• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lube up and bend over taxpayers of Northern European and take your shafting"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    i think a lot of town centres are struggling to compete with the out of town shopping centres so it does not neccesarily mean that people are spending less but they are spending it in a different place.....

but I have no evidence to back that up
    If they start taxing Charity Shops properly then that budget deficit will soon be cleared. They are everywhere!!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    i think a lot of town centres are struggling to compete with the out of town shopping centres so it does not neccesarily mean that people are spending less but they are spending it in a different place.....

but I have no evidence to back that up

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    They should be trying to get these closed shops turned into small business offices, at least get the places occupied.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You say that like it is a bad thing. Lots of gravy-trained freeloaders doing nothing jobs at the taxpayers expense. Lay them all off and rehire for those positions where we actually notice.
    Those are not the cuts I'm on about. The cuts you'll notice are the ones to services not only staff.

It'll be easier for them to reduce services, such as closing libraries, reduce repairs to roads and infrastructure, than pay out redundancy to those in non-jobs.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    nope your not imagining it, when I came back to the UK for a weekend I was amazed how few people were in the town centre shopping on Saturday. Arcades now full of shut shops.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I'm seeing more and more closed and boarded up shops, even on nice shopping streets, though to be fair usually I'm not looking, so this may be normal.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    a sign of worse things to come as cuts in public services
    You say that like it is a bad thing. Lots of gravy-trained freeloaders doing nothing jobs at the taxpayers expense. Lay them all off and rehire for those positions where we actually notice.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    The UK has been in decline since the second world war. "If the empire lasts a thousand years...", it barely lasted 5.

If you want to see what your town will look like someday soon, take a day trip to one of the seaside resorts that were once booming tourist attractions. Blackpool, Skegness, Clacton,... the list goes on.

The boarded up shop fronts and decaying infrastructure is what you may already be seeing closer to home and a sign of worse things to come as cuts in public services, decline in residual wealth, and dilution of the british enterprise continues.

I'm sure it will turn out alright though when we are all on minimum wage (in real terms) with houses still costing north of ~150k.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    In retrospect the UK hasn't paid its way in the world probably since the 60s. We can hardly blame the EU for this or our current self-inflicted problems.

Leave a comment:

• geoff from contracta IOM
    replied
    I think Europe could safely be described as a failed fiscal experiment largely at the expense of the UK and other ( once ) wealthy nations

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    When's the next one due to join? The free market can't resist all that lovely cheap labour.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Bet it won't be as much fun as that.

Leave a comment:

• Lube up and bend over taxpayers of Northern European and take your shafting

Your leaders have decided you shall subsidise the feckless southern states and so you shall.
    Unless the invisible hand of the free market saves you.

Working...
X