• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dr Who - A good man goes to war - Spoilers"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The fixed point was the witnessing of the shooting of the doctor and his body being burned. It had to convince those who wanted him dead. If he wasn't the only one in the robot, presumably he evacuated the others when he left himself - you can see the Tardis in the background.

It did strike me initially as "with one bound Jack was free", but on reflection, it does work. It'll be interesting to watch the series again, and see if there are any hints about it being the robot.

I expect that Moffett has written it this way to get away from the cosmic scale - I mean, how many times can you end the series with the fabric of space and time being threatened?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Interesting, but I wish they hadn't crammed it all into one 45min episode.

Also, aren't the universe and 'fixed points in time' smarter than sending a look-a-like? The Doctor had to die, not a robot... he was present but escaped. Did all the people in that robot sacrifice their lives for him?

And - how will he keep a low profile? Seems unlikely. I wonder if the BBC mean to ever kill him off and end it for good.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Excellent episode.

Truly brilliant in contrast with that piece of tulip they put out last week.

As an added advantage it didn't have that obnoxious **** from last week in it either.

Loved the machine gun part.
    Cold blooded murder, eyepatches, twists & turns. It was could.

Who? WHO? WHO!!!!!???????

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    New it.

Didn't see that coming.

New they'd use that.

Ah. Not quite what I thought.

He's gonna finish it now.

Ah. Feck. Feckers.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    While Melody/River could regenerate, she can't now, so it's really in incidental plot point.

Can't watch it on Saturday, don't want to wait until thursday for the repeat, and iPlayer via VPN is a bit flaky... so I've bought a digital receiver/recorder.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You missed out that Song was part time lord and could regenerate until she killed the doctor as Melody and then bought him back to life and that Rory is a two thousand year old roman centurion who gets killed a lot.

Oh and is a deffo to die on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    How come Pond is totally nonplussed by the fact she was abducted for months, had her baby stolen, etc? Fairly traumatic event...
    Doesn't quite work, does it? Especially in conjunction with the high-emotion of the end of the first half of the series.

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Is it that difficult. Not seen it in ages. Then saw the last 2. Wasnt sure what was going on.

I quite liked the reference to "The girls who waited" in the perfume add in the shop. Think that may be a point to note.

Is River song the out of time daughter of the Dr and Amy?
    It is her who will shoot him isn't it?

I could probably do with a precis of the last 5 seasons really.
    The current incarnation of the doctor is shot dead (no regen) by someone wearing an astronaut suit. Aliens rule the earth, but we forget about them as soon as we stop seeing them. River Song's real name is Melody Pond - daughter of Amy and Rory Williams, who conceived her on the Tardis, so she fly it. The Tardis is a living sentient multi-dimensional being with whom the doctor has a love affair. The Tardis will be (has been) blown up at some point, for reasons unknown. The real Amy was substituted for an artificial one who thought she was real, so the real Amy could have Melody who's been forged into a weapon to kill the doctor. The doctor is aware of his coming death.

Did I miss anything?

If you watch it in order, when not drunk, it's not that hard to keep track of what's going on. Though if you've a 12 year old to give you hints, it does help. Aside from the gaping plot holes - or even including them as they are what Doctor Who is all about anyway - it's a lot of fun to watch. There's even some good script writing and acting from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Shame to spoil a CyberMan episode with so much guff. And WTF was that rat thing all about? We only got about 1min of actual cyberman footage
    Agreed about the cyber rats. I couldn't help thinking about Rod Hull and Emu when they attacked.

Leave a comment:

• Black Dalek
    replied
    That makes it a bit better - I thought it was like the coloured daleks all over again.
    What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    How come Pond is totally nonplussed by the fact she was abducted for months, had her baby stolen, etc? Fairly traumatic event...
    Quite normal in Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    I think it's becoming too complex for its own good.

When you have to consult forums to figure out exactly wtf is going on, it's jump the shark time.
    Is it that difficult. Not seen it in ages. Then saw the last 2. Wasnt sure what was going on.

I quite liked the reference to "The girls who waited" in the perfume add in the shop. Think that may be a point to note.

Is River song the out of time daughter of the Dr and Amy?
    It is her who will shoot him isn't it?

I could probably do with a precis of the last 5 seasons really.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The rat thing goes back to the Hartnell days I seem to recall, so it's not a new invention.

Cybermat - TARDIS Index File, the Doctor Who Wiki
    That makes it a bit better - I thought it was like the coloured daleks all over again.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It was a laugh episode. Marginally better than the previous one, which didn't feel right at all. For these last two, there's a sense of filler - not really moving the story forward. Next saturday's should be a cracker - and I'll probably be proved wrong and the last two stories will be integral to the plot and it'll all make devious sense.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It was a good episode but the cyberman thing was a bit random. I'm assuming it was Mondis cyberman but difficult to tell.

And then the bit where he escaped the suit. WTF! Love. It's not Harry Potter FFS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X