• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: SAT-NAVs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SAT-NAVs"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I still check the route and note some directions down before I leave though, just as a sanity check as on some long journeys they will pick some less good routes cos they don't seem to know about roadworks and things.
    Tom-Tom Live's do.

And they work. Though the diversions can be interesting i.e. through random little villages.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I find the Google navigation function on my Galaxy S works really well. The only downside as far as I can see is the data it is continuously sucking down from my monthly 512mb data allowance. I have seen really bad reviews of the Co Pilot software for Android. It puts me off buying it to try it because the reviews say that you get zero support for problems including being unable to get your money back if it doesn't work for you. The Co Pilot software doesn't continuously download map data on the fly but that's no use if it doesn't work in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Google Maps sucks. It doesn't lock your position to a road or understand junctions... a dot on a map and a GPS with a route planner are totally different if the road has 8 lanes and you need to be in the correct one.

Leave a comment:

• MonzaMike
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    WTS I was about to buy one but found google maps on HTC was perfectly adequate for my needs.
    I find google maps on my phone is too slow.

Tells you what to do when you are already on or past the junction.

May be just that my phone is 18 months old.

Do you find the instructions are given sufficiently in advance.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I bought the missus a Garmin one, she seems to like it. I find it quite annoying, but I think you can turn the talking off. I don't use it myself as generally if I'm going somewhere it's somewhere I know how to get to.

I do quite like the ones in modern cars that are integrated into the instrument cluster e.g. the merc and audi ones have an arrow and a distance meter between the tacho and the speedo and you can switch the talking off and then it's quite useful if you are going somewhere you haven't been before. I still check the route and note some directions down before I leave though, just as a sanity check as on some long journeys they will pick some less good routes cos they don't seem to know about roadworks and things.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    admitted to only driving in the middle lane of the motorway at 70 mph
    Not even remotely close to what I "admitted", but no change there.
    However, as you have raised the subject again, assuming you have no qualms about breaking clearly-defined UK motorway speed limits, are you also saying that whilst doing so you also need more than one lane to feel comfortable executing an overtaking maneouvre? That is what your stance would seem to suggest. Maybe you should just let your wife drive you about........or maybe your granny? I expect they can overtake without needing the freedom of the entire motorway to do so!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Says the man who couldn't find both his arse cheeks in the dark!

I don't think the gurning cretin who admitted to only driving in the middle lane of the motorway at 70 mph should really comment in a thread about driving

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Bad experience recently with a MiO sat nav. Just could not find its way from mid cheshire to Hope University in Liverpool without using a motorway and it is only about three roads in total. Avoid IMO.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    But if I had to, I'd use a map.
    Says the man who couldn't find both his arse cheeks in the dark!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    (a) You obviously have not seen how the locals drive.
    I have. That's exactly why I wouldn't risk it

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    FFS I'd get a driver to drive me. What the fook are you driving in Istanbul for?

But if I had to, I'd use a map. And speak English very loudly and slowly to the natives. Until I got to where I wanted to go.
    (a) You obviously have not seen how the locals drive.
    (b) The Taxi drivers even get lost; I had to sit next to them reading the map telling them which way to go!
    (c) There are numerous roads with the same name dotted around the city so if you stop and ask you will get five different directions.

Last edited by Paddy; 25 August 2011, 16:12.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    So obviously you would be able to drive from Şebnem Sokak to Çetinkaya Sokak in Istanbul without getting lost or driving down a prohibited road.
    FFS I'd get a driver to drive me. What the fook are you driving in Istanbul for?

But if I had to, I'd use a map. And speak English very loudly and slowly to the natives. Until I got to where I wanted to go.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    google: Satnav reviews

Surely that doesn't require a big brain does it?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    There's an app for that.

Got TomTom installed on my iPhone. Whole map of Europe. Walking routes are very handy when holidaying in a strange town.
    TomTom is expensive. We bought CoPilot Live for our trip in the USA and it came with accurate maps of the entire country, for about £10.

CoPilot also does not need to use your mobile data connection - it uses the GPS chip in the phone - which means you can use it abroad if you're careful to turn data off to be safe.

Highly recommended, we used it on iPhone but I think they do Android.

Also: iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Sat Navs make you stupid and shrink your brain.
    Just look at London cabbies - after the Knowledge their brains increase in size.
    All you sat nav users will become gormless cretins in about 5 years - if you are not already.
    So obviously you would be able to drive from Şebnem Sokak to Çetinkaya Sokak in Istanbul without getting lost or driving down a prohibited road.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X