• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to negotiate a rate rise considering my situation?"

Collapse

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    You are asking for a rate rise so you might want to explain why you are worth it. Complaining that someone else is getting more is petty
    Indeed, don't even mention "I've heard fred is getting £x", that is NOT that way to get a rate increase. Neither is market conditions really.

Phone your agent and beforehand look at what you were originally contracted to do and look at what you've done beyond that during your contract i.e. the scope of the project has changed and i'm now doing x,y and z or i'm now acting as senior dev to 3 new contractors etc.

Basically justify it properly and in the context of the work you are doing, not just "I want more money, stamp, stamp".

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Forget it, in this climate you wil be lucky to be in a contract soon, if you raise your head above the parapit expect a clean cut.

You are what you drink, and you're a 'bitter man'.

The climate isn't that tulip from where I'm sitting.

You need to chill out and have a beer Rus. That's what the bench is for !!

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Forget it, in this climate you wil be lucky to be in a contract soon, if you raise your head above the parapit expect a clean cut.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It's this kind of bollocks that gets contractors a bad name. If you have a contract to go to, then go. Don't play one off against the other like some sort of child.

Straight talking and straight dice all the way. Mess people about and you'll end up with nothing.
    hmmm thats permie talk, be honest with people but follow the money if that's what motivates you

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    You are asking for a rate rise so you might want to explain why you are worth it. Complaining that someone else is getting more is patty and they may be better than you (even with less experience).
    Quoting the market rate is good. Also mention why you think you are worth more than your current rate. Show how you have gone the extra mile and how they are asking you to work above the level they are paying at.
    I agree, maybe the OP is not really as good as Patty, and that is why she is getting more.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
    The agent said they are on a fixed margin; the more I get the more they get. he could have lied, who knows but don't have evidence to be sure they're lying. I think the best way is to talk to the agent.
    He is a fooking agent isn't he? How much more bleeding evidence do you need?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Where the heck you been living for the past few weeks ? Markets across the globe are crashing. If I was you I would try and hold on to the contract, not ask for a pay rise and rock the boat. Reember you are being advised by SuitYou on this thread,who, if I am correct, is on the bench and doing freelance work for 15$ an hour.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
    nice worded. so a more formal and polite approach would work best you think? not threatening them that I may leave otherwise or noting what good things I have done for the client?
    You are asking for a rate rise so you might want to explain why you are worth it. Complaining that someone else is getting more is petty and they may be better than you (even with less experience).
    Quoting the market rate is good. Also mention why you think you are worth more than your current rate. Show how you have gone the extra mile and how they are asking you to work above the level they are paying at.
    Last edited by Arturo Bassick; 5 August 2011, 08:49. Reason: petty piss taking over typo.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Saying "I'm leaving unless you get me more" is a bit immature. To begin with simply say that you believe the rate you are on is below market rate, and below what they are paying less experienced contractors, and you'd like them to renegotiate. The agent will know for sure that the subtext "or I might leave" is present, if they have even half an agent-sized brain.

Leave a comment:

• Dynamic
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Better to say

As my contract is coming up for renewal its come to my attention that I'm being paid less than the market rate of £400 a day. Could you start sorting out the renewal on something around that level.
    nice worded. so a more formal and polite approach would work best you think? not threatening them that I may leave otherwise or noting what good things I have done for the client?

Leave a comment:

• Dynamic
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It depends if your agent is on fixed margin % - if they are then an increase for you is just as good for them.
    The agent said they are on a fixed margin; the more I get the more they get. he could have lied, who knows but don't have evidence to be sure they're lying. I think the best way is to talk to the agent.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Why not just ask your pimp to negotiate the rate rise for you? Tell him/her what you want and see if they can sort something out. That's what they're there for aint it?
    I'm inclined to agree. Tell the agent other contractors doing the same role but less experienced are getting more and ask them to renegotiate. Mention to the agent you are likely to look for something else if an extension at a higher rate can't be achieved.

It depends if your agent is on fixed margin % - if they are then an increase for you is just as good for them.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And don't go around discussing rates or trying to find out what others are on. It will always end in tears.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Bedwetter
    For the first time ever, WSYS.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Bedwetter

Leave a comment: