• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CHF v Euro, jump or wait?"

Collapse

• Jog On
    replied
    I don't think thiings will 'calm down' for a while. Yes the ECB kisked the can down the road with Greece but it's just a band aid that will have to be dealt with down the line.

Also now they're talking about the US defaulting which could (combined with EU defaults) cause a double dip recession.

China are buying Euros and apparently have some agenda to help a double dip along so that commodity prices fall - nice! I don't think things will 'calm down' for a while.... CHF seems like the only genuine safe haven there is apart from JPY.

Funnily enough the spending cuts/defecit reduction we're having here + weak £ (good for exports) + low inflation + the fact that we're not in the Euro could make the £ not a bad place to be...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Closing at 1.16

So for each CHF I'll get about .86 Euro a 17.8% increase on my rate since last year
    indeed

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    As the exports drop off the CHF will go down. Lets face it if it carries on going the Swiss economy is going to collapse and then CHF would crash anyway, but this won't happen. The Swiss bank can buy Euros, do some quantative easing (i.e. print CHFs and buy Euros). One thing they won't do is sit on their hands and watch the CHF go up much further. I doubt the CHF will break parity with the Euro and think it'll bottom out around 1.10.
    Closing at 1.16

So for each CHF I'll get about .86 Euro a 17.8% increase on my rate since last year

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    CHF - better than Gold
    Well it is probably close to it's high. CHF is well over valued. It'll probably rise a bit more against the EUR. But in the greater scheme of things changing to EUR is a good buy at the moment. I reckon when the crisis is over, which it will be, then the CHF will go back down to something like 1.4 from 1.15 at the moment. Switzerland is groaning under it's high currency at the moment. Exports dropping off, companies ready to sack thousands, further appreciation of CHF unsustainable.
    Meanwhile, I'm all the way to the bank. (My income is a mixture of CHF, EUR and GBP, so it usually evens out).

I can't see the CHF rising any higher against the EUR. It's already stupidly high.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    The Swiss National Bank had a go at buying Euros a year or two ago in an attempt to stem the rise of the Franc, and it didn't work. As far as I know those billions of Euros are still held by the SNB.

I've come across a few of those recently made redundant, and it's bleak for the over-50s, as employer pension/social contributions go up, so it's cheaper to employ someone younger.
    As the exports drop off the CHF will go down. Lets face it if it carries on going the Swiss economy is going to collapse and then CHF would crash anyway, but this won't happen. The Swiss bank can buy Euros, do some quantative easing (i.e. print CHFs and buy Euros). One thing they won't do is sit on their hands and watch the CHF go up much further. I doubt the CHF will break parity with the Euro and think it'll bottom out around 1.10.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Yes buy euros. Buy buy buy, don't know why just buy.

£ printing presses are warming up and € is artificially depressed by the spivs, who will eventually loose the will once UK and US capitalist models fall down around them.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Well it is probably close to it's high. CHF is well over valued. It'll probably rise a bit more against the EUR. But in the greater scheme of things changing to EUR is a good buy at the moment. I reckon when the crisis is over, which it will be, then the CHF will go back down to something like 1.4 from 1.15 at the moment. Switzerland is groaning under it's high currency at the moment. Exports dropping off, companies ready to sack thousands, further appreciation of CHF unsustainable.
    The Swiss National Bank had a go at buying Euros a year or two ago in an attempt to stem the rise of the Franc, and it didn't work. As far as I know those billions of Euros are still held by the SNB.

I've come across a few of those recently made redundant, and it's bleak for the over-50s, as employer pension/social contributions go up, so it's cheaper to employ someone younger.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Just what I was thinking, I think I will move some now.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    As Sas previously stated AU and CHF are a product of the current weather

everybody has rushed to them for their safe haven status

as BB says, once things calm down the herd (you know people like Sas) will
    be out of CHF etc

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Damn, I've got 2 big invoices going into Switzerland in CHF this weekend, hopefully there will be a slide when they do the transfer

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    The last thing I would do is bet my money on the sage words of CUK posters.
    you never know

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Oh Dear! Another one with DimPrawnWalterMittyitis.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    But I want to buy a terraced house back in Dublin

4 Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin 2, Dublin MyHome.ie Residential
    Oh Dear! Another one with DimPrawnWalterMittyitis.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    CHF - better than Gold
    But I want to buy a terraced house back in Dublin

4 Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin 2, Dublin MyHome.ie Residential

or

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/bro...-dublin/203612

Leave a comment:

Working...
X