• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: England V France

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "England V France"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Did you get a Dutch cap then Mitch?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yes. The Dutch offered me a chance to play at a level I probably wouldn't otherwise achieve, and I'm grateful for that; grateful to the point that I now put in quite a lot of work to support the Dutch mens and ladies sevens teams.

When they play in the Olympics in 2016 I'll be cheering like mad, not because of any 'national pride' but because I know the players and have worked in the system that's developing them.
    Did you get a Dutch cap then Mitch?

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    It's already the case. Why don't Samoa beat New Zealand and why don't Georgia or Morocco (or the Basques for that matter) beat France?
    That is not already the case. Sure, players are poached, but there is still some link (however tenuous) to the nations they play for.

Maybe there should be a legal requirement that the stretch used in sport should also be allowed for migrants to gain passports and citizenship and see how long those stretches last.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The richest countries can also invest in training centres, scholarships and so on to find and nurture their youngsters the best.

Although, I think a player should have SOME link other than living there.
    Like what?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    You can see them compete week in week out at events all over the world. There is extra meaning when it is a true national team event. A nation can get behind their team.

It would be a sad loss if a nation could buy its team from anywhere. The poorer nations would never have a hope of winning and would bleed talent (and probably funding) making it even harder to produce world beaters.
    It's already the case. Why don't Samoa beat New Zealand and why don't Georgia or Morocco (or the Basques for that matter) beat France?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    But that sort of defeats the concept of National sport though doesn't it? & means the richest countries can just import the talent rather than nurture the home grown
    The richest countries can also invest in training centres, scholarships and so on to find and nurture their youngsters the best.

Although, I think a player should have SOME link other than living there.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Your choice. I'll be watching because I want to see the best athletes in the world.
    You can see them compete week in week out at events all over the world. There is extra meaning when it is a true national team event. A nation can get behind their team.

It would be a sad loss if a nation could buy its team from anywhere. The poorer nations would never have a hope of winning and would bleed talent (and probably funding) making it even harder to produce world beaters.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Sorry Mich, but it has to be home grown (even if stretched a bit) for international. I could not support a bought in team the same.
    I can just about accept Tuilaga, but could never support, for instance, Zola Bud. There are a number of imports in our team for the Olympics that is making me feel that I do not want to watch it, nor do I care how well we do.

I will still be supporting the real team GB.
    Your choice. I'll be watching because I want to see the best athletes in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Talent's sometimes 'homegrown', but real top performances will often be imported anyway; coaches are hired from all over the world, promising sportspeople are sent around the world to train and play with the best in their game, equipment is purchased from around the world, athletic training methods are researched all over the world; all this is about importing sporting improvements and of course gives the richer countries or clubs an advantage over the poorer. That's high level sport; the old fairy tale of a great from just down the road practising every day in his back garden and then taking on the world and winning is exactly that in most sports nowadays; a fairy tale.
    Sorry Mich, but it has to be home grown (even if stretched a bit) for international. I could not support a bought in team the same.
    I can just about accept Tuilaga, but could never support, for instance, Zola Bud. There are a number of imports in our team for the Olympics that is making me feel that I do not want to watch it, nor do I care how well we do.

I will still be supporting the real team GB.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Talent's sometimes 'homegrown', but real top performances will often be imported anyway; coaches are hired from all over the world, promising sportspeople are sent around the world to train and play with the best in their game, equipment is purchased from around the world, athletic training methods are researched all over the world; all this is about importing sporting improvements and of course gives the richer countries or clubs an advantage over the poorer. That's high level sport; the old fairy tale of a great from just down the road practising every day in his back garden and then taking on the world and winning is exactly that in most sports nowadays; a fairy tale.
    Nowt wrong with Alf Tupper

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Yes. The Dutch offered me a chance to play at a level I probably wouldn't otherwise achieve, and I'm grateful for that; grateful to the point that I put in quite a lot of work to support the Dutch mens and ladies sevens teams.
    Oh well, rules is rules.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What does it mean to you then Mich? You're not good enough to play for England but the Dutch may have you?
    Yes. The Dutch offered me a chance to play at a level I probably wouldn't otherwise achieve, and I'm grateful for that; grateful to the point that I now put in quite a lot of work to support the Dutch mens and ladies sevens teams.

When they play in the Olympics in 2016 I'll be cheering like mad, not because of any 'national pride' but because I know the players and have worked in the system that's developing them.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Have to go with Troll on that Mich.

A nations pride and all that....
    A nation's pride is all very well, but it doesn't put points on the board. In reality, top level sport is a business just like any other and the sooner people learn to live with that the better; they might then stop blowing all their hard-earned on overpriced season tickets for overblown 'clubs' that are actually companies, and start investing their time and money in their local sportspeople.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    For you, maybe, for me, no.
    What does it mean to you then Mich? You're not good enough to play for England but the Dutch may have you?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Surely the teams would just become the equivalent of Man U, Chelsea, Barcelona etc.
    Whoever has the biggest chequebook wins

Leave a comment:

Working...
X