• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ticks - How to get rid of?"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Fnarr Fnarr !! But anything that floats yer boat, I suppose.
    DOH! Shades of Rodney Marsh

Marsh later joked that the England manager Alf Ramsey told him ‘I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime," to which Marsh said that he replied: “Crikey, Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea.”.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Do you have hedgehogs in your garden? They're infested with ticks.

If you have a lawn, a good trick is to pull a light woollen blanket across it, and any ticks on the lawn will grab onto it, from where you can pull them off afterwards. Keep doing that daily a few times and you'll catch most of them.

Fnarr Fnarr !! But anything that floats yer boat, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Neat alcohol applied to the affected area works.
    Turps also works.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've found this sort of thing quite effective in the past:

No. Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I've got to share my whiskey and the Haribo with the little
    darlings!!!

Bleeding me dry!!!
    Sharing your Haribo?

Girl, 10, finds dad's cocaine in Haribo bag | The Sun |News

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    We use this on our cats. I couldn't see anywhere it said "Not suitable for children".

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    On a child???
    Oh dear.

Has the backlash against passive smoking got that bad since I left?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Whenever one of the cats ended up with one, mother used to light a cigar and hold the burning end against the blood-filled part. They used to let go then.

Have you tried that?
    On a child???

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Whenever one of the cats ended up with one, mother used to light a cigar and hold the burning end against the blood-filled part. They used to let go then.

Have you tried that?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Do you have hedgehogs in your garden? They're infested with ticks.

If you have a lawn, a good trick is to pull a light woollen blanket across it, and any ticks on the lawn will grab onto it, from where you can pull them off afterwards. Keep doing that daily a few times and you'll catch most of them.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Get your kids immunised. Lyme's disease is pretty nasty if it doesn't get treated early. (Treatment is penicillin).

Edit: ah - you can't get the vaccine in the UK. In that case, keep your eye out for a red "bulls-eye" rash. If they get one, go see a doc. There are a few thousand cases of infection in the UK every year.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Get a tick remover from the pet shop. Looks like a little two pronged fork and you get two or three different sizes in a set.

Don't leave any bits in when removing them. Nasty little ****ers.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

I've got to share my whiskey and the Haribo with the little
    darlings!!!

Bleeding me dry!!!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    That's his solution to everything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X