• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interviews, any advice"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    OK, this is my take on the interview.

They have got you in and at some point they have thought "this person can do the job", there is no such thing as a good interview I believe, you have 30/60 minutes where they can see how much self harm you can do and rule yourself out of the job.

The classic interview is them reading you out a line from your CV and prompting you to reply, structure the CV with bullet points and rehearse 3 verbal points on each bullet point.

"It says here you worked on a trading system?"

Line 1 "That was a challenging role"
    Line 2 "I added this to the team"
    Line 2 "it was a great success"

And if you do not know how to answer the question? Reply with a question.

And wear good clothes.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post
    I had a very frank and refeshing discussion with a interviewer last week. We discussed how, sometimes, it is difficult to know at what level to pitch your CV or your interview responses. Mostly, you are presented with a brief or sub-standard job spec which in many cases bears no resmblance to the job they are looking to fill. You try to get across that you undersatand a process and have managed it before for example - in fact you 'led a team that delivered that successfully' - you then find out that that worries them because they don't want someone to 'lead the team', they want someone who is 'hands on', so you have to then back-track somewhat and explain that, of course, you were hands-on as well as leading the team......

You try to get across the fact that you have an in-depth and all round knowledge of something/anything (which is why you are a good catch), and the more twitchy hirers rule you out because you might be too good.....
    WKDS

That's why I have moved myself into a nich where I am the only person on the project doing the role. Less things for the hirer to think about. Does she have enough knowledge and experience to do the role, yes/no.

Down side is there are less roles to apply for.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Dodd
    replied
    Interviews

I had a very frank and refeshing discussion with a interviewer last week. We discussed how, sometimes, it is difficult to know at what level to pitch your CV or your interview responses. Mostly, you are presented with a brief or sub-standard job spec which in many cases bears no resmblance to the job they are looking to fill. You try to get across that you undersatand a process and have managed it before for example - in fact you 'led a team that delivered that successfully' - you then find out that that worries them because they don't want someone to 'lead the team', they want someone who is 'hands on', so you have to then back-track somewhat and explain that, of course, you were hands-on as well as leading the team......

You try to get across the fact that you have an in-depth and all round knowledge of something/anything (which is why you are a good catch), and the more twitchy hirers rule you out because you might be too good.....

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    My interviews (usually on the phone) is more like a sales pitch, telling them what I can do for them. I usually send them a Power Point of what I have covered.

You need to find unique about your experience and push that.

It's not about what you have done, but what you can do for them.

Also from your tone, it sounds like you need a holiday, if possible take a break for a couple of months, come back fresh after the summer.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

The best advice I can give you is listen more and talk less.
    You can overdo that though, if the interviewer is a natural windbag.

They'll go away thinking the world of you for being such a good listener, but when it comes to mulling over the final choice the chances are you'll be rejected for being unmemorable and not putting yourself across!

It's best to be a good listener, but also listen out for opportunities to tactfully interrupt if necessary and make salient points, especially if the interviewer starts drifting off on a tangent or labouring a point (at least one of which a windbag is sure to do before long).

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Be yourself - no matter what they say ..

Good Luck !

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    be you but on a really good day !
    I like that.
    Good advice..

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    First - Lots of good news here, you are getting plenty of interviews. That says your experience and skills are relevant and in demand.
    Second - Clearly you have the confidence to look at yourself for the reasons why you haven't landed one.
    Reality is that there can be many reasons, job is pulled, spec changes or someone just perfect for it walks in after you. Still, it does look like a bad run.
    After 15 years I presume you are very used to the process and comfortable, I actually enjoy interviews for the challenge etc. Are you certain you aren't being negative ? In an interview, I have got a work story indicating experience for virtually anything they might ask me. There are occasions when I will say no, I haven't done that but these will be very specific skills that there is no way I can blag/learn before I get there. Doing the job has always been the easy bit so tell 'em what they want to hear, try to be personable with some personality (but not too much !!) and try not to be odd....
    At least 50% is about whether you will fit in with the team (and if you are like the interviewer who will be sub-consciously hiring themselves). It's a sales job or first-date, be you but on a really good day !

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by jbt View Post

My background is as as a Data Analyst (IB, Utilities, Govt, Energy) and yep probably we are two a penny. TIA
    JB
    Its extremely hard to find Data Analysts who are excellent programmers (R, Excel VBA, SAS) and have a strong knowledge of statistics (modelling etc.).
    Perhaps your skills aren't that good.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by jbt View Post
    Hi,

In 6 weeks i've had 8 interviews. Of that 2 (IB's) said i was too senior. For two i had 2nd interviews and still a no. Today i had another no. One interview lined up next week. In my 15 years of contracting i've never had this level of no's.

I get called up most days my agents wanting to put me forward for roles. I always request a spec. and am sent one which is usually comprehensive. Maybe it is just "the times" we are in but i'm beginning to wonder maybe i'm going wrong. Feedback where given is i'm a strong confident articulate so its not negative. Has anoyone had similar experience?

My background is as as a Data Analyst (IB, Utilities, Govt, Energy) and yep probably we are two a penny. Pluggin away i know is the only way to go. Just interested to hear thoughts on the above.

TIA
    JB
    Whilst this post is in the wrong forum for a serious response, the only thing I can say is to keep on trying. Don't let the no's get to you. Also look at different areas that you haven't covered as part of your previous Data Analyst experience. Tell the company as to why you think you are best fit. You may want to review your CV to see how it best fits with the roles you are applying for.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    The best advice I can give you is listen more and talk less.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I feel a bit guilty now.

So... the best advice I can offer is - if you've being turned down despite being confident and authoritative, it sounds like you've been trying to impress them instead of making them like you.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You only posted a tit, you tit. You meant to say we can say tits not tit.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    We can get into a mood argument or we can go with Beyonce.

I am going with Beyonce as she has cracking tits.
    Hey! we can say

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    If I were...

hth
    tl

Leave a comment:

Working...
X