• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NOW - Ding Ding - Round Two."

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Yeah. We're seeing the decline of printed news and them struggle to get people to pay for news online when there are already loads of free sites offering similar content, even Google News.

It's like the end of the roman empire. They won't go quietly.

Not sure if the beeb are expecting some major developments today, they've got a live coverage page on their site. I'm surprised Murdoch hasn't got it on Sky pay-per-view.

BBC News - Live: Phone hacking row

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    2. Sky is more profitable than the brit papers
    Apparently the News International papers in Britain only bring in 10% of their worldwide newspaper cash.

And probably a bit less than that since last week.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Murdoch won't get his hands on BSkyB now. Cameron is in hot water over Coulson and his only way out of trouble is to block the bid or kick it into the long grass. Besides, News Corp have withdrawn their offer to spin off Sky News -- strange move I thought because this just makes Cameron's task much easier.

On Newsnight last night they were summising that the strategy is to let the brit papers change owner so News Corp can take over BSkyB with Sky News included.

Reasons for the strategy:

1. The 'contagion' of NOTW may be spreading to the other papers in wapping, beyond News International.

2. Sky is more profitable than the brit papers

3. The Competition Commission that is now overseeing the proposed buy-out will not be an issue if News Corp only own the TV news and not paper based news.

So if this is the case why did they burn NOTW instead of trying to offload them all together? Looks like a game of chess that still has everything to pay for. Especially now we have Gordon stepping into the war:

BBC News - Brown accuses News International of using criminals

News International respond with 'no comment' on above story. Where's my popcorn this war is getting interesting.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Beautifully vitriolic article by Trevor Kavanagh by the Sun. Looks like News International isn;t going to take this completely lying down and appears to be lining up it Ed Milliband, The BBC and The Guardian in it's sites for assassination. Let the Media wars start.

Death of a great paper is a real tragedy

By TREVOR KAVANAGH
    What a load of bitter tripe.

PS: MF are you formatting your entire posts or is that the software doing something weird?

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    So, can all of :

Daily Mail, Mail On Sunday
    Daily Express / Sunday Express
    Independent / IoS
    Guardian / Observer
    BBC, Sky, ITN etc

.. categorically state they NEVER used a dodgy source for a story; bribed someone; used police informants to tip them off; used unethical (if not illegal) 'social engineering' to gain a story ?

I doubt it..

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    What we will see will be a move by Millibrand to try and bring in a motion to ensure that it is not possible for one person/business to own both newspapers and television.

Of course, Cameron is going
    to offer no opinion
    on this while Millibrand is going to be annihilated. His brother will be in charge in less than 12 months.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Murdoch won't get his hands on BSkyB now. Cameron is in hot water over Coulson and his only way out of trouble is to block the bid or kick it into the long grass. Besides, News Corp have withdrawn their offer to spin off Sky News -- strange move I thought because this just makes Cameron's task much easier.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Labour allowed councils to empty bins to see what you were putting in them, they started stop and search powers for terrorism after the IRA cease fire and prior to Muslim backed terrorism. At the lowest level of threat from terrorism they introduced the most draconian terrorism laws since internment.

I have never felt troubled over privacy by the papers, Labour have been much more frightening.
    I'm not saying the politicians are any less bad, just saying that I don't think the current fuss is disproportionate.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I don't think it is being blown out of proportion. It's systematic, corporate sanctioned spying not just on celebs but on politicians and the royals, and bribery of police officers over a period of years. If Coulson or Ms Brooks or James Murdoch knew about it they should go to prison. If they didn't know then they shouldn't be running the company or any other company as they are clearly incompetent to do so, so I don't see any way you can trust them to run BskyB either.
    Labour allowed councils to empty bins to see what you were putting in them, they started stop and search powers for terrorism after the IRA cease fire and prior to Muslim backed terrorism. At the lowest level of threat from terrorism they introduced the most draconian terrorism laws since internment.

I have never felt troubled over privacy by the papers, Labour have been much more frightening.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Deleting the Dowler VMs was a very sick thing to do but compared to the Iraq war excuse it is small fry.

I hate the moral canon wheeled out every year telling us what we should think, it fires off every few months and if you do not get behind it you are thought less off.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I don't think it is being blown out of proportion. It's systematic, corporate sanctioned spying not just on celebs but on politicians and the royals, and bribery of police officers over a period of years. If Coulson or Ms Brooks or James Murdoch knew about it they should go to prison. If they didn't know then they shouldn't be running the company or any other company as they are clearly incompetent to do so, so I don't see any way you can trust them to run BskyB either.
    The News Of the Screws wasn't the only newspaper guilty of this though.

The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times have now been implicated as well as the other tabloids.

Even local newpapers which are mainly owned by groups which include a national tabloid could be in trouble. Journalists are now coming out with the tricks they used to get stories including paying police....

Oh and while Murdoch can close all the newspapers down it doesn't stop him being guilty under a US Federal Law on corruption.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Murdoch will have his revenge, what they did was wrong but it is getting blown out of proportion now.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Cameron was a bit of a tit really but Labour are prize hypocrites moaning about spying when they sanctioned an army of council bin police to check up on your waste disposal habits with early morning raids on your wheelie bin.

This is going to come down to 'better the devil you know' for most people and as much as I hate Murdoch I would rather be on his side than the 160 billion per year deficit mob
    What is interesting is that I don't think anyone in parliament has realised that Murdoch will simply shut all the papers if it is the only way to buy BSkyB.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Cameron was a bit of a tit really but Labour are prize hypocrites moaning about spying when they sanctioned an army of council bin police to check up on your waste disposal habits with early morning raids on your wheelie bin.

This is going to come down to 'better the devil you know' for most people and as much as I hate Murdoch I would rather be on his side than the 160 billion per year deficit mob

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Murdoch will have his revenge, what they did was wrong but it is getting blown out of proportion now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X