• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Degree ? Waste Of Time"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Bovvered
    Call me arrogant, but I am being matter-of-fact. I'll wager I'm one of the top paid developers on this board, and one of the best. I don't have a degree. I'm not against degrees; if you want one, go for it, but you certainly don't need one. However, I will say that I did have a giggle when at one company they took on two grads, one with a PhD. On the first week they asked if the could be sent on a SQL course. FFS. a) they came out of software engineering degrees without even rudimentary SQL, b) they didn't have the whereabouts to use the biggest resource of all: the net.
    Nah mate, I won't call you arrogant, merely incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    Call me arrogant, but I am being matter-of-fact. I'll wager I'm one of the top paid developers on this board, and one of the best. I don't have a degree. I'm not against degrees; if you want one, go for it, but you certainly don't need one. However, I will say that I did have a giggle when at one company they took on two grads, one with a PhD. On the first week they asked if the could be sent on a SQL course. FFS. a) they came out of software engineering degrees without even rudimentary SQL, b) they didn't have the whereabouts to use the biggest resource of all: the net.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    Why oh fat furry arsed one?
    Now, you've set me laughing as well.

Doh, I see a future of "Big Brother" being thought high brow.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    No there's no problem going to Uni, just be careful before you pick up the soldering iron.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Laughing my fat furry arse off!!!!
    Why oh fat furry arsed one?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Not that I've kept in touch. But you needed a first and an MsC or PhD in a science subject from Oxbridge, Cambridge or London. They were looking for sharp analytical skills. I failed numerous interviews. Sigh. Not sycophantic enough.
    Laughing my fat furry arse off!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Can someone tell me, was it a waste of time? Should I have left after my O levels or not gone to school at all? I'm seriously worried I made the wrong choice, after all I could have got a job in Rumbelows

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...no no it doesn't blister provided you get your hand under the cold tap.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Nasty white colour?

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I must correct you there, BB, the skin actually goes a nasty white colour... just before it blisters...
    You are Trevor Phillips and I claim my £5

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    But some of the ones that did, now earn several hundred thousand a year in the City. Looking at some of the adverts a few years ago made me wish I'd done theoretical physics.
    A lot of my friends and acquaintances from university went to work for merchant banks and other financial institutions: Dow Jones, Schroders, Barclay de Zoet Wed (spelling?) and so on. Some are now quite senior. Not that I've kept in touch. But you needed a first and an MsC or PhD in a science subject from Oxbridge, Cambridge or London. They were looking for sharp analytical skills. I failed numerous interviews. Sigh. Not sycophantic enough.

A few years back I had an interview with one of the firms who 20 years ago only recruited Oxbridge and London graduates with firsts. They said that they had changed their policy and now prefer people with appropriate experience and skills. Maybe the banks have changed too?

But this is a tiny minority of the people who do study physics and similar subjects. Most go on to teach, practice accountancy and so on. Or code.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    pick up the soldering iron up by the wrong end.
    Yes, I find the smell of burning flesh is a good indication that you've done this, also the skin goes a browny/black colour and smokes.

Another good test I used in the electronics lab is touching bare wires, when seizures go up the arm that means the wire is live.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Hit a nerve did I my dear?
    Not at all sunshine.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Which begs the question....

How the feck would you know?
    Hit a nerve did I my dear?

Leave a comment:

• rabisco
    replied
    Degree first and then certifications (if you need them)

A degree first and certifications (if you need them) has always been my philosophy and it has worked for me so far.

I have a first degree and a masters and have been in the industry for about 8 year now.. I have survived so far with no certifications, but shed loads of experience.

I have always thought that anyone attempting certification in any area of the industry should have a degree first. This is how the medical and and pharmacy professions have been able to secure their positions in the job market.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    And you thought threaded wore those gloves

Which begs the question....

How the feck would you know?
    for cycling, rather than to protect the remains of his fingers.......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X