• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Skype

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Skype"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Have MS taken control of it yet?

Or do they need to get permission from monopoly commissions?
    Yep, they did need permission from the US Department of Justice:

Microsoft gains DoJ anti-trust approval on Skype buy

And heads have rolled already:

According to Bloomberg, which cited three people familiar with the matter, a number of senior wonks at Skype have been fired.

The news wire said that four veeps - David Gurle, Christopher Dean, Russ Shaw and Don Albert - were told to leave ahead of the deal closing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What about AIM, yahoo, etc? They are pretty big - before Skype MSN wasn't the only big player.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why would they need that? It's not like they are buying full rights to Linux.
    'ere we go:

Did Microsoft buy an IM monopoly with Skype purchase?

More and more analysts are coming round to the idea that Microsoft’s Skype purchase was strategically a very wise more, but we still hear all to often, largely from tech bloggers, that the $8.5 billion will soon be wasted due to Google Talk taking over.

The truth of the matter is however that there are really only 2 big IM networks in the world, Skype and Windows Live Messenger, and the two combined likely have over 80% of the IM market. Of course no-one knows how how many active Google Talk users are, and Google has never told anyone, but as it is confined to a percentage of the 200 million Gmail users, likely not much bigger than Yahoo Messenger, and when Skype and Messenger merge the network effect will be immense, ultimately locking out other smaller IM networks.

Microsoft has many plans for Skype, but merely owning 80% of IM may well be worth $8.5 billion all by itself.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Down to 72,003 online now apparently. Was 2m 30min ago!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It went down about 30min just now. Back up again.
    Oh wait. It was green but when I tried to open the window it crashed. When I restarted it forced an update on me. Now I am showing online but every single one of my contacts is not.

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I blame Microsoft
    That's what I'd expect an idiot to say. Hmm.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Skype dies on it's arse, again.

Skype hangs up on users yet again

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    yep down for me too

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Why would they need that? It's not like they are buying full rights to Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    It was offline for about half an hour and now back up and running. A strong guess would be that they are moving to Windows servers and they all rebooted after a Windows update.
    Have MS taken control of it yet?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    It was offline for about half an hour and now back up and running. A strong guess would be that they are moving to Windows servers and they all rebooted after a Windows update.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Not working for me either.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It's all part of the plan to make you upgrade to a newly chargeable and more reliable model.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Back for me too.
    And now gone again

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Back for me too.
    Still out here.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I had a nice email from Skype the other day warning me that my credit would be locked if I didn't make a phone call soon, and as chance would have it I wanted to make an overseas call anyway, which I think cost peanuts. I could hear an echo of myself talking, but I am generally pleased with the service, especially as it can be done using my iPod Touch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X