• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving to North permanently....Any IT Job out there..??"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Problem is, south of Derby there's feck all of consequence 'outdoors' to actually enjoy in England.
    Bollocks!!! There's Dartmoor and Exmoor for starters.............you cheeky bleeding ferret-fancier!!!

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Too right. Number of times it says "27 deg today!" only to find it 17 deg C here, 27 deg c in that there London, and if you go to the coast here, fooking 13 deg C with a wind chill of 10 deg C, making it feel like +3!

Fook that, I love warm weather and like to have an outdoor lifestyle that doesn't require wearing arctic clothing in August.
    Problem is, south of Derby there's feck all of consequence 'outdoors' to actually enjoy in England.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    You've walked straight into this.

Southern Softie!!!
    Too right. Number of times it says "27 deg today!" only to find it 17 deg C here, 27 deg c in that there London, and if you go to the coast here, fooking 13 deg C with a wind chill of 10 deg C, making it feel like +3!

Fook that, I love warm weather and like to have an outdoor lifestyle that doesn't require wearing arctic clothing in August.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    And another thing.

Before you move oop north, do not, for one second underestimate how utterly utterly tulipE the weather/climate is.

If (like me) you are a southerner born and bred, the incredible range or weather which combines on any given day:

1. Torrential rain
    2. Howling gale force winds
    3. Bloody cold temperatures
    4. Five foot deep snow from October to March

Was the clincher for me. I ain't living up here any longer! tulipe is not the word!

You've walked straight into this.

Southern Softie!!!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    And another thing.

Before you move oop north, do not, for one second underestimate how utterly utterly tulipE the weather/climate is.

If (like me) you are a southerner born and bred, the incredible range or weather which combines on any given day:

1. Torrential rain

Was the clincher for me. I ain't living up here any longer! tulipe is not the word!

When you get milk delivered in polythene bags and the Sunday papers arrive on Monday then you can start complaining.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Despite our attempts at inventing the moving screen industry, the phone industry, banking industry and the power supply industry Scotland seems to have fecked up royally on making money from the computer industry.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    And another thing.

1. Torrential rain

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I'm from the north west, my rates are between 50 and 100% higher in Surrey/London than in Manchester.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield, Preston, York. Ther are jobs, but nothing like as many down south and they dont pay as well. On the other hand there are fewer people competing for them and cost of living is lower up here.

Currently going into a 6 month extension of the current gig Oop North.
    Not doubting rates in general are maybe better dahn sarff, but, for example, what would a test manager or infrastructure PM get in the south ? I seriously doubt it's that much more than the frozen north.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Come on up son. Theres loads of jobs up here.

We are getting the electric put in soon, then it will be boom time

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I'm in the Toon for my next gig, rate is cock-on, and long term.
    You've been going down the Bigg Market far too much.

qh

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I'm in the Toon for my next gig, rate is cock-on, and long term.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yep, I'm mingling with WAGS.
    New word for me

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    From the look of those places, you're living near most of Newcastle FC?
    Yep, I'm mingling with WAGS.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Of course there are jobs, these things are relative. The NE in general is pretty dire for example but Newcastle is a hub of sorts. On the other hand, it's a very cheap area to buy property.
    It wasn't even worth looting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X