• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does this mean she bought...."

Collapse

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Is this true?
    Yes it is.

If you ever do fall for an email scam, the last thing you want is police involvement.

Recent case in the US, Appellee and v. Tamara Lynn Heid, "A federal grand jury returned a superseding indictment charging six defendants with conspiracy to launder money, a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1956(h)"

There was a case a while back involving someone in UK government IIRC, who only became aware of money laundering after a while in the department but failed to follow "Suspicious Activity Reporting" which was seen as concealment of the crime.

Laws vary, dependant on the country, but most countries, including ours, dont need evidence of you committing a crime but just the intent to commit the crime, across many different areas of law.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Is this true?
    Sounds like he's barking up the wrong tree to me.

----- Posted from my iPlank -----

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Is this true?
    You worried?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    She is still guilty of attempting to buy stolen goods and she did handle a working ipad before they gave her a "boxed" one. As I said before, the charge of handling stolen goods has a wide scope and is relevant here.

You can still be charged for it by the police, just as you can be charged for money laundering, even if you dont actually get any cash paid in to your account by a nigerian scammer, just the intent is enough for a formal charge to be made.

PS: Yes I did read the article before I even first posted.
    Is this true?

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Erm, you *did* read the article didn't you?

What she got when she opened the box was a lump of wood with an Apple logo painted on it, not an iPad....
    She is still guilty of attempting to buy stolen goods and she did handle a working ipad before they gave her a "boxed" one. As I said before, the charge of handling stolen goods has a wide scope and is relevant here.

You can still be charged for it by the police, just as you can be charged for money laundering, even if you dont actually get any cash paid in to your account by a nigerian scammer, just the intent is enough for a formal charge to be made.

PS: Yes I did read the article before I even first posted.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    At that price of course it's stolen.

What if I knock on your door, offer you a plasma 32" TV for £30 brand new. I cant possibly get them that cheap from the supplier, of course it's stolen.

It is surprisingly easy to get arrested for it as well. Victims trying to claim "they never knew it was stolen" often doesnt wash with the police, CPS or courts.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

What if I knock on your door, offer you a plasma 32" TV for £30 brand new. I cant possibly get them that cheap from the supplier, of course it's stolen.

It is surprisingly easy to get arrested for it as well. Victims trying to claim "they never knew it was stolen" often doesnt wash with the police, CPS or courts.
    Erm, you *did* read the article didn't you?

What she got when she opened the box was a lump of wood with an Apple logo painted on it, not an iPad....

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    But it wasn't stolen so there is no way she could be charged with handling stolen property.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    of course it was stolen. it doesn't just grow on trees you know

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    But it wasn't stolen so there is no way she could be charged with handling stolen property.
    of course it was stolen. it doesn't just grow on trees you know

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    This woman is even more stupid, publicising her stupidity as legally, she could be in a lot more trouble. It is common sense such a product at such a price, if it were supplied, is undoubtedly stolen and handling stolen goods is a serious felony.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    It has an Apple on it and some provenance so she might get her money back on eBay.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I know loads of people who would happily plop a couple of hundred quid on a piece of wood, if it had the Apple logo on it and was shiny enough.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    My Mrs told me she bought a new iPencil in town the other day - anyone heard of it? Not sure what it does...

IGMC
    Yeah, all the rage at the moment. I traded on the iPencil today and was making a fortune until I shorted the iEraser. It wiped out all of my iProfits.

Dimprawn

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    My Mrs told me she bought a new iPencil in town the other day - anyone heard of it? Not sure what it does...

IGMC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X