• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cycling training

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cycling training"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Have you got one of those little satellite tracker thingies? I use one for jogging.

PS Brighton - bloody nuiances clogging up our roads, cycling should be a criminal offence.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I would go so far as to say if you aren't fit enough that you can do it again after a rest, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
    indeed

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Cycling to the pub then cycling home via the chippy is even better....
    Indeed, great balance training.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Don't know about cutting out on greasy food. Cycling to the chippy is good exercise, then on the way back you have to cycle really quick with the extra weight to get home while it's still warm. Mixing it up...
    Cycling to the pub then cycling home via the chippy is even better....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Don't know about cutting out on greasy food. Cycling to the chippy is good exercise, then on the way back you have to cycle really quick with the extra weight to get home while it's still warm. Mixing it up...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by downsouth View Post
    if your able to do this again you've not done it correctly the first time, its designed as a one set, maximum effort exercise to be done max fortnightly/monthly

Tabata Training - The fastest way to fitness and fat loss
    That is songbird stew. Also known as Boiled larks.

In the original study the exercise was done 4 times a week. That site is all about weight loss, these methods were actually developed for highly trained athletes who had reached a plateau and couldn't increase their performance any further by simply doing more low intensity training.

I would go so far as to say if you aren't fit enough that you can do it again after a rest, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• downsouth
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Plus; if you try tabata intervals on the turbo trainer/exercise bike, you'll find that it improves your VO2 max (maximum oxygen uptake) and your heart rate recovery much quicker than constant pace cycling; you still need to do the long slow mileage, but add in two sessions of tabata intervals per week. Google tabata, but basically it amounts to this;

20 seconds flat out, 10 seconds rest, 20 seconds flat out, 10 seconds rest and so on; repeat 8 times, then rest a few minutes, then do it again.
    if your able to do this again you've not done it correctly the first time, its designed as a one set, maximum effort exercise to be done max fortnightly/monthly

Tabata Training - The fastest way to fitness and fat loss

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    I use Schwalbe City Jets on my mountain bike, they easily add a few mph to the average over knobbly tyres.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Because I compared wattages rather than updating my script to increase the precision for the forces which I didn't compare. Now you're comparing them despite my pointing out this lack of precision for the forces in the post
    I didn't read the post, the figures caught my eye.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    assuming that your "2" is less than "2.5" yes.

However, considering you're gaining 10% with your rounding in that case why just stick to integers?
    Because I compared wattages rather than updating my script to increase the precision for the forces which I didn't compare. Now you're comparing them despite my pointing out this lack of precision for the forces in the post

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Have you never heard the expression 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2?
    assuming that your "2" is less than "2.5" yes.

However, considering you're gaining 10% with your rounding in that case why just stick to integers?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Your figures just looked weird. Don't throw your toys out of the pram.
    Have you never heard the expression 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    The numbers are rounded, what I said. If you really want to see more significant figures, I'll update my script.
    Your figures just looked weird. Don't throw your toys out of the pram.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    When I went to school 11 + 7 = 18

Force req'd = 11N + 7N = 17N?????

And 12 + 7 = 19

Force req'd = 12N + 7N = 18N

Shirley?
    The numbers are rounded, what I said. If you really want to see more significant figures, I'll update my script.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I've got some old javascript knocking around into which I've plugged in some numbers to see the difference numerically rather than getting my pen out and doing it algebraically. This includes aero drag, but there's no hill or wind, in this case.

Comparing a 100kg person cycling at 6 m/s (14mph) versus a slimmed down 90kg person (both inc. bike) doing the same speed. Knobbly tyres and no wind nor hill. Rolling drag. co-eff = 0.0120 (knobbly tyres; narrow tubular tyres can be 0.00475), aero. drag co-eff = 0.185 [ (1/2 * 1.3 kg/m^3 * 0.7 * 0.4m^2) ]

1) 100kg person:
    Speed = 6 m/s = 22 km/h = 14 mph (no wind)
    Rolling drag = 71 watts (64%) Aero drag = 40 watts (36%)

Power req'd = 111 watts (0.1 HP) (*4)

Energy req'd to travel 100 km = 1842 KJ = 0.5 kWh (*4)
    [ car = 83 kWh, 747 = 42kWh per passenger per 100 km (level flight) ]

MPG = 5533 (/4) = 1383 MPG

Will roll to stop in 121 m in 44 secs
    Drag as a function of weight (D/W) : 0.019 (747 = 0.07, ocean birds = 0.1)

2) 90 kg person:
    Speed = 6 m/s = 22 km/h = 14 mph (no wind)
    Rolling drag = 64 watts (61%) Aero drag = 40 watts (39%)

Power req'd = 103 watts (0.1 HP) (*4)
    Force req'd = 11N + 7N = 17N

Energy req'd to travel 100 km = 1724 KJ = 0.5 kWh (*4)
    [ car = 83 kWh, 747 = 42kWh per passenger per 100 km (level flight) ]

MPG = 5911 (/4) = 1478 MPG

Will roll to stop in 119 m in 43 secs
    Drag as a function of weight (D/W) : 0.02 (747 = 0.07, ocean birds = 0.1)

So 10 kg in this case made 8 watts difference (111 versus 103 watts). I didn't display enough significant figures to be able to compare the drag forces for such small differences. The *4 is a reminder to me that humans are only about 25% efficient, so the calorie count would be 4 times higher.
    When I went to school 11 + 7 = 18

Force req'd = 11N + 7N = 17N?????

And 12 + 7 = 19

Shirley?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X