reading/working. Durham --> London 3 hours, Durham --> Edinburgh 2 hours are both quicker than driving too.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Network rail ****ed up the network which led to me starting the thread
    Yeah it was fine before.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    The ToCs run the ticket offices though, not NR.
    Network rail ****ed up the network which led to me starting the thread

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Pre-recorded apologies here!

Seriously though, how network rail and the train operators can consistently **** up the trains to the extent they do is just beyond belief.

This morning I almost lost it, every ticket window manned by a trainee and a trainer, massive queues and its rush hour. Simple common sense would be to either train them off peak time or to train one at a time so at least the customers aren't impacted by the that days extra level of incompetence.
    The ToCs run the ticket offices though, not NR.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm saying nothing. But the bus driver apologised at the weekend for being one minute late.
    Pre-recorded apologies here!

Seriously though, how network rail and the train operators can consistently **** up the trains to the extent they do is just beyond belief.

This morning I almost lost it, every ticket window manned by a trainee and a trainer, massive queues and its rush hour. Simple common sense would be to either train them off peak time or to train one at a time so at least the customers aren't impacted by the that days extra level of incompetence.
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 6 October 2011, 21:05.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm saying nothing. But the bus driver apologised at the weekend for being one minute late.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X