• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Divorce lawyer who understands contractors"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    An alternative reason for that statistic could be that men are pretty crap
    I my work with f4j I discovered that most men are totally crap. But there are a few good ones out there.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Wisest advice on this entire thread.

Along with those who stated "DO. NOT. GET. MARRIED."

And "EVER."
    I think I said that for several years after my divorce. And I said I would never have kids.

I am now remarried with another kid. But this team its wotking out great!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But the system is biased in a woman's favour - which is why 70% of divorces are initiated by women.
    An alternative reason for that statistic could be that men are pretty crap

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Wow, forgot about this thread. I'm sure now the OP has had his eyes opened wide at all the legal shenanigans and is now busily joining the "never getting married in the UK again" club.

A word of warning to those thinking of co-habiting - don't. Although when I last looked, common-law gives very little rights compared with marriage, you can be guaranteed as more and more people cohabit, the lawyers will insist on the laws being changed to maintain their status quo.

Plus you avoid all the possibility of a long drawn out "try-it-on" claim in court with a greedy lawyer, however unsuccessful.

Invite 'em in on the Friday night, send 'em packing on a Sunday evening, ensuring all their personal items are gone too. Repeat until bored.
    Wisest advice on this entire thread.

Along with those who stated "DO. NOT. GET. MARRIED."

And "EVER."

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Wow, forgot about this thread. I'm sure now the OP has had his eyes opened wide at all the legal shenanigans and is now busily joining the "never getting married in the UK again" club.

A word of warning to those thinking of co-habiting - don't. Although when I last looked, common-law gives very little rights compared with marriage, you can be guaranteed as more and more people cohabit, the lawyers will insist on the laws being changed to maintain their status quo.

Plus you avoid all the possibility of a long drawn out "try-it-on" claim in court with a greedy lawyer, however unsuccessful.

Invite 'em in on the Friday night, send 'em packing on a Sunday evening, ensuring all their personal items are gone too. Repeat until bored.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    90/10!!! WTF!!
    Yeah, same

But it was worth it

For a long time I reckoned that a hitman would be cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Archiving this for when Mrs MF dies in freak car accident.
    Bugger.

I'll have to install that wall heater above the bath then.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    90/10!!! WTF!!

What was the thinking behind that then? Had the missus given up a high paying career to have kids or was it a case of how much you'll have to pay until the kids have grown up type thing.

I'd have started messing with the brake cables way before it got to that stage.
    Archiving this for when Mrs MF dies in freak car accident.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I think we had similar solicitors. . No fire in her belly for my cause.

At the end of the day was more than willing to support my children, but it was so frustrating when you have worked hard for many years to get a nice house and what have you, for it all to by whipped from under you. 65/35 was suggested in the first instance, ended up being 90/10 in her favour.

My kids are all grown up now bar 1 who lives with me, so I never really have to even see my ex, which is great. She thinks it was all fair and reasonable and I don't. We'll have to agree to disagree. And life is now great.

Whatever the situation ends up being, as someone else said, there is always an end to it. Be it a year or 14, was about 8 or 9 years for me, just keep looking towards the light at the end of the tunnel. Time heals, or at least makes it scab over a bit.
    90/10!!! WTF!!

What was the thinking behind that then? Had the missus given up a high paying career to have kids or was it a case of how much you'll have to pay until the kids have grown up type thing.

I'd have started messing with the brake cables way before it got to that stage.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    My Lawyer would have made a poor office junior at best - hers would have been good writers for a tabloid newspaper (sensationalist nonsense, bad grammar and spelling) - in fact, she used Lady Di's lawyers. It is a filthy trade.

I think we had similar solicitors. . No fire in her belly for my cause.

At the end of the day was more than willing to support my children, but it was so frustrating when you have worked hard for many years to get a nice house and what have you, for it all to by whipped from under you. 65/35 was suggested in the first instance, ended up being 90/10 in her favour.

My kids are all grown up now bar 1 who lives with me, so I never really have to even see my ex, which is great. She thinks it was all fair and reasonable and I don't. We'll have to agree to disagree. And life is now great.

Whatever the situation ends up being, as someone else said, there is always an end to it. Be it a year or 14, was about 8 or 9 years for me, just keep looking towards the light at the end of the tunnel. Time heals, or at least makes it scab over a bit.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 22 February 2012, 08:58.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Warning - no lawyer understands anything much except how to bill extra for breathing. Do not use a lawyer, ever, if you can help it. My divorce cost >32K in lawyers for no gain. She wanted lifetime maintenance in spite of having her own business and we had no kids. I hear what people say about there being reasonable women out there - I just seem to attract the bad ones.

I too am never getting married again - but lawyers keep trying to cook up plans to give co-habitees rights to pay lawyers lots of money.

My Lawyer would have made a poor office junior at best - hers would have been good writers for a tabloid newspaper (sensationalist nonsense, bad grammar and spelling) - in fact, she used Lady Di's lawyers. It is a filthy trade.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 22 February 2012, 08:23.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Terrifying isn’t it, the average married bloke is one decent row away from ending up in a bedsit. 6 months later some wayne will be sat in his Laz-e-boy drinking cold lager which he is paying for, watching his widescreen and bringing up his kids. In the meantime his ex is turning them against him and making his life hell – wonderful, where do I sign….
    Is this why you should aim to marry someone more wealthy than you?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Represent yourself and make sure the Judge is a Mason - worked for me.
    WHS.

Least you'll still keep your dignity.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor99 View Post
    Guys

I would appreciate some advice. I've been freelance 17 years, just left my wife, got a new flat and started discussions on divorce. I've been married only 6 years. My wife expects me to hand over 275,000 plus maintenance of >1,000 per month for the next 14 years. Currently I am paying my wife 3,000 per month whilst i live away from home.

I need a solicitor that understands freelancing. I don't think my current one does, so am uncomfortable with them representing me.

Can anybody recommend a good lawyer please? I need one fast.

I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks
    M

Represent yourself and make sure the Judge is a Mason - worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Yes. I got the kids - my ex got the money. I got by far the best deal. I know of a few men in my shoes.
    So she got your money and your shoes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X