• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Apologies for being sensible, but couldn't you just tell the agent the real reason why you don't want the job (whatever the real reason is)? You have a perfect right to do so: an interview is a 2-way assessment process, not a cattle market.
    And what makes you think I didn't tell the agent the truth? The agent wouldn't know the truth if it hit him in the face with a 10 ton truck.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Because the agent won't take no for an answer. Seemples.
      and thus will refer you to my original post - 'file under ignore'

the agent is not omnipotent - what can they do except threaten to add you to an imaginary black-list all agents takes their time to maintain and share

as ATV you shouldn't burn bridges but i'd say don't burn the bridges that lead somewhere useful, the ones that take you to places you don't want to be are ripe for burning and the fact that the agent is so pushy smacks of desperation which implies the magic 'magic bullet' contract is unlikely to come from them...

don't think anyone has ever taken a job because the middle-man forced them to and not saying you will but you should have f*cked em off long ago
      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I had an issue with an agent a while back. I did a 10 minute phone interview, didn't like the client and told the agent so.

I was on another client site. Went for a meeting for an hour.

Six missed calls. Phone went again, I answered it was the agent offering the contract. Need you there day after next blah blah.

I said no and asked for another £100 per day. Ten minutes later. Yes. OK!

I was trying to hold off another contract and told her it would take a couple of days and said 12 on Friday. She phoned me 18 times in two days. I had to turn my phone off.

Eventually I agreed to do it. I hated it. Gave notice six weeks into it. First impressions were right. *******!

Just be firm. 'Not interested' and if necessary put the phone down. I hate pushy *******.
        Originally posted by 2BIT View Post

don't think anyone has ever taken a job because the middle-man forced them to.....

well ok perhaps MarillionFan but don't follow his example
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post

If of all the 8 candidates that they interviewed, they are only interested in me (i.e. the person who is least qualified to do the job), I would be worried.
          its because they are all asking for more money- i'd be afraid, very afraid!!

Comment

Sorry another serious answer.

Write them a 'sorry you have not been accepted for the post' email /Letter.

Explain it doesn't fit with your long term plan and the post wasn't something that would suit you.

Offer them I'll do it as a x week contract for £x (if you wish).

Thank them for your interest in hiring your skills and assure you will keep them on file.

Can't get more professional than that. Bridge raised but not a single burn mark.

Send to Agent & client.

Alternatively get some cards made up with agents phone number (cost you about a fiver if you print them yourself) and a picture of some gay model tag line phone X for XXXX. Then pop them in some phone boxes. OK it doesn't solve your problem but it will make you smile.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Well, the agent phoned again today, and I told him that I was still not interested in the role. The client is still looking for somoene though.

Ironically, the company is known for their Indian Links, so I am surprised they haven't outsourced the work to India to be honest.

The agent finally took the hint that I wasn't interested. Job Done. Hopefully will never hear from them again.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Sorry another serious answer.

Write them a 'sorry you have not been accepted for the post' email /Letter.

Explain it doesn't fit with your long term plan and the post wasn't something that would suit you.

Offer them I'll do it as a x week contract for £x (if you wish).

Thank them for your interest in hiring your skills and assure you will keep them on file.

Can't get more professional than that. Bridge raised but not a single burn mark.

Send to Agent & client.

Alternatively get some cards made up with agents phone number (cost you about a fiver if you print them yourself) and a picture of some gay model tag line phone X for XXXX. Then pop them in some phone boxes. OK it doesn't solve your problem but it will make you smile.
                Your second suggestion sounds more sensible. After looking at his profile on LinkedIn, I don't think I would need to use a different photograph.

Comment

and thus will refer you to my original post - 'file under ignore'

the agent is not omnipotent - what can they do except threaten to add you to an imaginary black-list all agents takes their time to maintain and share

as ATV you shouldn't burn bridges but i'd say don't burn the bridges that lead somewhere useful, the ones that take you to places you don't want to be are ripe for burning and the fact that the agent is so pushy smacks of desperation which implies the magic 'magic bullet' contract is unlikely to come from them...

don't think anyone has ever taken a job because the middle-man forced them to and not saying you will but you should have f*cked em off long ago
                  To be honest, I needed the interviewing experience, which is the main reason why I reluctantly went to the interview. I am sure I will land an interview for a perfet role and will get asked similar questions which I need to be able to answer.

Comment

well ok perhaps MarillionFan but don't follow his example
                    No comment.

Comment

Working...
                    X