• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Penalty Through Post For Driving In Middle Of Road"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Porto is far more civilised than Lisbon. Will be retiring there.
    Thereby making it thoroughly uncivilised.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I like both. Portuguese food is not really very refined, but get some fresh fish in the villages north of Lisbon and it's good. Just avoid Cascais; used to be very nice, now full of Brits and Russians on golf-chav holidays.
    Porto is far more civilised than Lisbon. Will be retiring there.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I've been to both. Madrid's Ok. Lisbon can be a right tulipehole. And the food there is terrible.

HTH
    I like both. Portuguese food is not really very refined, but get some fresh fish in the villages north of Lisbon and it's good. Just avoid Cascais; used to be very nice, now full of Brits and Russians on golf-chav holidays.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yes that's right, it points south west towards Madrid and Lisbon. Bloody good advice too.
    I've been to both. Madrid's Ok. Lisbon can be a right tulipehole. And the food there is terrible.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Thre are clearly a lot of stupid people on this forum

1. First of all there's an arrow telling you where you should go.
    Yes that's right, it points south west towards Madrid and Lisbon. Bloody good advice too.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    There are clearly a lot of stupid people on this forum

1. First of all there's an arrow telling you where you should go.
    2. Then there's a large polygon with stripy lines telling you were you shouldn't go.
    3. And finally there's a camera sign

Fines from that camera are a deserving tax on the stupid.
    Last edited by sasguru; 8 September 2011, 13:34. Reason: sp

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is extremely counterinuitive and I can see how it could mislead. Having seen it I am forewarned for the unlikely event in which I have to drive in the tuliphole that is our Crapital City.
    WHS, but I'd just go somewhere better.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is extremely counterinuitive and I can see how it could mislead. Having seen it I am forewarned for the unlikely event in which I have to drive in the tuliphole that is our Crapital City.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cr1spy View Post
    It's obviously setup as a cash cow for the local authority. Why else install an expensive monitoring camera on such a minor road.

However, the layout is (excessively) sign posted, so you don't have a chance in hell of winning a complaint. Another case of driver beware.

Satnav led me up a bus / taxi only road the other day. Waiting on a brown envelope...
    Is this Britain's most lucrative camera?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I sympathise. It's unintuitive and from looking at the picture I'd probably have done exactly what you did.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You need a HumanBrain. Try and get one from the 70s, they have better firmware.

My brain works ok, it's the only thing stopping me following my twatnav through no entry signs or along the railway tracks.

The problem I'm complaining about is that unless there are regular updates the twatnav is useless as it doesn't cope well with one way systems or pedestrianised zones.

So I'm usually forced to drive like a rat in a maze around unfamiliar centres looking for an alternative way, hoping that the twatnav will cotton onto one for me.

Leave a comment:

• rpgpgmr1
    replied
    There are quite a few of these in London and yes I think they are deliberately confusing (revenue raising) . The scary bit is as you get close to the black bollard things you can see copious shades of paint on them . If you do not line up EXACTLY between the things you are very likely to scrape part of your car and add to the paintwork.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    I think be has a point. I'd have been confused by the bicycle indicating it was a cycle lane - cars aren't supposed to use cycle lanes are they?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    Is it not dumb, to blindly follow where satnav takes you, and not see the road signs around.
    There's a difference between "blindly following" and "trying to concentrate on the map, the other traffic, pedestrians and ensuring you don't miss a road sign in an unfamiliar surrounding.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Are there many of that sort of crud in that there London?
    Where I've live/lived and drive they tend to put a large bush with flowers in the middle or some raised structure as ambulances can manage to fit through the sides - I've seen it though most of them avoid those roads.

Fire engines can't so they tend to avoid those roads. Alternatively they will put a locked gate in the middle if it's the only access and fire engines need to use them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X