• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Blinded in one eye

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Blinded in one eye"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Surely 3 x 8 Way extension = 22 spare sockets? As one of each of the first 2 is used and everything else is empty.
    I didn't say they were all populated. Though I was wrong. I have 4 daisy-chained extensions, not all are 8 way though.

This may sound like a fire waiting to happen but only a small number of the devices are turned on at any one time. The others are stuff like chargers, old PCs, printers, etc that only get used infrequently.

I'm pretty sure my reliance on the simple plug fuse is a sound one as well. If there's enough load to start a fire there must be enough load to blow a 13 amp fuse!

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    <pedant mode>
    Surely 3 x 8 Way extension = 22 spare sockets?

As one of each of the first 2 is used and everything else is empty.
    </pedant mode>

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    How do you guys arrange the power supply into your office without the fear of burning the house down?
    Good question. My home office only has one socket I can currently get to (the others blocked off by 'stuff') and counting the number of plugs I've got hanging off 3 daisy-chained extensions comes to....drum roll.....21.

My faith in plug fuses is being tested to the max.

One way to check for overloaded power cables is they get hot to touch. Mine are still cold so probably room for another 8 way extension.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I don't think my socket extension could cope with another peripheral (couldn't find a smoking zapped smiley).

How do you guys arrange the power supply into your office without the fear of burning the house down?

(One of my favourite Dr Who moments was when he stopped tens of drones downloading computer viruses onto the web by pulling out the single extension plug from the wall... )

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Would I actually notice much difference for the money? I have a Dell WFP 2407 at the moment.

The Asus looks to be a TN panel, as expected at that price point. The 2407 you have at the moment is a S-VPA so will have better quality image, especially with viewing angles.

Apart from the budget price I think TN's only advantage is for gaming if you need the better response times (less motion blur).

Worth reading as many reviews as you can find when thinking of shelling out serious wonga on new monitors, to get a feel for any advantages/disadvantages and whether they're important to you.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Not all 27" are the same. The Dell is 2560x1440. Can't find VQ278 in google but others with similarly catchy names (VK278Q) are only 1920x1080. Pixels are pricey.

The cheaper ones may also be naff TN panels when the Dell will be a S-VPA or S-IPS.

Only problem I'd have with 2x27" or 2x30" is I think they need dual DVI to reach the higher resolution (certainly the Dell does), so a decent gfx card or maybe two cheaper gfx cards.

Asus VE278Q

versus

Dell U2711

Would I actually notice much difference for the money? I have a Dell WFP 2407 at the moment. Probably gonna be lnking them up to an Nvidia 570GTX or similar. Dual DVI-D available.

All this talk of 27" and 30", gotta be an E-P3nis complex.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 19 July 2011, 15:38.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Current plan in the next couple of months 2 x 27" Dell U2711s.

Although I must admit, I am choking a tad on the price of the monitors when you can get an Asus VQ278 for 40% of the price.

Not all 27" are the same. The Dell is 2560x1440. Can't find VQ278 in google but others with similarly catchy names (VK278Q) are only 1920x1080. Pixels are pricey.

The cheaper ones may also be naff TN panels when the Dell will be a S-VPA or S-IPS.

Only problem I'd have with 2x27" or 2x30" is I think they need dual DVI to reach the higher resolution (certainly the Dell does), so a decent gfx card or maybe two cheaper gfx cards.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Current plan in the next couple of months alongside a new all singing all dancing invoicing, spreadsheeting and work processing monster is 2 x 27" Dell U2711s.

Although I must admit, I am choking a tad on the price of the monitors when you can get an Asus VQ278 for 40% of the price. But VS2010, Excel, Outlook etc will be great across the monitors.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    My IBM green screen is still going strong.
    Get a red one and you can have 3D.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    My IBM green screen is still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    For those of you that have >2 monitors. Do these run off multiple physical machines? If so, Do you have multiple Keybds etc or do you KVM switch it?
    I have one screen connected to what can be described as a "comms" PC which I use for downloading, connecting to the WHS etc and the other two on my main workstation. I have two wireless keyboards and laser mice on my desk, one for each box.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    For those of you that have >2 monitors. Do these run off multiple physical machines? If so, Do you have multiple Keybds etc or do you KVM switch it?

I tried a cheapo kvm switch but kept forgetting which machine I was controlling on which screen.

Now I use remote desktop so I have a desktop within a desktop.

Sometimes I have a desktop within a desktop within a desktop within a VPN within a virtual machine within a desktop, when accessing PCs at the client site from home.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Just buy an hd telly with a decent contrast ratio (50,000:1 or better minimum) and they do just fine
    Good idea for when I'm mr magoo. At the moment I don't need fonts of 30 point!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Just buy an hd telly with a decent contrast ratio (50,000:1 or better minimum) and they do just fine

Leave a comment:

Working...
X