• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Burial at Sea

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Burial at Sea"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Osama Bin Laden = Lob da man in sea

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    reminds me of the Indian Rebellion of 1857

the ammunition for new Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle. These rifles had a tighter fit, and used paper cartridges that came pre-greased. To load the rifle, sepoys had to bite the cartridge open to release the powder[19]. Now, the grease used on these cartridges included tallow (pork or beef fat), which is considered sacrilegious by both Hindus and Muslims. At least one British official pointed out the difficulties this may cause
    Indian Rebellion of 1857 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• landl
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Just think, if they made the pilots seat out of pig skin, and the joystick out of a pigs trotter, we wouldnt have to empty out all our liquids before we got onto a blooming plane

The day they do that, pigs will fly...

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    I love this thread

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They do good pork sausage in Dubai, in the secret bit of the shop.
    The one in Waitrose? Seriously bizarre isn't it? But handy too. Still get to have your fry up.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They do good pork sausage in Dubai, in the secret bit of the shop.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Just imagine.

you get to the gates of paradise. 72 juicy virgins are smiling and waving at you through the big wrought iron pearly gates, when suddenly...

an angel of the host says, 'is that something in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?. You pull it out, 'oh my, what have those marines put in my pocket ?'
    it's a sausage. but is it a beef sausage, or is it a pork sausage ?

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    thats wrong. If I tell you that I am going to nick you peanuts when you goto the bar, and you dont take precautions, its your fault isnt it ?

because you had the choice, leave them or put them in your pocket. Its a conscious deed, and I am sure that God understands this

It's the placebo effect, the effect of pork is only bad because they believe it to be

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    AFAIK it's an urban legend. Anyway, it wouldn't affect the deceased's chances in the next world:
    thats wrong. If I tell you that I am going to nick you peanuts when you goto the bar, and you dont take precautions, its your fault isnt it ?

because you had the choice, leave them or put them in your pocket. Its a conscious deed, and I am sure that God understands this

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Here's Snopes' take on the matter.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    That is what the Spetsnaz do in Russia. They use pig fat and pig skin.
    Just think, if they made the pilots seat out of pig skin, and the joystick out of a pigs trotter, we wouldnt have to empty out all our liquids before we got onto a blooming plane

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    AFAIK it's an urban legend. Anyway, it wouldn't affect the deceased's chances in the next world:

...on the Day of Judgment, a person would only be held responsible for the deeds, which he has intentionally committed. Obviously, whatever is done to the corpse of a person cannot be considered as a 'deed' of that person. The dead person will not be held accountable for any of the deeds of the living.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I was about to reply to the OBL thread, but its been closed. I was thinking about some stories I heard many moons ago about some of the mutinies in India against the Raj.
    One, that my dad told me, was if the enemy was a muslim, they would bury them in a pig skin, because that way, they would never get to heaven. I am not sure if it worked in deterring the jihadists, but it makes me wonder exactly what did happen to OBL.

I also remember reading some stuff about an American general called Pershing, who was a bit of an Anglophile. He did something similar (allegedly) during a muslim uprising in the Phillipines just after the first world war.

That is what the Spetsnaz do in Russia. They use pig fat and pig skin.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    One thing's for certain, there's no way OBL's head can be buried pointing to Mecca. Well not 100% of the time anyway...

And what if it gets washed ashore?
    Then you'll know that he had a traditional islamic decapitation

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    One thing's for certain, there's no way OBL's head can be buried pointing to Mecca. Well not 100% of the time anyway...

And what if it gets washed ashore?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X