• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plusnet

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plusnet"

Collapse

• conned tractor
    replied
    Now, in the right thread.....

Ok, plusnet took a while to come out. Getting through to their call centre is a 15 minute wait each time you have to call. But the Engineer came out, replaced all the cable from the connection to the house, down the wall, re-routed it in the house, put a new box on the wall, etc. All no charge, and it works, so credit due where it's due.

He then commented to my wife that two blokes had gone in next door, as in one out, one in, within the period of him being up the ladder and the woman next door had closed the curtains. Did we expect something was going on?

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    I've been with Plusnet for about 8 years now, they were friggin fantastic back then.

They started going downhill when BT bought them, and now the only reason I am still with them is they give me the same deal I have always has (business contract, fixed IP - 4 IP Addresses, able to top up my usage any time for £1 per GB). However if they ever try and change me to a different package I would look elsewhere before agreeing...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    No, my complaint is that Plusnet have no flexibility for people who find they are routinely going over the download limit.

When I was with Plusnet they allowed for truly unlimited downloads between midnight and 8am, so just needed to schedule downloads accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Don't blame the old dears for you not reading T & C's

No, my complaint is that Plusnet have no flexibility for people who find they are routinely going over the download limit. It's either Residential contract, which isn't enough, or Business contract, which involves loads of paperwork and justification. There should be a variety of packages and options, just as there are with mobile contracts or satelite TV subscriptions, for example.

I didn't check that at the time, and that's my fault. It's just an issue that never arose before when we were on cable. I'm still pissed off that Plusnet don't have other options.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Hence why I have two separate connections
    I have another connection over my mobile service which I can use if needed when at home. The problem is that when I am away from home my wife has no internet connection, therefore I can't Skype the kids when at contractor digs. A very important part of my week.

Anyway, wife phoned them yesterday afternoon, to ask why they didn't come and was told they didn't know but will call today when they have found out what happened to the engineer/ technician???

I await their call and i'll update the thread to see how good their service really is. It's been down over a week already.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I've just changed to PlusNet. Seems okay. My only gripe is they told me on the phone I could have a static IP for a one off £5 charge, but it seems I need to upgrade to the more expensive (£12 pm) service to be able to do that.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Another Be customer here, no complaints whatsoever...

I was a Plusnet customer for about 12 months a few years ago. I had no complaints either.

All companies cock-up from time to time. The sign of a good company is how well they handle the cock-up.

Currently with TalkTalk. Fastest speed I've ever had (~18mbps) despite being over 5 miles from the nearest supermarket (the modern test for how close to civilisation you are ). I have no complaints at all, yet.

Overall, unless you're with BT or Virgin Media (or a few geographically challenged companies concentrating on cities), the rest are resellers of BT's infrastructure, fortunately usually at a cheaper rate due to regulations (LLU etc) to reduce BT's monopoly on prices.

Most (if not all) still use BT Openreach to do any installations. So expecting one to be significantly better than the other is , apart from customer service as previously mentioned.

So I always go for best balance of price, speed, and download limit. I couldn't give a toss which company is providing the service as long as it's one that is pretty well known so has some track record to peruse.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    I am now.
    Another Be customer here, no complaints whatsoever...

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Of course, you are aware....

I am now.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    So, looking around for a broadband supplier went back to plusnet as their package for phone and broadband seemed reasonable. However, in the last week and a bit our service has not worked. The telephone works directly in the socket but when you plug in the microfilter nothing works past this - it's like BT have turned off the ADSL. They were meant to send an engineer out, for which my wife has arranged for someone to take the kids to school, etc, so she could be in and they bloody well don't show. It's a nightmare getting through to their call centre.

Overall, I'm not impressed with the service - I could write and complain but that gets nowhere, so I'll just vent my dissapointment in them on here.
    Of course, you are aware....

Plusnet was floated on the Alternative Investment Market in July 2004, making them a Public limited company (Plusnet Plc). It has been owned since 30 January 2007 by BT Group
    As mentioned above, I would recommend Bethere. Their level of service is second to none.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Plusnet are owned by BT. Nuff said?
    I'm half expecting them to try it on with the call out charge - £60 if the fault is found to be my, er, fault.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Plusnet are owned by BT. Nuff said?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    O2 come fairly high on customer satisfaction AND cost in surveys I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Plusnet put the debt collectors on me for 15 quid.

They wanted a cancellation fee on a 'pay as you go' service I was ending, I told them to f off and cancelled the DD, when the debt collectors phoned I told them to F off as well, never heard anything more from them funnily enough.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    When we moved house a few months ago we went with Plusnet as there's no cable at the new place and the previous owners recommended Plusnet's ADSL service. Trouble is, they were a retired couple who obviously didn't use the internet much. Having three kids, all on the web, x-box, playstation and four different phones in the house being used for YouTube and iPlayer and the rest, we keep going over our 'allowance' and have to pay outrageous prices for extra bandwidth. Having been several years with Virgin on cable we never had an issue with this at all. Plusnet don't seem to have an upgrade package either, except for a Business tariff, which you have to jump through hoops to apply for. Big disappointment, and wish I hadn't gone with them. I need to shop around and switch provider. PITA.
    Don't blame the old dears for you not reading T & C's

Leave a comment:

Working...
X