• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Foxes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Foxes"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Indeed. Feed NICE little birds, foxes, squirrels etc, but stop feeding horrible people.

PS Except Jackdaws!! Anyone know how to get rid of those? Numbers have exploded here and where they used to stay in the woods now they have all started invading the gardens. Squawk, squawk all day long.
    Except the sparrows that are nesting somewhere nearby. At least I think it's sparrows. Fierce non-stop chattering from 4 am to dusk*. We had too many pigeons a few years ago, but the council had a campaign to cut down their numbers and that seems to have worked.

* There was an obviously hungry cat yowling outside my kitchen window yesterday. If it had any enterprise it would surely find out where the racket is coming from and get a free dinner.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I forgot about that as well!! Indeed it does as the blighters will dig under any fencing to get at your chucks.
    That happened to a neighbour's chickens.

Version 2 of the coop had a solid floor.

Then there was the farmer who had build his coop with slats a pine marten could get through. The pine marten gorged itself so much that it was too fat to get out. Hello shotgun.

The eggs were worth the trouble though. Unlike the ones you buy in the shops they were not uniform in size, but they had beautiful golden yokes and tasted wonderful.

Mmm. Egg and cress sandwiches. Yum.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The fence needs to extend at least a foot underground.
    I forgot about that as well!! Indeed it does as the blighters will dig under any fencing to get at your chucks.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    I've got my own chicken coop made of wire mesh strengthed with wooden beams, at one end is a wooden run (with a small hole either end to drop a wooden slat into it as extra protection) into what used to be a kids wooden playhouse which is now their home at night time or when they fancy a kip during the day

Otherwise foxes get wise and dig under the ground and get in there and kill, but not neccessarily eat, them, you need something enclosed with a solid floor to keep the foxes out at night

Of course the bonus is to able to send ladies photos of your cock without them wanting to punch you
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Her fecking cock would crow from 4am in summer.
    What a coincidence? I find that MY fecking cock grows from 4am in summer too!!

Oh hang on..........I see what you did there.............

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Except your neighbours may kill you, kill the cock or slap an noise abatement order on you.

I grew up about 4 roads away from a woman who had chickens. Her fecking cock would crow from 4am in summer.
    Ive got two cocks, but strangely no ones complained yet. I think perhaps they wouldn't dare, we have a reputation round here

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post

Of course the bonus is to able to send ladies photos of your cock without them wanting to punch you
    Except your neighbours may kill you, kill the cock or slap an noise abatement order on you.

I grew up about 4 roads away from a woman who had chickens. Her fecking cock would crow from 4am in summer.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Interesting thread this as I live in a semi rural area, and am just about to get some chickens. I was worried about the foxes in the area.

Anyone else keep chickens, and any tips to keep them away from the threat of foxes ??
    I've got my own chicken coop made of wire mesh strengthed with wooden beams, at one end is a wooden run (with a small hole either end to drop a wooden slat into it as extra protection) into what used to be a kids wooden playhouse which is now their home at night time or when they fancy a kip during the day

Otherwise foxes get wise and dig under the ground and get in there and eat them, you need something enclosed with a solid floor to keep the foxes out at night

Last edited by amcdonald; 20 June 2011, 10:12.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Interesting thread this as I live in a semi rural area, and am just about to get some chickens. I was worried about the foxes in the area.

Anyone else keep chickens, and any tips to keep them away from the threat of foxes ??
    Ensure you have somewhere to keep them in securely a night, do not leave them outside, make sure any fencing you have around their area is sturdy and very high. also make sure any locks you have on the chicken coop aren't easy to break as foxes will work out how to unlock things.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Indeed. Feed NICE little birds, foxes, squirrels etc, but stop feeding horrible people.

PS Except Jackdaws!! Anyone know how to get rid of those? Numbers have exploded here and where they used to stay in the woods now they have all started invading the gardens. Squawk, squawk all day long.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    I've come to the conclusion in some urban areas there should be a complete ban on feeding wild life. They won't starve due to the rubbish which they already scavenge from.
    That should work for Chavs as well as foxes

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    There's a feckwhit neighbour of mine who was doing that.

Silly woman.

However, haven't seen any foxes recently much to my delight.
    I hope she gets fleas.

Even feeding the birds in my area is a problem due to the parakeets. Plus there are the feckwits who feed the pigeons even though there is already a ban on feeding them.

I've come to the conclusion in some urban areas there should be a complete ban on feeding wild life. They won't starve due to the rubbish which they already scavenge from.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    How rude !!
    Especially with all the effort you've made into flossing.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Try breathing over them you pikey fookwit!!!
    You could stun a skunk at 200 metres!!

How rude !!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X