• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pensions raid > End of private sector pensions > Mother of all stockmarket crashes"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    What about real contactors (i.e. us!), not temps employed by the agency?

Maybe companies will start using more 'short term' contractors that are operating on a B2B basis, not disguised employees.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    This will just increase the number of companies hiring Bobs, since they will not be counted as employees no doubt.

Another brilliant Lib Dem "idea" forced on the Tories to hold this bag-o-tulipe coalition together no doubt.
    Agency workers will be covered in the pensions bill as well - from Oct 2012

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    This will just increase the number of companies hiring Bobs, since they will not be counted as employees no doubt.

Another brilliant Lib Dem "idea" forced on the Tories to hold this bag-o-tulipe coalition together no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    I think they may be one step ahead of you there PAH - comes into force next year:

The Pensions Bill is the next step in helping millions save for their retirement in a workplace pension.
    FT: Pension changes heading for ‘car crash’

Government plans requiring employers to start enrolling their employees automatically into a pension scheme are heading for a “car crash”, a leading firm of actuaries and pension consultants has warned.

A survey of finance and human resources directors at some of Britain’s biggest companies – the ones which will have to start auto-enrolment in October next year – shows that 40 per cent of finance directors are not aware of the deadline.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Maybe that's the plan. They make it law that everyone earning an income has to put their money only in a safe government backed public pension, which they can then use to pay all the public sector workers on their generous final salary schemes.

You'd trust the government with your money wouldn't you? If you have an NS&I investment you've already answered yes!
    I think they may be one step ahead of you there PAH - comes into force next year:

The Pensions Bill is the next step in helping millions save for their retirement in a workplace pension.

At present employers do not have to contribute into a pension scheme for their employees and many choose not to. As a result, as a country we are under-saving for retirement.

Minister for Pensions Steve Webb said:

"This Bill will radically transform the pensions landscape in this country. Millions of people, who currently have little or nothing put by for their retirement will, from 2012, find themselves enrolled in a workplace pension – setting them on the road to a more secure future."

From 2012 employers will be required to automatically enrol eligible employees into a qualifying pension scheme. The measures included in the Bill will take forward the recommendations of the recent independent review of auto-enrolment to ensure that there is a balance between costs and benefits for individuals and a more proportionate impact on employers.

Middle earners after the reforms could be gaining well over the equivalent of a year’s pay if they chose to save in a workplace pension. Based on employer contributions of 3 %, people earning an average income could gain an extra £650 a year – or around £30,000 over their working life by contributing to their pension.

Lord Freud said:

"We know that the younger people start to save, the better off they will be in retirement and that’s why automatic enrolment will be so crucial. The measures in this Bill will provide a fair deal for workers in retirement, ease the burden on business and provide a sure foundation for pensions for generations to come."

The Pensions Bill will implement measures in the Making Automatic Enrolment Work review and the Command Paper ‘A sustainable State Pension: when the State Pension age will increase to 66’. It builds on reforms set out in the Pensions Act 2008 and Pensions Act 2007.

The Pensions Bill will bring forward the rise in the State Pension age for men and women to 66 by 2020 so that the State Pension remains sustainable and fair for the future, given rising rates of longevity.

Some key measures in the Bill include:

Aligning the earnings threshold for automatic enrolment with the personal allowance for income tax
    Introducing an optional waiting period of up to three months before employees need to be automatically enrolled
    Simplifying the process for employers to certify their money purchase schemes meet requirements for automatic enrolment
    Providing greater flexibility for employers regarding re-enrolment dates
    Bringing forward the increase in State Pension age to 66 by 2020 and bringing women’s State Pension age in line with men’s to 65 by 2018
    Allow contributions to be taken towards the cost of providing personal pension benefits to current judicial pensions scheme members

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I found the place so depressing I didn't even get a semi.
    I once had a full-on stiffy in Reading, but only whilst watching a sweaty, panting Patti Smith on stage in 1978!!
    And in my defence, I did have a fair cargo of beer aboard!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    This would kill off private pensions.

Maybe that's the plan. They make it law that everyone earning an income has to put their money only in a safe government backed public pension, which they can then use to pay all the public sector workers on their generous final salary schemes.

You'd trust the government with your money wouldn't you? If you have an NS&I investment you've already answered yes!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    Is the "Oh dear!" brand still going?

George Osborne plots £7bn pensions 'raid' on better off - Telegraph

"Some Conservative MPs expect the axing of higher-rate relief to be merely the first stage in a more extensive and radical plan which would end up with all tax relief – including on contributions made by people paying the basic 20p rate of income tax – being abolished, saving £22 billion a year in total."

This would kill off private pensions. Who would bother to contribute out of their net income, knowing that the pension income would be taxed when they eventually retire and draw that income? (Double taxation... lovely!).

If this were to happen, would the following be a realistic scenario?....

1) Government removes all tax relief on contributions, leading to...

2) ...everyone stops contributing to private pensions, leading to...

3) ...private pension funds have to close & liquidate, leading to...

4) ...the mother of all stockmarket crashes, making the late 90's dot-com boom and the more recent credit-crunch look like minor hiccups, as funds race to sell huge shareholdings before the price falls further.

I can't believe the government would be so foolish as to go down this route? Would they?

Dooooooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!

Logic!!!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Jeff, have you ever lived in a semi in Reading?
    I got a semi while reading.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    You've not lived unless you've had a semi in Reading...
    I found the place so depressing I didn't even get a semi.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Irish government has already raided private pensions.

Irish Bombshell: Government Raids PRIVATE Pensions To Pay For Spending

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Surely, even Osborne can't be that dumb. Can he?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Perhaps he is a point - ultimately things dont look so rosy now - do they ?

Still in an infinite Time Zone - everything WILL happen - so thats not so bad - perhaps.

Pip Pip !

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Jeff, have you ever lived in a semi in Reading?
    You've not lived unless you've had a semi in Reading...

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Grab your coat Jeff you've pulled
    If you like chutney am sure you'll make a lovely couple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X