• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would you do..."

Collapse

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    well ok perhaps MarillionFan but don't follow his example
    No comment.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    and thus will refer you to my original post - 'file under ignore'

the agent is not omnipotent - what can they do except threaten to add you to an imaginary black-list all agents takes their time to maintain and share

as ATV you shouldn't burn bridges but i'd say don't burn the bridges that lead somewhere useful, the ones that take you to places you don't want to be are ripe for burning and the fact that the agent is so pushy smacks of desperation which implies the magic 'magic bullet' contract is unlikely to come from them...

don't think anyone has ever taken a job because the middle-man forced them to and not saying you will but you should have f*cked em off long ago
    To be honest, I needed the interviewing experience, which is the main reason why I reluctantly went to the interview. I am sure I will land an interview for a perfet role and will get asked similar questions which I need to be able to answer.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Sorry another serious answer.

Write them a 'sorry you have not been accepted for the post' email /Letter.

Explain it doesn't fit with your long term plan and the post wasn't something that would suit you.

Offer them I'll do it as a x week contract for £x (if you wish).

Thank them for your interest in hiring your skills and assure you will keep them on file.

Can't get more professional than that. Bridge raised but not a single burn mark.

Send to Agent & client.

Alternatively get some cards made up with agents phone number (cost you about a fiver if you print them yourself) and a picture of some gay model tag line phone X for XXXX. Then pop them in some phone boxes. OK it doesn't solve your problem but it will make you smile.
    Your second suggestion sounds more sensible. After looking at his profile on LinkedIn, I don't think I would need to use a different photograph.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Well, the agent phoned again today, and I told him that I was still not interested in the role. The client is still looking for somoene though.

Ironically, the company is known for their Indian Links, so I am surprised they haven't outsourced the work to India to be honest.

The agent finally took the hint that I wasn't interested. Job Done. Hopefully will never hear from them again.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Sorry another serious answer.

Write them a 'sorry you have not been accepted for the post' email /Letter.

Explain it doesn't fit with your long term plan and the post wasn't something that would suit you.

Offer them I'll do it as a x week contract for £x (if you wish).

Thank them for your interest in hiring your skills and assure you will keep them on file.

Can't get more professional than that. Bridge raised but not a single burn mark.

Send to Agent & client.

Alternatively get some cards made up with agents phone number (cost you about a fiver if you print them yourself) and a picture of some gay model tag line phone X for XXXX. Then pop them in some phone boxes. OK it doesn't solve your problem but it will make you smile.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post

If of all the 8 candidates that they interviewed, they are only interested in me (i.e. the person who is least qualified to do the job), I would be worried.
    its because they are all asking for more money- i'd be afraid, very afraid!!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I had an issue with an agent a while back. I did a 10 minute phone interview, didn't like the client and told the agent so.

I was on another client site. Went for a meeting for an hour.

Six missed calls. Phone went again, I answered it was the agent offering the contract. Need you there day after next blah blah.

I said no and asked for another £100 per day. Ten minutes later. Yes. OK!

I was trying to hold off another contract and told her it would take a couple of days and said 12 on Friday. She phoned me 18 times in two days. I had to turn my phone off.

Eventually I agreed to do it. I hated it. Gave notice six weeks into it. First impressions were right. *******!

Just be firm. 'Not interested' and if necessary put the phone down. I hate pushy *******.

don't think anyone has ever taken a job because the middle-man forced them to.....

well ok perhaps MarillionFan but don't follow his example

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Because the agent won't take no for an answer. Seemples.
    and thus will refer you to my original post - 'file under ignore'

the agent is not omnipotent - what can they do except threaten to add you to an imaginary black-list all agents takes their time to maintain and share

as ATV you shouldn't burn bridges but i'd say don't burn the bridges that lead somewhere useful, the ones that take you to places you don't want to be are ripe for burning and the fact that the agent is so pushy smacks of desperation which implies the magic 'magic bullet' contract is unlikely to come from them...

don't think anyone has ever taken a job because the middle-man forced them to and not saying you will but you should have f*cked em off long ago

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Apologies for being sensible, but couldn't you just tell the agent the real reason why you don't want the job (whatever the real reason is)? You have a perfect right to do so: an interview is a 2-way assessment process, not a cattle market.
    And what makes you think I didn't tell the agent the truth? The agent wouldn't know the truth if it hit him in the face with a 10 ton truck.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Maybe all the other 7 candidates had completely tulip personalities who they knew they wouldn't get on with, there as you being an ex-contractor they knew wouldn't brown-nose and just get on with the job.

Anyway if being polite doesn't work with the agent then be blatantly rude - i.e. "I told you f***ing NO I won't do the job" and go into a bit of a rant with some swear words thrown in not letting the agent talk. I have found if being polite doesn't work being blatantly rude does.
    Ironically, I know that there personalities have a lot to do with it. The agent is too blinkered in his ways to take no for an answer. As far as the agent is concerned, I am not looking at the "Bigger Picture" and "The Long Term View". Anyway, I didn't like the techie who interviewed me as he was a complete c*ck, but me being the diplomatic type, didn't take the bait during the interview, and i know I would walk sooner rather than later if I actually worked with the guy on a day to day basis.

I was suppose to be called by the interviewer earlier, but I will give the guy a piece of my mind and tell him that I don't the job, if he ever decide to call me.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Oh I know it's my life.... just looking for better ways to slap the agent and tell them to bugger off.

If of all the 8 candidates that they interviewed, they are only interested in me (i.e. the person who is least qualified to do the job), I would be worried.
    Maybe all the other 7 candidates had completely tulip personalities who they knew they wouldn't get on with, there as you being an ex-contractor they knew wouldn't brown-nose and just get on with the job.

Anyway if being polite doesn't work with the agent then be blatantly rude - i.e. "I told you f***ing NO I won't do the job" and go into a bit of a rant with some swear words thrown in not letting the agent talk. I have found if being polite doesn't work being blatantly rude does.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Agreed, its your life, all you do is say "Look im not interested, please don't contact me again"

Or "So the client agreed to the 50k....per month?"
    Oh I know it's my life.... just looking for better ways to slap the agent and tell them to bugger off.

I am waiting for the guy who interviewed me to call me so I an tell him what he needs to hear (i.e. if he wants the headache of chasing the money he paid to the agent after a few months, then either he is insane or absolutely nuts). If the company comes to me with an opportunity to go in as a contractor until they find someone better, well that may be a different matter (obviously, subject to contract, etc).

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    As hysterical as this banter is, get some gonads and just tell the agent you don't want the job.

HTH
    Agreed, its your life, all you do is say "Look im not interested, please don't contact me again"

Or "So the client agreed to the 50k....per month?"

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Have you successfully managed to sell any on E-Bay?
    As hysterical as this banter is, get some gonads and just tell the agent you don't want the job.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    ... if an agent won't take no for an answer? I had an interview for a role on the dark side yesterday for a role that I wasn't fully qualified to do. Had to do a presentation (which was badly done, but somehow the client was impressed) and answer some technical questions (which I answered badly).

It appears that I am in with a chance of getting the role, but don't want it. The agent will not take no for an answer. Obviously he will lose out on his lump of commission if I don't take the role.

Any suggestions? (Sarcasm, witty and rude answers welcome).
    Apologies for being sensible, but couldn't you just tell the agent the real reason why you don't want the job (whatever the real reason is)? You have a perfect right to do so: an interview is a 2-way assessment process, not a cattle market.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X