• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Down

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Down"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Yellow commie bastard.
    More like brown - big time sun here in Corfu

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yes, but it will be deleted by mods, plus they already know my views, not that they give a **** about anything other than stuff that supports their point of view.
    Yellow commie bastard.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Have you got the balls to go over to that thread and tell them all?
    Yes, but it will be deleted by mods, plus they already know my views, not that they give a **** about anything other than stuff that supports their point of view.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I doubt many of them deposited the difference between tax due normally (40%) and tax paid (3.5%) in escrow account just in case their "scheme" does not work.

This BN66 debacle demonstrates how stupid it is to risk so much based on technicality that goes against common sense.
    Have you got the balls to go over to that thread and tell them all?

Thought not.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    What confuses me is whether they are complaining on moral or legal grounds (or both), or are they just trying not to hand over money that many of them simply do not have.
    I doubt many of them deposited the difference between tax due normally (40%) and tax paid (3.5%) in escrow account just in case their "scheme" does not work.

This BN66 debacle demonstrates how stupid it is to risk so much based on technicality that goes against common sense.

Perhaps if those who advise on tax affairs were required to deposit saved tax into escrow for 6 years just in case "scheme" get challenged by HMRC then it would remove a lot of temptation.
    Last edited by AtW; 26 July 2011, 16:20.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I get that the BN66 brigade are pissed off - they owe a lot of money, fair enough.

What confuses me is whether they are complaining on moral or legal grounds (or both), or are they just trying not to hand over money that many of them simply do not have.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Are you out of your mind? It's still illegal to steal - the only thing that such stupid behavior (forgetting to lock door) would probably affect is insurance payout who may refuse to compensate for loss, but the act of theft would nevertheless be criminal act.

The state just got sick of chasing people finding obscure loopholes - the best cause of action is to simplify the tax system to reasonable flat rates without any exceptions, however this is politically impossible even in good, nevertheless when people take the piss and market such schemes publicly then the state has no choice but to crack down on it - those who got affected should be grateful that fines are modest (no jail time).
    Sarcasm Alexy, sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    you may find a house where the owner forgot to lock his back door. In theory, you can go into this house via this back door and help yourself to the goods. This is legal. You are allowed to do that. If you want to stop this you need to close the door.
    Are you out of your mind? It's still illegal to steal - the only thing that such stupid behavior (forgetting to lock door) would probably affect is insurance payout who may refuse to compensate for loss, but the act of theft would nevertheless be criminal act.

The state just got sick of chasing people finding obscure loopholes - the best cause of action is to simplify the tax system to reasonable flat rates without any exceptions, however this is politically impossible even in good, nevertheless when people take the piss and market such schemes publicly then the state has no choice but to crack down on it - those who got affected should be grateful that fines are modest (no jail time).

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Exactly. If there's a loophole, close the loophole; but you can't just turn round and say "Hey, that thing you did that was legal? Well now it wasn't, so **** you."
    I got it now. I agree with Nick.

Its like this. Its illegal to break in to a house and steal. However, you may find a house where the owner forgot to lock his back door. In theory, you can go into this house via this back door and help yourself to the goods. This is legal. You are allowed to do that. If you want to stop this you need to close the door.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Nah, that's Davie Moonbeams debt now.
    You wish!!!

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Moving on, don't the terms "HMRC", "pound of flesh", and "retrospectively" send a shiver down your spine as a Gers fan?
    Nah, that's Davie Moonbeams debt now.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Exactly. If there's a loophole, close the loophole; but you can't just turn round and say "Hey, that thing you did that was legal? Well now it wasn't, so **** you."

As I've said in this context before, how would people like it if HMRC had legislation passed that said that, no matter what the circumstances of your contracts at the time, you had actually been caught by IR35 all along and owed them accordingly. This is basically what they've done over BN66.
    No it ****ing isn't. The existing legislation was passed in 1987 to stop the abuse of the DTA treaty. All this new scheme did was try to exploit that same loophole with a different mechanism. It's all to do with the vehicle that was set up to exploit the DTA treaty. Parliament said you will not exploit the treaty to circumvent paying tax that was due in the UK. Full stop. No if, no but, no maybe.

IR35 states you will not exploit the limited company avenue to avoid paying PAYE/NI. You are inside or outside IR35 due to your personal working circumstances, nothing else. One individual's circumstances does not affect another individual's circumstances as it is a subjective test.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The important point is that the retrospective nature of HMRC's attack, no matter how some might feel it is justified, sets a dangerous precedent. For that reason, and that reason alone, it should be resisted.

As I've said in this context before, how would people like it if HMRC had legislation passed that said that, no matter what the circumstances of your contracts at the time, you had actually been caught by IR35 all along and owed them accordingly. This is basically what they've done over BN66.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Moving on, don't the terms "HMRC", "pound of flesh", and "retrospectively" send a shiver down your spine as a Gers fan?
    Yep, just the same as the thought of the Dutch kicking the arses of the French. Your turn.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    How is that not the same as what I said? I simply put it across in a more formal construct.

The original 1987 legislation was applied retrospectively, you'd think that would sort of be identified as a precedent. In all of this, the only people who are losing out are the 'small people.' HMRC will still get their pound of flesh and the scheme providers have still got their fees and built their business up over the years off the back of this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X