• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This blackberry messaging system?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    You can change it in System Preferences-> Language and Text -> Edit List -> British English.

Then move it to the top of the list.
    Thanks. I can't think how I missed that one.

Dictionary Application -> Preferences -> OED Dictionary & Thesaurus.
    Stuck on Leopard on this system, so that's not there. I'll look at Snow Leopard when I get back to the office.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    The Spill Chucker Pome

Mandatory Mac user's comment:

We've had spell checking available for all apps for years. It shouldn't be an application specific feature

though unfortunately it's for Yank English
    You can change it in System Preferences-> Language and Text -> Edit List -> British English.

Then move it to the top of the list.

Dictionary Application -> Preferences -> OED Dictionary & Thesaurus.
    Last edited by DaveB; 11 August 2011, 18:08.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I'm loving Google Chrome's instant spell-checker.

Works better now it's set to English (England) and not English (Yank).

So, there's no longer any excuse for such despicable spelling. Poor old will be redundant soon.
    The Spill Chucker Pome

Mandatory Mac user's comment:

We've had spell checking available for all apps for years. It shouldn't be an application specific feature

though unfortunately it's for Yank English

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    On second thoughts, this 'anonymous' group can't be all bad:

Anonymous: We'll kill Facebook on bonfire night - Yahoo!

Might only trash facebook for a few hours but it'll be a few hours my cousins can't post photos of me pissed out of my skull at a recent birthday bash.

I know, my fault for being drunk but where are my human rights.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Is BBM also known as PIN to PIN communication on a Blackberry or is it a different thing altogether?
    No idea what Pin to Pin communication is. Blackberry Messenger is clearly called "Blackberry Messenger" on a Blackberry

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    That's how I understand it too. It seems to be the main thing that makes Blackberry's popular at the moment, which is why Apple have copied it. Seems a bit odd to me as I can't remember the last time I had to pay for a text message, they're usually included now aren't they?
    Is BBM also known as PIN to PIN communication on a Blackberry or is it a different thing altogether?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

So, there's no longer any excuse for such despicable spelling. Poor old will be redundant soon.
    There will always be a place for poor old Fleety!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Sadly I'm stuck with Client Co.'s dodgy IE6 install

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    On the bright side, you only misspelled it the first time

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    EDIT: The word anonymous appears far too many times in this post.
    On the bright side, you only misspelled it the first time

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Seems dodgy that this 'anonymous' group are trying to restrict access to RM's logs.

If they really are worried about blanket prosecution without checking the evidence of the actual message content, instead focusing on the location the message was sent from (determined much the same way they determine mobile call locations), I expect journos and TV crew possessing blackberries who were in the vicinity would soon complain through their media channels if they were included in such an indiscriminate catch.

Could it be this 'anonymous' group are worried as they too use blackberries for field comms so don't want their secrets uncovered?
    Techncally they arn't part of Annonymous.

They call themselves TeamPoison (except with the usual dodgy 133t spelling) and until recently were in open disagrement with Anonymous in terms of what they think Anonymous as a whole should be doing. They only recently agreed a "ceasefire" and are now nominally under the Anonymous umbrella.

The RIM defacement, and thats pretty much all it amounted to, was a TeamPoison effort and not directly connected to Anonymous, athough at least some of Anonymous problably new it was going to happen.

EDIT: The word anonymous appears far too many times in this post.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    If you have ever used BBM you would know that texting is now becoming obsolete. The features you get with BBM make texting look like it was from the stone ages. If you have ever used whatsap then you will have some idea of what BBM is although BBM is many levels ahead of whatsap. Add to that what the previous posted said regarding international messages and you realise how powerful a communication tool it is.
    WHS, plus the fact that there is no guarantee that an SMS will get to its recipient. The chances are that it will but there's no guarantee.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    That's how I understand it too. It seems to be the main thing that makes Blackberry's popular at the moment, which is why Apple have copied it. Seems a bit odd to me as I can't remember the last time I had to pay for a text message, they're usually included now aren't they?
    If you have ever used BBM you would know that texting is now becoming obsolete. The features you get with BBM make texting look like it was from the stone ages. If you have ever used whatsap then you will have some idea of what BBM is although BBM is many levels ahead of whatsap. Add to that what the previous posted said regarding international messages and you realise how powerful a communication tool it is.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Seems a bit odd to me as I can't remember the last time I had to pay for a text message, they're usually included now aren't they?
    In the UK, yes, but the mobile operators' business model is different in other countries - for example, in the US you pay to receive calls (or at least you used to). AFAIK text messages can be quite pricey in the US.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X