• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bob cannot understand Jean Claude"

Collapse

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    International calls are always difficult! I find the chinese the most difficult to understand!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I can that as well. I definitely don't let on about it though.
    That can be a useful tactic.

Not admitting that you understand Swiss German allows you to tune out during boring meetings and you have the perfect excuse to ask them to repeat the question or do a quick summary when someone addresses you directly.
    Last edited by Sysman; 11 September 2011, 15:36.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    ... It's three languages actually since I can understand Swiss German quite well.
    I can that as well. I definitely don't let on about it though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Fantastic! I asked two developers on a project to talk to each other over the best way to do some design work. Our Belgian colleague has a strong accent and is the expert on what he does. Our offshore 'cheap' resource is supposed to be asking him questions and doing the leg work. But,

"Hi MF , I'm striving conversing with Jean Claude, my ear is not adept with his accent I think.

Can you please set the meeting among the three of us to help pls?

Kind regards,

Bob"

Communication issues. What communication issues?
    Just tell them to communicate using email/IM. That's how I communicate with my foreign subs and they often have near-perfect written English.

What's with the font?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Why didn't anyone tell me there was a communication problem

I attended a training course once where the trainer was French and some of the delegates were Ukrainian. They just couldn't understand each other - so I ended up translating English to English. Got a few beers out of it though, as they all appreciated the humour.
    I used to translate from the broad Yorkshire spoken by an MD to normal English for a French customer. It was a good laugh and I got some top notch meals out of it.

Currently, I'm working with French and Germans, and frequently need to translate their English to each other. I do speak both languages myself, but I've not let on.
    I've had that fun, but nowadays I do let on. It's three languages actually since I can understand Swiss German quite well.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Why didn't anyone tell me there was a communication problem

I attended a training course once where the trainer was French and some of the delegates were Ukrainian. They just couldn't understand each other - so I ended up translating English to English. Got a few beers out of it though, as they all appreciated the humour.

Currently, I'm working with French and Germans, and frequently need to translate their English to each other. I do speak both languages myself, but I've not let on.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I'm going to add the Saffer devloper into the call as well. Just for a laugh.
    Not quite the confusion you are seeking. The Saffer will probably be able to understand Bob.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I'm going to add the Saffer devloper into the call as well. Just for a laugh.

Geez the ******' conf call number, ya bam, and ah'll dae aw the translation pish fur yeez.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Plus a Heidi
    Mmmmmm, Heidi's

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    More like the EU here. No Bobs, but some Luigis, Pedros and Pierres. Plus a Heidi (I'm not sure if she's Dutch, German or Swiss).

But it's the brummie PM we all struggle with the most.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Can't you sit between them and when you speak to either just repeat exactly what was said, mimicking accent and mannerisms exactly. That or just translate as I have no idea what he just said to each.
    that would be hilarious, proper borderline offensive but would love to witness that!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Can't you sit between them and when you speak to either just repeat exactly what was said, mimicking accent and mannerisms exactly. That or just translate as I have no idea what he just said to each.
    NO!!!! STOP!!!! ACHTUNG!!!! Do not try to wobble your head side to side like an Indian. Assuming you are of European or African descent, your neck is not made for the sideways wobble and you will injure yourself!

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Make sure you use a lot of slang in the meeting.

Jean will understand you especially if he has watched any British comedies but Bob won't.
    not sure that is helpful, I use slang purposely with landed resource so they learn the subtleties of the language

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    think Ryanair.
    No thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X