• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving a contract short."

Collapse

• CoolerKing
    replied
    Dont burn your bridges...............

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Got to snap at that. On what basis, with evidence that is relevant to the post, do you make that comment please?
    On the basis of your last 8,575 posts... oh wait.. that's all of them

Only joking, couldn't resist

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    You're a contractor, you should not let any false sense of 'duty' cone into this. As long as you work your notice then you have fulfilled your side of the contract.
    Yup. You know you're going to go where the cash is, you just want us to cheer you on. Gladly!

Remember to come and post an update if it all goes tits up.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Jump and maybe piss a few people off who are pretty decent or stay and do what you committed yourself to do?
    I think there can be good reasons to leave a contract, principally:
    1. The initial term is over and you are negotiating an extension but no agreement can be reached.
    2. The client or agency have broken their end of the contract in some critical way, such as payment.
    3. You are working for a manager/team so incompetent or political that they are preventing you from getting work done, and you would be much more productive in a different environment. (Here you would still give notice I think.)
    4. A genuine personal emergency of your own.

I don't think any of these apply to your case.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Pork Belly
    Accept the second contract, but don't quit the first one. Also, take up smoking. When you go for a smoke break, just pop next door and do the needful. Keep doing this ad infinitum.

Sorted.
    Also acquire a dodgy tummy. Between those two issues you could do both for months.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I think this has been asked before on several occasions.

For much better money, bigger client, longer contract, better project...

Jump and maybe piss a few people off who are pretty decent or stay and do what you committed yourself to do?

Of course I am no suity like contracting idiot, I am off as soon as they waggle a contract in front of me but what would you do? Out of interest.

Just to add a litle bit of humour the 2 places are right next door to each other.
    Got to snap at that. On what basis, with evidence that is relevant to the post, do you make that comment please?

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    You're a contractor, you should not let any false sense of 'duty' cone into this. As long as you work your notice then you have fulfilled your side of the contract.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Adding it up it is 10s of thousands difference, that is the big one.
    Well based on the fact that they will know where you are going you could give them the opportunity to match.

What I wouldn't do is to claim stress and get a sick note.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I think this has been asked before on several occasions.

For much better money, bigger client, longer contract, better project...

Of course I am no suity like contracting idiot, I am off as soon as they waggle a contract in front of me but what would you do? Out of interest.

Just to add a litle bit of humour the 2 places are right next door to each other.
    Easy

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    You aren't that shallow, that you will let 10's of thousands of pounds influence your decision

are you ?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    look before you leap

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    The grass is always greener

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Adding it up it is 10s of thousands difference, that is the big one.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Things always look great in the brochure.
    That is the worry.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Things always look great in the brochure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X