• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    you may find a house where the owner forgot to lock his back door. In theory, you can go into this house via this back door and help yourself to the goods. This is legal. You are allowed to do that. If you want to stop this you need to close the door.
    Are you out of your mind? It's still illegal to steal - the only thing that such stupid behavior (forgetting to lock door) would probably affect is insurance payout who may refuse to compensate for loss, but the act of theft would nevertheless be criminal act.

The state just got sick of chasing people finding obscure loopholes - the best cause of action is to simplify the tax system to reasonable flat rates without any exceptions, however this is politically impossible even in good, nevertheless when people take the piss and market such schemes publicly then the state has no choice but to crack down on it - those who got affected should be grateful that fines are modest (no jail time).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Are you out of your mind? It's still illegal to steal - the only thing that such stupid behavior (forgetting to lock door) would probably affect is insurance payout who may refuse to compensate for loss, but the act of theft would nevertheless be criminal act.

The state just got sick of chasing people finding obscure loopholes - the best cause of action is to simplify the tax system to reasonable flat rates without any exceptions, however this is politically impossible even in good, nevertheless when people take the piss and market such schemes publicly then the state has no choice but to crack down on it - those who got affected should be grateful that fines are modest (no jail time).
      Sarcasm Alexy, sarcasm.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

I get that the BN66 brigade are pissed off - they owe a lot of money, fair enough.

What confuses me is whether they are complaining on moral or legal grounds (or both), or are they just trying not to hand over money that many of them simply do not have.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          What confuses me is whether they are complaining on moral or legal grounds (or both), or are they just trying not to hand over money that many of them simply do not have.
          I doubt many of them deposited the difference between tax due normally (40%) and tax paid (3.5%) in escrow account just in case their "scheme" does not work.

This BN66 debacle demonstrates how stupid it is to risk so much based on technicality that goes against common sense.

Perhaps if those who advise on tax affairs were required to deposit saved tax into escrow for 6 years just in case "scheme" get challenged by HMRC then it would remove a lot of temptation.
          Last edited by AtW; 26 July 2011, 16:20.

Comment

I doubt many of them deposited the difference between tax due normally (40%) and tax paid (3.5%) in escrow account just in case their "scheme" does not work.

This BN66 debacle demonstrates how stupid it is to risk so much based on technicality that goes against common sense.
            Have you got the balls to go over to that thread and tell them all?

Thought not.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Have you got the balls to go over to that thread and tell them all?
              Yes, but it will be deleted by mods, plus they already know my views, not that they give a **** about anything other than stuff that supports their point of view.

Comment

Yes, but it will be deleted by mods, plus they already know my views, not that they give a **** about anything other than stuff that supports their point of view.
                Yellow commie bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Yellow commie bastard.
                  More like brown - big time sun here in Corfu

Comment

Working...
                  X