• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Vote no for AV

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vote no for AV"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    I see Cameron's been making a complete arse of himself over this

Doesn't he realise that, if he talks obvious crap over this one issue, it makes everything he says about any other issue in the future suspect?

Apparently his expensive education managed to skip the fable about the boy who cried "Wolf". Classics at Eton isn't what it used to be

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It doesn't take a brain to see that's a bit odd.
    Good thing in your case or that would be something else that goes so far over your head it leaves a vapour trail.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    A vote FOR AV is a vote to give the Liberal Democrats a permanent seat around the cabinet table

I have just voted NO
    Voting for a system based on the outcome it will give isn't really what democracy is about.

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    that's just what the Liberals are doing
    Yes undoubtedly but in this case the facts back their argument as SB mentions. It's theoretically possible in England that one party could get 40%+ of the votes but not one single seat, if all constituencies had a uniform voting distribution. It doesn't take a brain to see that's a bit odd.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Indeed. SB and Sas have shown their are idiots on both sides.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A fool may say the sun is shining, but that doesn't make it dark outside.
    Indeed. SB and Sas have shown their are idiots on both sides.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Stephen Fry and Eddie Izzard, the usual novelty hounds (and publicity hounds), have been campaigning for AV

That on its own should be enough to convince anyone in their right mind to vote no.
    A fool may say the sun is shining, but that doesn't make it dark outside.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Stephen Fry and Eddie Izzard, the usual novelty hounds (and publicity hounds), have been campaigning for AV

That on its own should be enough to convince anyone in their right mind to vote no.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Because NO ONE gets what they voted for, manifesto's become a waste of time as each party can claim that they had to compromise.

Manifesto's are a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Oh bo11ocks. The missus has only gone and voted yes. Now I'm going to have to go out and cancel hers out

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    That would be the same Liberal Democrats that polled 23% of the national vote at the last General Election would it?
    And it is unfair for them to have any real voice why exactly?

Well done. Did you manage that on your own or did Mummy tell you how to vote?
    Because it all ends up as a fudge, a small minority watering down a potential strong government.

No my mum died 10 years ago, but she did teach me to make my own mind up.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What's the problem if they have a couple of seats? Current situation is disproportional because they held everyone to ransom so got far more than they should have achieved.
    Because NO ONE gets what they voted for, manifesto's become a waste of time as each party can claim that they had to compromise.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    No argument with that principle, however your reasoning seems to be to pick a voting system based on the outcome you want it to achieve. Which is bad in the field of politics just as much as it is in science.
    But that's just what the Liberals are doing

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    A vote FOR AV is a vote to give the Liberal Democrats a permanent seat around the cabinet table
    That would be the same Liberal Democrats that polled 23% of the national vote at the last General Election would it?
    And it is unfair for them to have any real voice why exactly?

I have just voted NO
    Well done. Did you manage that on your own or did Mummy tell you how to vote?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    A vote FOR AV is a vote to give the Liberal Democrats a permanent seat
    What's the problem if they have a couple of seats? Current situation is disproportional because they held everyone to ransom so got far more than they should have achieved.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied

I have just voted NO

Leave a comment:

Working...
X