• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good questions for 1st parental school meeting"

Collapse

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Oh, I see. You're the yank.

In the UK, we tend to talk about "Year 1" or "1st Year". Grades refers to either marks gained in tests, exams, school report (you probably know these as "report cards"), or music examination levels.
    not really a Yank

but I agree that this thing of multiple names for the same thing is a pain in the behind.

So, she is 6 years old, whatever "year", "grade","level" or title there is associated with that is what they were talking about yesterday.
    It is a school with the "international baccalaureate" program. Should prepare her well for later life.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    How would I know what kind of school it is - I just pay the humoungous school fees. Her class is named "1D" , so I deducted she is in grade 1. What the £$%^ do I know about schooling these days. I recently learnt that the are more tags than baby, girl and woman for a female. Evidently there is also toddler, preschooler and others that I have already forgotten.

But my daughter is a bright one - she recently told her mother (my wife ) that I was the most important member of the family as I was the one making the money so they could buy stuff. She is clearly cut out for contracting.
    Oh, I see. You're the yank.

In the UK, we tend to talk about "Year 1" or "1st Year". Grades refers to either marks gained in tests, exams, school report (you probably know these as "report cards"), or music examination levels.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post

You are David Thorne, and I claim my seven legged spider.

It's a fair cop. And by the way that is use of copyrighted material and you owe me AU$223

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    How would I know what kind of school it is - I just pay the humoungous school fees. Her class is named "1D" , so I deducted she is in grade 1. What the £$%^ do I know about schooling these days. I recently learnt that the are more tags than baby, girl and woman for a female. Evidently there is also toddler, preschooler and others that I have already forgotten.

But my daughter is a bright one - she recently told her mother (my wife ) that I was the most important member of the family as I was the one making the money so they could buy stuff. She is clearly cut out for contracting.
    Yeah, kids do tend to learn by example and repeat phrases they constantly hear around the house.

Keep bringing home that bacon kid!

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Grade 1? What is this? Some kind of yank school?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Hi all

This evening I am going to attend the first parental school meeting for my daughters class, she is in grade 1.

I believe the meeting is mostly a general orientation.

I fear it could be very boring so I am sure everyone would enjoy it if I have many questions to get a dialog going.

Here is where I need your help.

What would be good questions?
    What question would make a teacher squirm?

Good can both mean good and "good".
    "What is the school's policy on [preventing] homosexuality"

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    "Don't be worried about hitting him. I know from experience he can take a punch"

You are David Thorne, and I claim my seven legged spider.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    This evening I am going to attend the first parental school meeting for my daughters class, she is in grade 1.
    Grade 1? What is this? Some kind of yank school?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    "Don't be worried about hitting him. I know from experience he can take a punch"

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Which way is the bar?
    Ah!!!! A solicitor. Very good.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Good questions for 1st parental school meeting

Which way is the bar?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    My daughter had asked why you had been closely inspecting Mr Jeffreys winky in the stationary cupboard?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Tell them you already have the whole "Birds and the Bees" thing covered off, and not to get too alarmed if little TS03 starts waffling on about the "One-eyed vomiting Cobra!"

Should smooth the rails nicely.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    You should 'break the ice' with a joke. Something along the lines of . . .

So I took my 10 year old daughter to the Doctors the other day to ask for a prescription for contraceptive pills for her. "Good God!" said the Doctor, clearly shocked, "You don't mean to say your daughter is sexually active at 10 years old?" "I wouldn't say 'active'", I said, "she mostly just lies there like her Mother".

That ought to do it.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    You could ask them who you should send the invoice for your time to, and whether you should send the one for your daughter's time separately?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X