• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best way to sell a car"

Collapse

• Grinder
    replied
    I'm not certain they would scrap a runner with MOT, but it is a possibility.

I did sell a car from my driveway about 3 years ago - I put the £300 price tag on the window and got an offer of £225 and reluctantly accepted. It had about £80 worth of road tax on it so they got a bargain.

If you do put it up for sale, I think at that sort of money the expectation is "sold as seen" but no harm in stating that just in case. Just say as little as possible, so you're not imlpying anything about condition (good or bad). Suggest they give it a good look over because you don't know much about cars. Obviously tell them you had to top up the oil.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    How about driving it to a scrapper - I bet they will offer you £250 for a runner with MOT. Just check the small ads in your local paper.

I'd vote ebay though. Just be really honest and thorough in the description.
    It may sound silly - but I love the car and could not bear to see it scrapped. I know its stupid as its like trying to keep alive a much loved pet who is elderly and suffering - but I've had the car 8 years now. My son nearly cried when I told him the issues were becoming too much. Being autistic he has no empathy with people - but alot with inanimate objects!

I think I need to lie down for a cry now.

BP
    PS prices on ebay are too low - I reckon I would get more via auction or scrappage.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    How about driving it to a scrapper - I bet they will offer you £250 for a runner with MOT. Just check the small ads in your local paper.

Not a bad option depending on the actual value of the car. Scrap prices are around £150-160 per ton atm. Your Pug will weigh in at around 1.3 ton. You could get up to £200 quid for scrap if you look around.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    another satisfied customer

Brillo,

have you really got 50k posts ?

do you post 24/7 or something ?

Milan.
    I have more than 50k - but when I got unbanned and my post count was reset something went a bit wrong.

30 posts per day for 5 years does it easily. You can do that in 15 minutes in tpd. Though some days I must have done a few hundered drivel posts......

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Pistonheads classifieds. It's free.
    Only if you have been a member for 2 yrs now - they changed it about a month ago.
    Last edited by Clippy; 7 September 2011, 13:12.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Pistonheads classifieds. It's free.
    But you'll get a bunch of tyre kickers who don't want to pay anything near what you're asking.

Use Autotrader, your average mug punter won't have thought to go anywhere else so they are more likely to pay top whack.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Worthwhile rejoing CUK just for those comments.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    another satisfied customer

Brillo,

have you really got 50k posts ?

do you post 24/7 or something ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Many thanks for the posts. I have done a bit of research and found it is worth nothing like £1000 now - I am years out of date. also the engineering comments above are probably correct. ebay now showing several similar models going for peanuts - and a friend just got messed about selling a car from ebay.

I agree with the "we buy any car" comments - I want to avoid them as much as possible.

I am not going to torch the car - I don't trust insurance companies either. Why take the risk over a few hundred quid? And I generally prefer to be honest - its a weakness of mine.

Trade in not an option as Mrs-BP's aunt is selling her car as her knee is gone. Its just what we need and she is a really careful driver - old car but low mileage. price is very low.

I love the online adds - cheers. But I reckon auction is the way to go. Even if I get any less than WBAC then at least someone will get a bargain who does not put annoying adverts on Dave with cars making noises. grrrrrr.

Cheers again to all those who contributed. Worthwhile rejoing CUK just for those comments.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Exactly. Just set fire to it
    Or just go for this option:

Crash For Cash Fraud Explained

Then you can claim the whiplash as well.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Save yourself the bother and the meathead knocking your door down in a months time demanding a full refund coz it just died, torch it and claim the insurance.
    Exactly. Just set fire to it

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I am selling a car soon - its about 11 years old and worth about £1000(Peugot 406 estate - 135k miles but recon engine at 80k, minor oil leak but generally in good condition for age). I am thinking of putting it on ebay. Any other suggestions?
    Peugeot

Recon engine at 80k is a bad sign. You should get 200k to 300k out of a Peugeot engine. For a car at that age the price depends on the length of the MOT. £800 to £900 if it has a full twelve months. £500 for a short MOT.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I am selling a car soon - its about 11 years old and worth about £1000(Peugot 406 estate - 135k miles but recon engine at 80k, minor oil leak but generally in good condition for age). I am thinking of putting it on ebay. Any other suggestions?
    Gum Tree

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    We buy any car dot com.

They'll give you £50 for it.
    Minus their £49.95 'admin fee'. Don't mention that in their tulipty song do they?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X