• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Hail Hail!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hail Hail!"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I've only ever been to football matches in England and they have a lot of chanting etc but they seem to try really hard to make it a "family experience".

Maybe it'll eventually go that way in Scotland.
    For those who know, does it vary a lot between clubs or is that just what rival fans say? It sounds pretty grim up in the NE for instance... local stereotypes etc...

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well I wish you would make your mind up. A bit further up the page you were whining and bitching about the singing of the "Boys of the Old Brigade", which patently IS about the Easter Rising. Which is it?
    You don't even know the history of the songs you're on about. "The Boys of the Old Brigade" was about Cogadh na Saoirse not about the Easter Rising.

You are clearly putting a great deal of effort into trying to dragging us down to your level.
    You just don't get it do you? You are at our level. No matter how much you squirm and deflect, the rest of Scottish society views the Old Firm as being as bad as each other. For every cry of "Dirty Fenian Bastard" there's a reply of "Dirty Orange Bastard". For every "F**k the Pope" there's a "F**k the Queen".

Both clubs have their bigoted element, Rangers are in UEFA's sights just now, but Celtic will be there soon enough, you actually need to qualify for the later stages for them to start to take notice. Instead of both sides trying to blame the other they need to work together to eradicate it. However, denial will not help. Get your head out of the sand and into the 21st century.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I've only ever been to football matches in England and they have a lot of chanting etc but they seem to try really hard to make it a "family experience".

Maybe it'll eventually go that way in Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Thats pretty shocking.
    More shocking is that all the people still go. I can't imagine deciding to take one's wife/kid somewhere that this is routine, just to watch a sports fixture.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Thats pretty shocking.
    Unfortunately CM, with both sets of fans, that's just 'normal' behaviour.

If I go to a Motherwell/Rangers game, I'll get the same, except i'll be a fenian bastard instead of an orange bastard

The arguement about who is the 'best' between the two is like arguing over whether you want to die of a heart attack or a stroke. Neither is going to be pleasant.

F U C K the lot of them

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    If anyone neutral wants to come to a game with me, as a neutral, they'd be welcome to come and 'enjoy the experience'.

On Saturday, I experienced the following walking down Aitkenhead Road (before the game):

One bottle thrown at me and my eleven year old son.

Called a dirty hun/orange bastard at least a dozen times.

Spat at while walking towards the Hampden entrances (spit mixed with the usual hun/orange bastard chants).

So who was that Shaun ? Was that Rangers fans in disguise ? Was it 'non sectarian' ?

FWIW, I think (as a neutral) that Rangers and Celtic fans are two cheeks of the same arse. You can argue about how one is better than the other all day long. Truth is, both sides have a very high percentage of c**ts in their support.
    Thats pretty shocking.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    We both know they aren't chanting for the Easter rising
    Well I wish you would make your mind up. A bit further up the page you were whining and bitching about the singing of the "Boys of the Old Brigade", which patently IS about the Easter Rising. Which is it?

I know your support more than you do apparently.
    No, you know what you have been brainwashed into thinking. And you don't even seem very clear on that from one post to the next.
    You see, this is your club's problem to a tee. You are an apologist for the scum that support your club like Minestrone. "Our sings aren't sectarian, they're political......", "Our fans are whiter than white, it's them dirty huns that are the problem..."
    I have never claimed that to be the case, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your worn-out little rant.
    UEFA arbitrate on such matters. Why not post links to all the occasions they have censured us en masse for our behaviour? You are clearly putting a great deal of effort into trying to dragging us down to your level. Surely THAT won't be beyond your investigative powers?

Well shock fecking horror!! The leader of the DUP, the Party founded by Ian Paisley no less, does not want to visit Celtic Park. There's a surprise!!

You see shanuy this isn't a game to me. I acknowledge Rangers have an issue with bigotry, the club is doing all it can to eradicate it, but it is not the club's creation.
    Best one yet!!!
    So you don't think that actively pursuing a policy of not signing Catholics for over a hundred years might have been a contributory factor then? Earth to Incog!!!!!!

As far as Celtic are concenred, you're all angels when the rest of British society knows that isn't so.
    Oh so you have the ears of the Board at Celtic as well as at Ibrox now do you?
    Nobody is claiming that we are entirely beyond reproach, and if you stopped cutting and pasting like a frenzied lunatic, you would find that you yourself have contradicted this sentiment in what you have quoted above by pointing out that Celtic's Board and Management have been taking people to task over the issues you raise. How many holes do you have in that foot of yours?
    I have deleted the various individual anecdotal snapshots you have dredged up from such august bodies as the Daily Retard and the Sun as we all know they will print any old guff to sell papers to the spoonfed simpletons in all camps.

Did you win many fair play awards for those events?

I am of the opinion that we should leave the assessments of where we both stand in terms of general behaviours to someone truly independent and impartial. Like UEFA for instance. Now, remind me again, how many Fair Play Awards have Rangers received from them?
    Answers on the back of a stamp!!!

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    As I have posted previously, many famous Irish Republicans were of Protestant faith. But don't take my word for it, try googling on "Wolfe Tone" for example. You might learn something new.
    We both know they aren't chanting for the Easter rising, it's the 70's stylee thugs they are chearing for, hence the "Long Kesh" etc. I know your support more than you do apparently.

And what "balaclava thing" might that be exactly?

Collins didn't wear a ******* hood.

You are just scrabbling round for some sort of equivalence to mask the blatant bigotry of your fanbase.
    You see, this is your club's problem to a tee. You are an apologist for the scum that support your club like Minestrone. "Our sings aren't sectarian, they're political......", "Our fans are whiter than white, it's them dirty huns that are the problem..."

Bollocks.

Your players knew it:
    "I felt I was caught up in a war crisis in Kosovo not involved in a football result that wrecked John Barnes' career as Celtic manager.

"Some so-called fans, a few morons who know nothing better, covered my car in spit, they were shouting obscenities at myself and Regi Blinker.

"They were screaming at me to get back to London, to clear off out of the place and that I didn't deserve to wear their colours. It was stone age stuff from reptiles."
    BBC News | FOOTBALL | Wright condemns Barnes lynch mob

The authorities know it:

Police have issued a warning to Aberdeen and Celtic fans about their behaviour ahead of Saturday's game between the clubs at Pittodrie.
    Grampian Police said there had been recent "isolated incidents" of sectarian and racist behaviour which was "obviously unacceptable".
    Match commander Ch Supt Adrian Watson said it would not be tolerated.
    He added: "The vast majority of supporters that come along to Pittodrie are extremely well behaved."
    A CELTIC fan who waved an IRA flag at Ibrox was yesterday fined £500 and banned from football for three years.
    Yob Aaron Laing, 21, committed the offence while he was dating a niece of then Hoops manager Gordon Strachan.
    And the electrician's lawyer admitted his actions had caused "significant embarrassment" to the family of his girlfriend Ellis Paterson, 17.
    IRA flag Celtic fan hit with a three year football ban | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

The legislature know it:

A fresh controversy over sectarian singing erupted last night when Gregory Campbell, the Northern Ireland Sports Minister, said that he was unlikely to accept an invitation to Celtic Park after IRA chanting by the club's supporters.

The Democratic Unionist Party MP has written to John Reid, the Celtic chairman and former Northern Ireland Secretary, to complain about IRA songs sung by Celtic fans at a game against Motherwell last week.

In his letter, written in his capacity as MP, not Sports Minister, he demanded that the club take more action. He felt that Rangers had taken steps in the wake of a recent controversy about their fans taunting Celtic supporters at an Old Firm game.

The MP called on Celtic to follow suit - otherwise any visit to the club could prove “counter-productive”, he claimed.He added in his letter that he had praised both sides for their work on tackling sectarianism.

The latest row comes after Irish diplomats raised concerns with the Scottish government over Rangers fans chanting the controversial “famine song”, which refers to the Irish potato famine.

Mr Campbell had been invited to Celtic Park after he and his wife were subjected to sectarian abuse by fans on a ferry crossing. But in the wake of the latest incident, the East Londonderry MP said that he believes a visit to Parkhead would send out the wrong message.
    Minister unlikely to visit Celtic after sectarian chanting of fans - Times Online

Your manager knows it:

The Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, has urged supporters to stop unacceptable chanting after noting a re-emergence in recent matches. Irish republican chants were heard at Tynecastle last week when some Celtic fans clashed with stewards following an incident on the touchline which saw a fan charged with assaulting Lennon.
    Neil Lennon urges Celtic fans to stop 'unacceptable' chants | Football | guardian.co.uk

Your self commissioned report aknowledges it:

With this in mind, and taking into account certain chants that have been heard historically in and around the environs that Celtic Football Club play their fixtures we would ask fans to desist in any chants which are based around the Orange Order and wider Loyal Orders. There could, additionally, be problems for supporters who engage in the song commonly referred to as 'Roamin in the Gloamin', primarily for the interjection in the 'song' which states '**** King Billy and John Knox'. Supporters have been ejected and subsequently banned from football for such expressions in the past and on this issue we fully support both the club and the police.
    Celtic FC supporters - Equality and Diversity training - Summary

Must try harder I am afraid Incog. Not scoring many hits.
    You see shanuy this isn't a game to me. I acknowledge Rangers have an issue with bigotry, the club is doing all it can to eradicate it, but it is not the club's creation. Your club do not. How many fans were banned for the 'blood stained poppies stunt?

Celtic boss Neil Lennon has backed the club's promise to ban the supporters behind Saturday's anti-poppy banner but admitted it was a "sensitive issue" at Parkhead which had divided the club's fans.

Lennon, from Lurgan in Northern Ireland, backed the club's promise to take action against the fans group known as the Green Brigade who unfurled a banner during half-time of the 9-0 win over Aberdeen which read: "Your deeds would shame all the devils in Hell. Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan. No bloodstained poppy on our Hoops."
    Celtic boss Neil Lennon backs ban on poppy protesters - Scotsman.com Sport

Oh that's right, none. That's six months, taking their time aren't they? As far as Celtic are concenred, you're all angels when the rest of British society knows that isn't so.

Newcastle -

Celtic fans… where do you start with this lot? Well, I could start by saying that I hope I won't have the misfortune of sharing a football stadium with them again. I promised myself I would never return to St James' Park if Celtic were the visitors after the debacle of Peter Beardsley's testimonial. Up against a midfield of Guilitt, Daglish, Keegan and Waddle, they were baying for blood and goals like it was a european cup final (without even a hint of irony either) and as for their personal habits….!

They seemed locked in some sad, scarf-wristed time-warp from the mid-1970's, singing songs about unrelated confrontations which took place hundreds of years ago, paying little or not attention to what was happening on the pitch and generally messing up the town with their own brand of p**s, vomit and sectarian bile.

When Shearer then invited them to take part in his testimonial, I just couldn't stomach it. I bid my farewells to the great man as he limped off near the end of his final Premiership game and the fact that these toe rags spent most of tonight slagging off England's greatest ever centre-forward proved I was right all along. I mean, we wouldn't dream of turning up at Parkhead completely off our tits to deride Kenny Dalglish or roy Keane would we boys and girls? OK, maybe we would but I for one wouldn't go within a hundred miles of any fixture staged to celebrate the careers of those two miserable Celts so at least I'm no hypocrite.
    Eight and a half years after they soiled King Peter's coronation, absolutely nothing has changed and I hope they never set foot in our city again quite frankly. Aside from the fact that they seemed all too happy to pee in the streets whilst young families made their way to the game, throwing litter and insults as they passed, half of them didn't know where the Falkirk they were, I actually saw one Neanderthal so out of it he kicked a traffic cone all the way up Strawberry Place pausing only to remind himself that he was on his way to a game of football…
    http://i7.tinypic.com/62dwwf4.jpg

Hibs -

Hearts -

Rangers -

A CELTIC fan punched a female Rangers supporter in the face after seeing his side lose the SPL title.
    Paul Connell unleashed a sickening tirade of abuse, calling Donna Brereton an "Orange cow" at a party on the final day of last season.
    Connell had been to Celtic Park hoping to see his team win the league - but they drew and Rangers won to be crowned champions.
    Celtic fan fined after punching Rangers girl in the face following title loss - The Daily Record

Did you win many fair play awards for those events?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    How come Rangers didn't win it? The best team in Scotland should have at least been in the final Shirley?
    It's like how Stoke made it to the FA Cup Final and Birmingham won the Carling cup.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    If anyone neutral wants to come to a game with me, as a neutral, they'd be welcome to come and 'enjoy the experience'.

On Saturday, I experienced the following walking down Aitkenhead Road (before the game):

One bottle thrown at me and my eleven year old son.

Called a dirty hun/orange bastard at least a dozen times.

Spat at while walking towards the Hampden entrances (spit mixed with the usual hun/orange bastard chants).

So who was that Shaun ? Was that Rangers fans in disguise ? Was it 'non sectarian' ?

FWIW, I think (as a neutral) that Rangers and Celtic fans are two cheeks of the same arse. You can argue about how one is better than the other all day long. Truth is, both sides have a very high percentage of c**ts in their support.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    It's Anti-British and Anti-Protestant, the songs they sing are nothing to do with the Easter uprising, it's to do with the current thugs, hence the balaclava thing.
    As I have posted previously, many famous Irish Republicans were of Protestant faith. But don't take my word for it, try googling on "Wolfe Tone" for example. You might learn something new.
    And what "balaclava thing" might that be exactly?
    You are just scrabbling round for some sort of equivalence to mask the blatant bigotry of your fanbase.
    The old "one is as bad as the other" argument might work in Scotland, but it doesn't fool UEFA.
    If anyone neutral is interested in making their own choices on this, I would urge you to investigate what the powers that be outwith Scotland make of the two teams and see which one gets the Fair Play Awards and which one routinely gets fined for rioting and the like.
    Must try harder I am afraid Incog. Not scoring many hits.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Nice, a few dozen or the full 20%+ required to be entitled to claim enough ownership to influence decisions? Without that you hardly qualify to use the personal pronouns.

As you might have guessed I tend to think that people who refer to the team they support as "we" have delusions of excessive grandeur or (as you called me in the rep) are c0cks.
    Very good, your opinion matters nothing to me. I have supported Rangers since I was a boy, my family all support Rangers, my grandfather supported them as a lad.

The club is more than ownership, it is identity and I will use the personal pronoun when referring to that identity when and where I please. So balls to you too.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I do hold shares in the club actually, so what's your point caller?
    Nice, a few dozen or the full 20%+ required to be entitled to claim enough ownership to influence decisions? Without that you hardly qualify to use the personal pronouns.

As you might have guessed I tend to think that people who refer to the team they support as "we" have delusions of excessive grandeur or (as you called me in the rep) are c0cks.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 22 May 2011, 22:59.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Why is it Celtic with a soft initial 'C' for the footy Club - ie Seltik? Yet all other variants are Hard 'K' - Keltik Cross, Keltik Music, etc...

The Kelts?

I'm genuinely interested if anyone knows...
    English bastardisation of the Greek (Keltoi) / Latin (Celtae) translation. It's only been the last 50 years or so where the hard pronunciation of the C has taken favour again when referring to heritage/culture. The sports teams (Boston and Glasgow) are followed by pig ignorant people who don't know any better.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Will Lennon be celebrating with party poppers or is his mail being redirected

Leave a comment:

Working...
X