• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Damp earth under floorboards"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So is this the post that Churchy is complaining about someone negging him on & got all over.

You suggested a poster hang himself. You really are a very nasty piece of work.

(shakes head in disgust and disappointment smiley)
    Yep, I can be. I never denied that.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    He meant to say "hang out" with cool people like Churchill.
    Don't cover for him. I think he meant it. And now he's..

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So is this the post that Churchy is complaining about someone negging him on & got all over.

He meant to say "hang out" with cool people like Churchill.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Hang yourself
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    ftfy.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Call in an estate agent.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Just in case anyone else has had this issue and overcome it.

My bungalow is 1960’s, and is direct to the earth below the floorboards.

Subsequently, I sometimes get some damp below the floorboards.

Not really an issue in winter when the central heating kicks in nicely, but, in the summer more of an issue as the kitchen especially smells of damp.

Expensive solution is to get floorboards ripped out, get a firm to concrete etc, but, is there any type of underfloor heating, or underfloor dehumidification, permanently installed quiet dehumidifier etc that I could investigate? Currently using B&Q’s finest dehumidifier but noisy and a PITA to empty every day!

Cheers.
    Check that you haven't got any leaks under there, either from the water pipes (you probably would have noticed if they had a significant leak) or from any waste pipes.

My house is a similar construction, mid 60's bungalow with a crawl space/soil/ground under the floor boards. Even though I live in one of the wettest parts of the country there has never been a damp smell except just after the bathroom was redone and a pipe started leaking.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The problem is you're running out of space for all those neighbours' bodies.

Try burning them in the back garden, in a big pile of leaves and fallen branches (works best in the autumn)

HTH
    Pick a nice day and fire up the BBQ as well to cover the smell of cooking meat.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Is Wilmslow trying to bury something under the floorboards and asks how to concrete them better?

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm wondering just how much of that lovely cavity wall insulation stuff ended up under the floor.

I'm convinced they didn't bother sleeving the air vents for the ground floor.

I suppose I shall have to investigate myself.
    Yes, you could have a point - will check the air vent bricks this evening.

Going to get a quiet decent brand demumidifier and put on 24/7 continuous drain for now, and consider taking it off once central heating territory kicks back in.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Just in case anyone else has had this issue and overcome it.

My bungalow is 1960’s, and is direct to the earth below the floorboards.

Subsequently, I sometimes get some damp below the floorboards.

Cheers.
    The problem is you're running out of space for all those neighbours' bodies.

Try burning them in the back garden, in a big pile of leaves and fallen branches (works best in the autumn)

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Hang yourself.
    ftfy.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Get a boat.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Houses used to be much more interesting then. As kid I spent many hours crawling through the foundation space looking for my hamsters whenever they escaped. I was terrified that zombies would get me.
    Very true, currently they are trying to make houses air tight: let’s hope they fail

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Floor wetter.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Houses used to be much more interesting then. As kid I spent many hours crawling through the foundation space looking for my hamsters whenever they escaped. I was terrified that zombies would get me.

PS Perhaps you could grow psychogenic mushrooms down there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X